2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #31  
Not true. If talking pickups, the F350 actually has LESS payload than the F450. Both are class 3 trucks with 14k GVWR. The F450 is heavier due to the much larger axles, brakes, etc. The F450 is just a much more capable truck. Yes, it comes with 19.5" commercial wheels.

Yep, will be out in 2019 as a 2020 model. 7.3L.

V10 is only available in the chassis cab trucks now. It was discontinued due to fuel economy.

I believe we said the same about the F350/F450 DRW pick ups. Rated to tow the same but the F450 can carry more payload. IMG_1463.JPG

Same with my comment that the F250 SRW can tow the same as the F350 SRW but the F350 can carry more payload.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_Nov27.pdf

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #32  
I believe we said the same about the F350/F450 DRW pick ups. Rated to tow the same but the F450 can carry more payload. View attachment 566776

Same with my comment that the F250 SRW can tow the same as the F350 SRW but the F350 can carry more payload.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_Nov27.pdf

The F350 actually has more payload than an F450. Both are limited by the 14k GVWR. The F450 weighs more, so less payload.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #33  
Maybe on paper but the F-450 is twice the truck.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #35  
I have a '16 F250 6.7 diesel 4wd, (same drive train as the '18) and a '03 F350 7.3 dually.
As already stated, the DRW trumps the SRW when towing heavy trailers. Period. Having said that, we're pulling the 31' 5th wheel on a 1000 mile round trip next month, and it will be behind the F250. It's plenty of truck for that trailer. (10K) On the shorter runs pulling the 20K G/N, it always goes behind the dually.

I just wish that I could justify trading the '03 in on a new one with the 6.7 and 4wd. But, I'd like to stay married. :D Maybe one day.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why
I have a '16 F250 6.7 diesel 4wd, (same drive train as the '18) and a '03 F350 7.3 dually.
As already stated, the DRW trumps the SRW when towing heavy trailers. Period. Having said that, we're pulling the 31' 5th wheel on a 1000 mile round trip next month, and it will be behind the F250. It's plenty of truck for that trailer. (10K) On the shorter runs pulling the 20K G/N, it always goes behind the dually.

I just wish that I could justify trading the '03 in on a new one with the 6.7 and 4wd. But, I'd like to stay married. :D Maybe one day.

How much does the 31' 5th weigh; is that the 10k lbs you reference? I imagine it catches some wind too. This piece of advise really helps that you're using your F-250 for that load.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #37  
How much does the 31' 5th weigh; is that the 10k lbs you reference? I imagine it catches some wind too. This piece of advise really helps that you're using your F-250 for that load.

Yes, just under 10K#, dry weight. (not counting gas, water, food, clothing, etc) And, it is a Carriage brand. A good pulling trailer that's well balanced. It's not like my 30' G/N equipment trailer with the tires just in front of the dovetail.
And, please understand, I had RATHER pull any 10K trailer with a DRW, but my DRW truck is 16 years old and I opt for the new truck with SRW over the old truck with DRW. In my opinion, the SRW F250 is ADEQUATE for that trailer, but not ideal.
As I posted above, the next truck I buy will be a F350 DRW with the 6.7 to replace my '03, but that will likely be a few years down the road.

I'd also rather have the F-350 DRW, but I keep looking at the prices and thinking maybe the 250 will do for now.... In 5 years I'll be done getting my kids through college and if want to trade up then, I guess it would be easier to do for me. I just tend to keep vehicles at least 10 years. Currently 2 of my vehicles are 13 and 17 years old. I'm keeping the 13 year old and trading in the 17 year old when I buy the new truck.

Went with the Chevy DMax 2500. After sitting down and negotiating apples/apples comparisons at the dealers (including trade value), got the better deal on the Chevy by a decent amount. I love this thing so far. 2k miles; 18-22 mpg depending on normal or highway. would be higher, but the regen cycle kills the mileage for a bit when it runs.

/ 2018 Diesel Trucks - 3/4 or 1 ton - favorites and why #40  
I've had a bunch of these trucks.... But they've all been Ford. Had an 08 F350 SRW with V10 gasser, an 07 F450 DRW PSD, an 05 F350 V10 gasser, and now a 2014 F250 6.2L gasser with 4.30 gears.

I usually tow between 9k-15k lbs. It's mostly flat where I drive (S/E Michigan). For towing stability, there's no doubt that the f450 dually was the most stable.

But power-wise, they've all been pretty comprable. I really haven't noticed much of a difference between any of them. My current f250 with the 6.2 V8 gas actually drives and tows very well.

After the excellent performance and dependability I've had with my V10 gas engines, most of my family members have switched their motorhomes to the Ford platform and have been extremely happy with them as well. In fact my parents are on a cross-country trip with their 30 foot motorhome with a V10 and absolutely love it. Extremely reliable and great power.

I was really hesitant to buy a newer Ford with the 6.2 l gas engine, my concerns were that coming from the V10s I would notice a lack of power. I will say that with the 4.3 gearing, I don't notice any difference. At this point I don't see myself ever going back to a diesel. But again, the most I ever tow is 16k. Especially with the additional upfront costs, the additional maintenance costs, and the potential long-term costs of the expensive add-on components that modern diesels have.

What really excites me is the new gas engine Ford is coming out with later this year, the 7.3 l gas. that engine is going to be a beast, and allegedly, according to what I've read so far, they are expecting the fuel economy to be just as good, if not better, than the 6.2 l. From the sounds of it, I don't think most current diesel owners would need a diesel when that engine becomes available.

my biggest problem with the new 7.3L though, is that at least so far, I don't like the designs of the new super duties. I prefer the exterior look of my 2014 series, I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned.

Last edited: