My Front Gate Project

/ My Front Gate Project #21  
I've never been a contractor, and have had four different mixers in my lifetime.
Still do have a small old one that works just fine, but I don't use it anymore.
Won't sell it though.......just in case I should need it sometime.
At a very few weeks short of 80, I have WAY too much stuff that fits into the "just in case I should need it sometime" category.

I hope your retirement finances don’t cut so close to needing to sell a cement mixer. And if you were to need it your earnings would quickly be ate up in rental. So I agree with keeping it.

/ My Front Gate Project #22  
I hope your retirement finances don稚 cut so close to needing to sell a cement mixer. And if you were to need it your earnings would quickly be ate up in rental. So I agree with keeping it.

Storage space is the only issue.
I have three buildings.
A Morton 36' x 48', a stick built 40' x 50', and a 2 car garage with small workshop,...... all are full of chit.

/ My Front Gate Project #23  
I've never been a contractor, and have had four different mixers in my lifetime.
Still do have a small old one that works just fine, but I don't use it anymore.
Won't sell it though.......just in case I should need it sometime.
At a very few weeks short of 80, I have WAY too much stuff that fits into the "just in case I should need it sometime" category.

LOL,

I have had the "just in case" disease for a long time and I am 70. But started selling off stuff in the last few years. I ran out of room for "stuff" and putting up another building to store "junk" would have been stupid. If I need something, I can rent it. Or buy the tool and sell it on Craig's List for 50-60% of what it cost. Cement mixer would be one of those things not worth storing in my situation.

/ My Front Gate Project
120712272_10224089909338198_4164187845124212074_o.jpg

Blocks are stacked.

/ My Front Gate Project
Wife was out of town for a dog show, so I tiled our bedroom floor. While waiting for the tile and then the grout to dry, I got a few things done on the front gate. The big gate is 14 feet and the small gate is 4 feet. I wanted it to be easy to walk through to get the mail. Eventually I'll put gravel down for the walk through gate and tie it into the driveway. Once the gates where installed, I set my post for the gate chains. I also set my posts for the 3 rail wood fence that will go on either side of the driveway. And since it was so nice out, I dug the trench and buried my electrical lines on both sides of the driveway.

121694937_10224209017355824_1984991874641997537_o.jpg

/ My Front Gate Project #26  
Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

/ My Front Gate Project #27  
Wife was out of town for a dog show, so I tiled our bedroom floor. While waiting for the tile and then the grout to dry, I got a few things done on the front gate. The big gate is 14 feet and the small gate is 4 feet. I wanted it to be easy to walk through to get the mail. Eventually I'll put gravel down for the walk through gate and tie it into the driveway. Once the gates where installed, I set my post for the gate chains. I also set my posts for the 3 rail wood fence that will go on either side of the driveway. And since it was so nice out, I dug the trench and buried my electrical lines on both sides of the driveway.

View attachment 673610

we dont have parks that look that good. nice job

/ My Front Gate Project #28  
I also kept my mixer 'just in case'.
(I never sell a tool)
Couple years ago I lent it to a neighbor who never returned it.
When queered he said come and get it.
When I did have a look at it I saw why, it was smashed like if somebody dropped it from 50 ft , that or it fell off of a truck.
Now on 'forever black list',

/ My Front Gate Project #29  
I see that you've went with two separate gates; that eliminates the problems that I was envisioning with a double gate system.
I built an offset double gate frame for my neighbor to replace the wood gates that were coming apart. These are far lighter and stronger, a 2x4 top and bottom rail allows the existing dog ear fence boards to be reused. A drop rod holds the left leaf stationary in a socket concreted in, and the right leaf is just wide enough for a wheelie bin or pressure washer to get through. Works flawlessly.
IMG_20200724_174113.jpg

/ My Front Gate Project
To dress up my gate a little, I decided to make a heart out of cedar for our farm logo.

I drew it out on a piece of half inch MDF, then cut that out for a template.

Then I glued some scrap pieces of cedar 2x6 together

122141039_10224249050676632_8012743829207085772_o.jpg

Then I cut out some rusted metal that I thought would give me some nice contrast for the letters. It took 3 brand new blades to cut it out. I screwed the metal into the back of the Cedar Heart.

122104696_10224248929273597_2252255456413607208_o.jpg

I drilled 4 holes into the gate and used self tapping screws to attach it to the gate. Then I coated it with Sherwin Williams oil based clear finish.

122533613_10224248765349499_2933448046898491482_o.jpg