Kubota Super UDT and filters.

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #1  

thoner7

Silver Member
Tractor
to-20 Ferguson and Kubota m5400 with Quickie loader
I'm going to change all the fluids on a used M5400 I just bought. I'm starting with the tranny/hydraulic fluid as it's currently low.

My manual specs Kubota Super UDT. Local dealer quoted me $118 for five gallons! And I need 10.5 gallons!!! Is there a comparable product people use Luke UTF or PermatranIII?? Online I can only findSuper UDT2, what's the difference??

Also quoted me $41 for a filter, of which I'd need two. My manual doesn't give a part number, but I'm hoping I can find one online for less?

Thanks for y'all help.

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #2  
I use Mobilfluid 424 in my L3800 and Kubota filters , The L47 TLB I use super udt2 and Kubota filters....:2cents:

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #3  
this has been debated a great deal.
In short, there are many fluids you can use. If you have a hydro transmission your machine may or may not benefit from super udt.
Same with filters. I always use kubota hydro filters and fluids. YMMV.

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #4  
I'm going to change all the fluids on a used M5400 I just bought. I'm starting with the tranny/hydraulic fluid as it's currently low.

My manual specs Kubota Super UDT. Local dealer quoted me $118 for five gallons! And I need 10.5 gallons!!! Is there a comparable product people use Luke UTF or PermatranIII?? Online I can only findSuper UDT2, what's the difference??

Also quoted me $41 for a filter, of which I'd need two. My manual doesn't give a part number, but I'm hoping I can find one online for less?

Thanks for y'all help.

I use SUDT2 and Kubota filters in all 5 of my Kubotas but not everyone does. SUDT2 is $99.99/5 gal at my dealer.

You will be OK with any good quality hydraulic oil that meets Kubota SUDT specifications (not UTF or "tractor fluid") but such oils will not be much less expensive than SUDT2.

Hydraulic oil filters are much more expensive than engine oil filters. You can cross over your filter to WIX, etc., but I doubt if such filter will be much less expensive.

SDT

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #5  

Thanks for y'all help.

Be glad its only that much; my M takes close to 19 and a full fluids and filter change is over $500:eek:

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #6  
this has been debated a great deal.
In short, there are many fluids you can use. If you have a hydro transmission your machine may or may not benefit from super udt.
Same with filters. I always use kubota hydro filters and fluids. YMMV.
Ls & MXes are the biggest Kubotas with a HST, so not relevant to discussion about a M. I hear there is similar rational & benefits to running SUDT2 in GST transmissions.

Personally I stick with SUDT2 & OEM in my Ls. Aftermarket filters may be cheaper, but some are noticably lesser quality. I'm not going to risk it to save $20-40 a year on a $45k machine on cheap filters that might have substandard filtration or actually come apart.

Similar rational for SUDT2. It supposedly whines less, although I've never tried any non-Kubota fluid. As much as I paid for a cab over an open station I'll pay to keep it quiet. SUDT2 has better in cold performance over SUDT, so it's a no brainer here in Colorado. I'd likely stick with at least SUDT in warmer climates. I'd likely use more generic quality fluid if I had a non-HST or GST power shuttle type machine.

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #7  
There are quite a number of M59 owners who use SUDT2 because these are heavy semi-commercial TLB tractors and they put a lot of demand on their HST transmission and multiple hydraulic pumps. Some owners report that the SUDT2 runs quieter in the HST.

After a bad experience with SUDT2 some years ago, my Kubota dealer recommended that I switch to New Holland MultiG134 - which is what he put into all of the Kubotas that he serviced during warranty work. I've stuck with MultiG134 in our M59 ever since draining out that brand new bad batch of SUDT2 , and now at nearly 1000 hours have no problems.

Recently I've seen that New Holland has changed their specs on the MultiG 134 again, so I may give SUDT2 a try next time if I can convince myself that Kubota is now paying attention to the quality control over whoever is compounding the Kubota line of specialty oils. The price isn't much different between Kubota and New Holland premium trans/hydraulic oils.

Even though your M5400 has a traditional tranny, it still has wet brakes. So you are probably best to stay with one of these modern low viscosity, chatter resistant premium trans/hydraulic fluids. You want a fluid that names the specs and meets the specs, instead of a lesser type universal type that is "recommended for" certain models but doesn't name modern specs.

On filters, every Kubota M series HST owner I've heard from uses Kubota HST filters. I wouldn't want to use any other make myself. What's to gain, other than a few bucks?

rScotty

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #8  
Be glad its only that much; my M takes close to 19 and a full fluids and filter change is over $500:eek:

Ya have to pay to play... I have 2, not 1, so I'm 2 times what you are. I plan on doing one in the spring and the other in the fall. Spaces out the financial hurt.

I always use Kubota filters, especially oil and hydraulic filters and I use Chevron Synthetic THF and its even more expensive in 5's than the SUDT but in a 55 gallon drum, a bit less.

Don't forget the 10 quarts of oil (with filter) either. The purchase price was expensive so in reality the cost of the lube changeout isn't much.

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #9  
Kubota only makes UDT and Super UDT2.

Super UDT is no longer being produced, but old stock may still exist. Why buy old stock though?

The price using Messick's in 5 gallon pails is approximately $20:
UDT - $84.22
Super UDT2 - $103.12
(Not suggesting you buy from them given shipping costs, just using them for price comparison)

I use Super UDT2 in the B3030, L3130 and L4740 mostly for those cold winter months.

With respect to less whine or audible noise in general when using UDT or Super UDT2... Not certain it's due to the type of fluid, but perhaps a result of using new filters with lower differential pressure (no entrapped dirt) and new fluid that is the real difference.

Yes there is some sticker shock when changing all the fluids at once on the larger machines.

Just remember to remove all drain plugs during the process.

/ Kubota Super UDT and filters. #10  
In my case, the slight extra cost for UDT2 and Kubota filters (you should be able to buy the filter kits online and save money there) is a drop in the bucket. But since I only put maybe 20 hours a year on my L3400, and don't plan on changing the hydraulic oil every year or two, I figure using the "best" is a simple choice. Engine oil is another matter, but that's only $20 or so, and the Kubota engine filter is about $12, so no big deal. Plus, working on your tractor is a good way to discover things that might need attention: I found my alternator belt was slightly stretched, no surprise since it's about 13 years old, and I tightened it. I have a digital voltmeter to monitor my electrics, so any problems there are quickly noticed. I think keeping the tractor in the barn helps greatly in preserving things, especially tires.

61fGN6UPt+L._SL1200_[1].jpg