First tractor - wet ground... ?

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #41  
Do you have HST or gear?

HST. If I'm not mistaken on the gear when you push in the clutch change gear or just stop it stops the PTO. My old B7500 HST did that when switching between low and high range which was about the only thing I didn't like about it. L2501 HST you don't need to clutch to change ranges so not a problem.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #42  
Pushing the clutch in an stopping the PTO has to do with if you have a live PTO. A lot of the older tractors used a two stage clutch. Halfway down stopped the trans. All the way stopped the PTO. A lot of the new ones, you just push a switch on the dash. As far as HST vs Gear vs Shutter, just a matter of choice by the operator, as to what it is being used for most of the time. I stay like my shutter, but grew up on gear tractor. And more of my work is mower, box blade, pasture work. HST might be nice for moving hay, but most of my hay loading is once a year. 30% loader work, 70% pulling.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #43  
HST. If I'm not mistaken on the gear when you push in the clutch change gear or just stop it stops the PTO. My old B7500 HST did that when switching between low and high range which was about the only thing I didn't like about it. L2501 HST you don't need to clutch to change ranges so not a problem.

Live PTO is a huge thing for me. Also like that mine has a 2speed PTO (540 and 540E, also has a PTO neutral, which is great for hooking up an implement)

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #44  
Bigger is not always better an L2501 will lift less and weighs less than Mx 4800 obviously with wet ground putting more weight out especially on FEL means more ground compaction ruts and sinking etc.Your situation is a little complex with wet ground most of the time.I feel no matter what size tractor you go with you need to know it痴 limitations take your time and work can get done.You may want to hire or if you got experience rent a machine to get started and maybe get yourself some paths set up to run a tractor on I know loggers will lay small trees down to run on in wet ground.There are mats used with excavators in wet ares to keep them from sinking may be an option to get you started to eventually get your tractor in there ?? Good luck on tractor and ground

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #45  
The wheels and tires on a 3,700 pound MX are much larger than the wheels and tires on a 2,700 pound L2501. I doubt if ground loading with an MX exceeds the ground loading with an L2501. If optional bulbous radial tires tires are ordered for the MX ground loading may be less with an MX.

Based on FEL lift capacity the L2501 will require twice as many trips into the wet area; each trip mushing the damp ground further.

If logs are towed out, each tractor should be able to pull about 75% of operating weight.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #46  
Assuming is not factual your stating a full size back could roll in there it has bigger tires than an Mx and weighs more !!! When you load FEL machines ground compaction wants to go down with gravity this is a fact !!!

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #47  
You are a rare breed sir stating that bigger is not always better !!! I was told on this topic that Mx series probably has less ground compaction than L2501 because it has bigger tires 🤔🤔🤔 well **** a full size back hoe must never get stuck 😜 I spent years on full size back hoes and front end loaders they all go down especially with FEL loaded up !!! I agree with you sir some just think bigger is better it has its place but mud maybe not ???

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #48  
Assuming is not factual your stating a full size back could roll in there it has bigger tires than an Mx and weighs more !!! When you load FEL machines ground compaction wants to go down with gravity this is a fact !!!

You are a rare breed sir stating that bigger is not always better !!! I was told on this topic that Mx series probably has less ground compaction than L2501 because it has bigger tires ������ well **** a full size back hoe must never get stuck �� I spent years on full size back hoes and front end loaders they all go down especially with FEL loaded up !!! I agree with you sir some just think bigger is better it has its place but mud maybe not ???

Makes sense to me. Been there. We have a creek that floods at times. I can get on that ground just as soon after the event with my L4240 as I could with the B7500. Both wear R4's and both of them could get on the ground sooner than my Ford 1210 with R1's.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #49  
Since not everyone realizes this, I'll just point out: Ground pressure is basically exactly equal to the air pressure you put in your tires. So if you have a little tractor with 15 psi in the tires, or a big ***** tractor with 15 psi in the tires.... they both put 15 psi onto the ground. Contact patch area of the tires expands to carry the weight of the machine proportional to inflation pressure. Since most manufacturers supply tires sized adequately to carry their machines, the mud-bogging potential of a tractor doesn't really depend on it's size.

Caveats include: Do bigger tractors require more tire pressure for safe performance (fronts, especially)? And obviously the tire type and flexibility play a big role - R1s with rigid bars concentrate the load.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #50  
Since not everyone realizes this, I'll just point out: Ground pressure is basically exactly equal to the air pressure you put in your tires. So if you have a little tractor with 15 psi in the tires, or a big ***** tractor with 15 psi in the tires.... they both put 15 psi onto the ground. Contact patch area of the tires expands to carry the weight of the machine proportional to inflation pressure. Since most manufacturers supply tires sized adequately to carry their machines, the mud-bogging potential of a tractor doesn't really depend on it's size.

Caveats include: Do bigger tractors require more tire pressure for safe performance (fronts, especially)? And obviously the tire type and flexibility play a big role - R1s with rigid bars concentrate the load.

I'll have to disagree with you on this, at first quick glance it almost seems reasonable.
I have two tractors with 18.4-30 bias ply tires,
one has no added iron for weight and is on a light tractor (IH574), it will traverse wet ground with very little impact.
Also when I increase the rear axle loading considerably (a ton plus the weight of the forklift) it will almost lift the front tires the contact patch does not change that much.
The other tractor is considerable heavier, plus it has 1200# of iron on the wheels.
They are both on R1 tires of the same size and air pressure.
The ground loading rutting and compaction are completely different.