Should I get a skid steer or a tractor

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #31  
And my compact telehandler will out dig a CTL.
This is a 1 cubic yard bucket in clay:

P3200023.JPG

P3200002c.JPG

P3200009.JPG

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #32  
I think the OP should be picking which attachments will be needed as those may dictate what equipment to use them on. Then, decide if the same attachments/equipment will be used for years to come. Being realistic about needs vs wants may make more sense to rent or hire it done. When I needed to clear 1800 trees and clean it up, I hired it done so it was finished in less than a week. Many variables here.

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #33  
All this talk of Harleys and Vespa, but no mention of comparing their loader capacity.

Bruce
idk I've seen some really heavy loads on harleys, and vespas seem to be enjoyed by the more ... ah shall we say "nimble" crowd

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #34  
I own a 743 and it is great! Also have a grapple, pallet forks and bucket that helps move trees and dig up or move whats needed...Have a Deere 630 with AG attachments thats needed to work soils--all depends on your needs. I needed both!

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #36  
   / Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #37  
Those are IMPRESSIVE Bobcat telehandler pictures. But if your telling me you got that bucket load in one efficient movement, then I gotta say you have some kind of ground, I have never seen before.

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #38  
You could put a yard bucket on the biggest CTLs if you wanted to. I’ve never been on a mini telehandler but I’ve been in mini loaders as in 5 tons or so and their dirt moving performance isn’t even close to a CTL.
I put that same bucket on a bobcat T300 in the same place that I used the V417 just days before and the CTL struggled to fill the bucket with the clay subsoil. You are not considering the extra force available to fill the bucket by extending the boom on the compact telehandler.

Those are IMPRESSIVE Bobcat telehandler pictures. But if your telling me you got that bucket load in one efficient movement, then I gotta say you have some kind of ground, I have never seen before.
It is hard red clay and some sandrock.
The teeth are very sharp and with 14,000 pounds of push, the bucket gets filled:

P3180020c.jpg

P3200020.JPG

Last edited:
   / Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #39  
I put that same bucket on a bobcat T300 in the same place that I used the V417 just days before and the CTL struggled to fill the bucket with the clay subsoil. You are not considering the extra force available to fill the bucket by extending the boom on the compact telehandler.

It is hard red clay and some sandrock.
The teeth are very sharp and with 14,000 pounds of push, the bucket gets filled:

View attachment 692354
View attachment 692356

A 300 is a ton lighter than other CTLs.

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #40  
So, do you drive into the material, apply brakes and extend the boom? Does that net more breakout force than the wheels can provide? I mean, inability to get a bucket is usually about loss of traction, not lack of HP.