My Front Gate Project

/ My Front Gate Project #31  
Being from Texas, you should have a South Fork Entrance Eddie!!!!

/ My Front Gate Project
We bought a blue eyed baby goat yesterday, so I didn't get anything done on the gate project. We have 9 girls and we've been looking for just the right male to breed to them. We found him 2 hours away, near Greenville TX.

IMG_6678.JPG

Today I picked up some 16 foot treated 2x6's and what I needed to finish off my electrical. That all went smoothly. Then I was able to remove the old gates and their posts. That really made it look more open and cleaner.

I'm going to let the treated wood dry out for a few months, then I'll stain it as dark as I can get it, hoping for black.

Next up is building the caps for the columns so I can install lights on top of them.

I'm also planning on ordering the gate opener tomorrow. I have it all priced out, but I want to ask a few questions before placing the order.

122852521_10224265741893902_4264775440054594411_o.jpg

/ My Front Gate Project #33  
Wow! Looks fantastic

/ My Front Gate Project #35  
This is coming together nicely.

/ My Front Gate Project #36  
We bought a blue eyed baby goat yesterday, so I didn't get anything done on the gate project. We have 9 girls and we've been looking for just the right male to breed to them. We found him 2 hours away, near Greenville TX.

View attachment 674329

Today I picked up some 16 foot treated 2x6's and what I needed to finish off my electrical. That all went smoothly. Then I was able to remove the old gates and their posts. That really made it look more open and cleaner.

I'm going to let the treated wood dry out for a few months, then I'll stain it as dark as I can get it, hoping for black.

Next up is building the caps for the columns so I can install lights on top of them.

I'm also planning on ordering the gate opener tomorrow. I have it all priced out, but I want to ask a few questions before placing the order.

View attachment 674330

Now thats a great entrance!

/ My Front Gate Project #37  
Eddie,
You think Oscar was hard to keep in!:laughing: You are gonna have fun trying to keep them goats in. ;)
As always......................Awesome work.
hugs, Brandi

/ My Front Gate Project #38  
Eddie,
You think Oscar was hard to keep in!:laughing: You are gonna have fun trying to keep them goats in. ;)
As always......................Awesome work.
hugs, Brandi

Yeah. Some goats are ok but if you get a goat with character, you are up for some exciting times.

/ My Front Gate Project
It's been a few weeks since I installed the opener. The instructions hurt my brain. I bought the basic unit, and then added featurs to it like the opener on the inside that you drive past and it opens the gate when you are leaving, and the button to push to open the gate from the outside, along with the remote controls to open the gate from our vehicles. The little screws that you tighten down for each wire are tricky. If you don't get it just right, the don't work. That was very frustrating to me. A week after having it all working, it stopped working and I found out that one of my power lines wasn't done right and it had worked itself out. My fault, but I really thought I had checked each wire real good before moving on to the next.

To attach the opener to the gate, they provided a stainless steel bracket and bolts. The bolts where fine thread. I used my impact driver to get them tight, which bent to bottom tube of the gate. I thought that was pretty tight, but it came loose that first week of using it. The threads where all stripped from me over tightening them, and I replaced them with some Grade 5 bolts and lock nuts. I also noticed that the gate is bending there, so I'm going to add a length of angle iron to the pipe to strengthen it.

Overall, we are very pleased with how it works.

To finish off the columns, I built two caps the same way I did the other columns a dozen years ago, give or take. I let the concrete cure in the form for a week, then did the other one and let it cure for a week. I used a sack and a half for each cap, which put them at 120 pounds, or so. I used my hay spears and a pallet to carry them to the columns and get them up high enough to slide them onto the columns. I have a bunch of almost empty sacks of Thinset mortar from tile jobs that i do, so I used that to anchor the caps on top of the columns.

I have two more LED post lights on order from Home Depot that I will install as soon as they get here.

126787073_10224514282907272_633722824207899566_o.jpg

/ My Front Gate Project #40  
Eddie, I put my front gate up and put the outside panel behind the posted sign on the gate post. No one can see it. Only friends with codes. And they have to get out of the auto. I purchased but did not install the auto opener on the inside. I store hay to one side of the gate and I have to go by there to get the hay. My tractor would be opening the gate too many times.
I have another gate to my pasture. It is great. I don't have to get off the tractor to put out hay. It has a lock on it, that keeps the animals from pushing it open, It unlocks with the auto gate. I plan on putting up another one later for a gate to the lake.
Also with the name Ed, I have horses and kids call me Mr. Ed.