Dead Deer

/ Dead Deer #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
Fellow TBN'ers,

While mowing this afternoon and noticing many Turkey Vultures soaring over my hedge row, I came upon this 8-Point buck with and arrow embedded in his midsection. I've never hunted deer, but wish the shooter would have found this creature, because it stinks something terrible. Comment if you wish.

Mike 004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG

/ Dead Deer #3  
This time of year, probably a poacher. AKA scumbag.

/ Dead Deer #4  
Kansas archery season looks like it’s open from Sept 16-Dec 31. With youth and disabled seasons before that. The hunter either lost the deer or he/she didn’t want to trespass on your land to get it. Based on the shot I don’t think the deer ran more than a few properties. If you know your neighbors I’d ask around- they may be interested to know you found it.

It doesn’t look like poaching to me.....

/ Dead Deer #5  
Dont know if it is poacher as I believe it is archery season in a lot of states. Looks like a bad shot, a little too far back. Easy to have happen if the person is not a hardcore archer. Deer could have been walking and the shot was a little late. Happens a lot in archery season. Hate when it happens but sometime they get away. Deer are amazing tough and will push on after being shot, sometimes for a far distance. A poor shot leaves a poor blood trail so makes finding it much harder (and some people just don't really look every hard with is just plain wrong but.....)

/ Dead Deer #6  
Nothing better than a bloated maggot infested rotting carcass to stink up a hedgerow....:D

If you cannot get the local road department to remove it, cover it with lime and that will help decompose it and cut the stink.

/ Dead Deer #7  
Many hunters do not realize this but a hunting license is not just a license to shoot game...
It is the responsibility of the hunter to make every possible attempt to recover shot/injured game...When you sign your license you are agreeing that you have read and understand all the laws pertaining to harvesting game...Not all the laws are printed on the license but they do exist...

Not to say that some game does not get away it happens...but most sportsman make valid efforts...have no way of knowing the circumstances of this kill but it is a shame such a nice specimen was wasted...

The vulture populations always go up around archery season...Personally I think an archer should be have to prove they can regularly hit inside a paper plate at 40 yards +/- before they are issued a license...

/ Dead Deer #8  
I had a similar issue, but it was floating in my pond. There was no arrow, but there was a large hole near the belly. I'm not a hunter, but I understand that deer will run into water after they are hit.

I had to get the row boat to get at it and shove it towards the shoreline. That, of course, disturbed the internal bloating and released a lovely smell. From there I managed to drag it to shore and into the FEL. I dumped it just inside the woods, and by the next morning, it was drug back out into the field. I'm guessing coyotes. From that point, it was gone pretty quickly, except for a few bones.

/ Dead Deer #9  
Dont know if it is poacher as I believe it is archery season in a lot of states. Looks like a bad shot, a little too far back. Easy to have happen if the person is not a hardcore archer. Deer could have been walking and the shot was a little late. Happens a lot in archery season. Hate when it happens but sometime they get away. Deer are amazing tough and will push on after being shot, sometimes for a far distance. A poor shot leaves a poor blood trail so makes finding it much harder (and some people just don't really look every hard with is just plain wrong but.....)

^This. Sadly it happens. Just too far back. That deer could have traveled a good distance. Blood trail would have been poor.

/ Dead Deer #10  
A hunter cannot trespass to retrieve an animal.

Nice deer to go to waste.

I will never bow hunt. My hunt camp wants me to but I will not take the chance of a poor shot on an animal. I am a good rifle shot and have never lost a deer. But I do not take risky shots