Camera Security Systems???

/ Camera Security Systems??? #251  
i just bought an Arlo Go. i have a couple properties with a couple houses and a lot of trespassers. looking for something easy. been playing with it in my yard to get a feel for it. i am looking for camo for the camera itself and looking for non noticeable simple mounts. i do not want this thing stolen. have a camo skin coming in to start and getting a couple knuckles that i hope to add to ells that have a wood screw end and a 1/4 in thread on other. thought i could leave these in trees and move camera around. don't know where i could go with it. depends how it works out. i have another small property a couple hours away that i might want to move it to once in a while.
Again my largest concern is theft at this point
any thoughts?
i saw a camera at cabellas that used mobile phone service that also looked interesting

/ Camera Security Systems??? #252  
Another update -
I came to realize that my "need" for cameras is far greater than my wallet wants to support.
To decently "cover" a building one usually needs at least 4 cameras, with all their infrastructure, on the corners.
I either need a lot more cameras and wiring or fewer buildings.

Not a solution for someone seeking an inexpensive solution, but is a solution for those that want better coverage of a structure like you are describing. Vivotek makes cameras that use a 360 degree fisheye lens to provide full 360 degree coverage of an area. An installation as you describe, 4 cameras on the four corners of a building, these cameras provide double coverage of all four walls and a 360 degree view surrounding the building. To have the same coverage with standard "point and shoot" type cameras, would require 12 cameras (3 cams on each corner).

The fisheye cameras are not inexpensive when compared to a standard camera, but once you consider the extra cabling and system requirements for 4 cameras versus 12 for the same coverage, the cost of fisheyes are much less expensive.

A PTZ camera requires input to point the camera at what you want to see, a fisheye sees everything all the time... Fisheye is vastly superior to PTZ unless you are spending big dollars on a PTZ that has a really nice "optical zoom" built into the lens AND a security guy to move it around so it is pointed at the guys that are robbing your place.

This is what a fisheye camera sees:
WestLotFisheye_20190406_111126.jpg

This is that same image, rendered in real time by the software into four individual views:
WestLotFisheye_20190406_111126%202.jpg

Last edited:
   / Camera Security Systems??? #253  
Right. Fisheyes and dewarping of the view into multiple is a game changer for a lot of difficult areas.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #254  
If you really want to spend some money on a great PTZ solution that doesn't need a security guy to point it at the action, Vivotek also has a dual camera setup where they couple their fisheye camera to a 20x optical zoom speed dome PTZ camera. The fisheye monitors the full 360 degree field of view, and when the fisheye detects motion, it will direct the PTZ to aim at the moving object and zoom in to capture the action in high detail.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #255  
If you really want to spend some money on a great PTZ solution that doesn't need a security guy to point it at the action, Vivotek also has a dual camera setup where they couple their fisheye camera to a 20x optical zoom speed dome PTZ camera. The fisheye monitors the full 360 degree field of view, and when the fisheye detects motion, it will direct the PTZ to aim at the moving object and zoom in to capture the action in high detail.

Amazing, but simple in concept. Use the fisheye to monitor and the PTZ to zoom in and capture the activity. I had not heard of that before.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #256  

How are the fisheyes at night vision? I know there is no IR, but many cameras do very well without that. Also, how do they do with washout from motion sensor lights? You are right about not being inexpensive but in my case I am looking at 4 cameras at selected corner locations of my house and they would do what 10 standard cameras would be needed to do. Also, what software are you running to handle the multiviews?

/ Camera Security Systems??? #257  
Actually, they do have fisheyes with IR.
Vivotek S Series FE9391-EV 12MP 360° Panomorph FE9391-EV B&H

I use the software that is included with the cameras, VAST2. It is included with no additional cost and has lots of nice features. The cameras do work with other software and other cameras will work with their software.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #258  
$1050........ THUMP... someone call 911

/ Camera Security Systems??? #260  
Those Wyze cameras looked interesting the. I read. Bunch of the reviews on Amazon...lots of concerns about it recording when turned off, connecting to servers in China, other functionality issues.