Stihl KM 131R kombi review

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review
FYI, one of the best additions to my Kombi 130 (older unit) pole saw head was a carbide chain. It will stand far more touches to ground and still cut. Not as fast as sharp chisel, but not bad.

What does it cost to have it sharpened??

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #22  
What does it cost to have it sharpened??
Not sure - have not had to sharpen it yet. Limbed 2 medium oaks that were down, a little other trimming here and there and it still cuts decent. A few times in the dirt.

Some years ago I asked the shop who sharpens ours about carbide chain cost that was quite a bit more. A very expensive chain and its resharpening. We have a covey of chains that are sharp and others that are dull and awaiting there time at the shop grinder. Plus we touch them up in the field with files as the day goes. I think we'll stay with tool steel chains.

Here is some comparison photos of Echo and Stihl attachment systems. The Echo uses the spring lock pin where as Sthil does not. They do use a plastic key to keep it from being spun. What you can't see is Echo clamp is designed so you can't tightened the clamp down to the attachments tube, snug yes, but really clamp tight, no. But on the Stihl, you can tighten it and keep your tool from wiggling around.

The Echo locking pin is not glove friendly and is difficult to find the locking hole in the attachment's shaft. Plus the drive shaft/coupler end does not like to slide into each another. The large T nut will unscrew while in transport so they need to it snug or or you'll loose it! (been there, done that!) As stated above, the power head side clamp will not hold the attachment shaft tight.

Stihl doesn't use a locking pin but does have the key which is quite easy to locate and slide in. Its T nut will not unscrew since the thread has a stop built into it. The attachment clamps down tight and make the attachment rigid tool.

Stihl's attachment system is faaaaar better of a design than Echo's, and much easier to use.

Attachments

• P1070357.jpg
    P1070357.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 118
  • P1070356.jpg
    P1070356.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 119
  • P1070353.jpg
    P1070353.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P1070354.jpg
    P1070354.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #25  
^^^^
Good to know. That wiggling around would drive me nuts. I already have the Stihl pole attachment anyways, someday I'll pick up a powerhead to go with it.

I'll next do a report on its controls. You know, its throttle choke and weight balance etc, etc.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #28  
My Kombi attachments are

Line trimmer
Star blade trimmer
Pole saw
Grass scythe.

I just about never use the scythe.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #29  
I'll next do a report on its controls. You know, its throttle choke and weight balance etc, etc.

Keep reviewing. I plan to buy a new pole saw in the next few months. I am still contemplating the Stihl Kombi vs the extendable version.

This is the controls setup review on the Stihl KM 131R kombi

I was originally worried this more heavy power head by Sthil, would have negative influence while working with it all day long and reaching those high limbs we often do. Funny that I found while holding it upright, the heavier base, seemed to make that job easier to do having that weight, right in your hands. Go figure!

The throttle and safety lever on its stop side is easy to use and largely the same as modern Echo's have. What is different is the run/off switches they have. Echo uses the slider on/off where as Sthil has a push button "off" switch. You push it and the engine shuts down. This has really been nice! You just pick the unit up and pull the starter, no worry! Nothing to think about and the button must be recessed to be actuated, so no bumps off.

The Sthil has its choke same as is on there chain saws. In the full choke setting, the engine revves up but idles down as soon as you hit the throttle. I like this feature better than Echo's simple choke full or 1/2 option. I looks for but could not locate a warm air intake for the Sthil but Echo doe snot have that feature either.

Over all the Sthil knobs and controls, are superior when compared to Echo's.

Last edited: