Stihl KM 131R kombi review

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review
Keep reviewing. I plan to buy a new pole saw in the next few months. I am still contemplating the Stihl Kombi vs the extendable version.

Buck, if you can loan and test a telescoping version saw, you should do that. Those are the most poplar pole saws sold, yet most sit in a shed after the users try to use them for an hour. They are just to heavy to hold up.

My Kombi attachments are
Line trimmer
Star blade trimmer
Pole saw
Grass scythe.
I just about never use the scythe.

Sthil was suppose to come out with line trimmer head that will hold .190 string this summer, but covid seems to have made a mess of that idea. Or was it .180 string head?? I can't recall which... Nonetheless, that large string knocks the #@!!$*^$@ out of tree shoots. :D

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #33  
Sthil was suppose to come out with line trimmer head that will hold .190 string this summer, but covid seems to have made a mess of that idea. Or was it .180 string head?? I can't recall which... Nonetheless, that large string knocks the #@!!$*^$@ out of tree shoots. :D

I just changed over to this newer trimmer head that is much easier to load. It has .095 on it now but will take .105.

So far very pleased.

5F24012C-1593-4FF4-B82A-60A6200A3F15.jpeg

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #34  
Buck, if you can loan and test a telescoping version saw, you should do that. Those are the most poplar pole saws sold, yet most sit in a shed after the users try to use them for an hour. They are just to heavy to hold up.

Probably 80% or more of the time I don’t extend my pole saw extension. It’s a little heavier, yes. But, the extension is easy to do when needed.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #35  
I do use the star blade for tree saplings and stump regrowth

I do use the star blade for tree saplings and stump regrowth

We used various steel blade styles but kinda gave up on them. We have as many rocks here, as tree shoots. That means everywhere! The steel blades do not appreciate the rocks and there cutting radius is quite small, compared to string heads. Even if the string doesn't completely cut them off, there lives where ruined with the beating and they are are gone in a couple of years. String doesn't care if its ran against the ground or you break it off and its easy to replace and train newbies to use.

I just changed over to this newer trimmer head that is much easier to load. It has .095 on it now but will take .105.

So far very pleased. View attachment 676682

You do understand that we are using string nearly twice this size?? We've used .155 for years with great success but now we are trying to swtich up to .180. Smaller just doesn't cut it.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #38  
Probably 80% or more of the time I don稚 extend my pole saw extension. It痴 a little heavier, yes. But, the extension is easy to do when needed.

"Different extensions for different intentions." :D I've never put mine down because it is too heavy. But I don't have an all day trail job to do either.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #39  
We used various steel blade styles but kinda gave up on them. We have as many rocks here, as tree shoots. That means everywhere! The steel blades do not appreciate the rocks and there cutting radius is quite small, compared to string heads. Even if the string doesn't completely cut them off, there lives where ruined with the beating and they are are gone in a couple of years. String doesn't care if its ran against the ground or you break it off and its easy to replace and train newbies to use.
^^^ true that. I selectively use the metal star blade and string. We have a lot of big leaf maples out here that sprout up in droves when you cut a stump. I brutally use the star blade on them to get as much cambian (sp?) exposure as I can and then treat them.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #40  
I have the KM 131R power head, a straight shaft string trimmer with push button head, the pole saw and 3' extension and the power scythe.

I hate the oil fill cap on the saw head, the power scythe doesn't slice through the grass quickly or easily (had I known this I would have never bought it), the power head is top heavy and flips upside down when carrying the pole saw or string trimmer, and I just can't get over the rev limiter on the engine...not a big fan of the 4-mix engine. The pole saw doesn't cut smoothly with a brand new chain. It acts like it's bouncing over the depth gauges or maybe they are unevenly ground.

Other than that, I love the pole saw and the string trimmer is a beast.