What Oil does your Dealer/Shop use on Your Tractor?

/ What Oil does your Dealer/Shop use on Your Tractor? #1  

TN8Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 CAB HST
My local tractor dealer/shop did my initial 50 hour service and now it time for my next oil change but I'm going to do it. So I called my local shop to order my oil filter and I decided to check their prices on engine oil and their recommendation, I was planning to use Rotella T6. They told me they always use Legacy brand which means that's what is currently in my tractor.

This got me thinking ... are popular name brands like Rotella really that much better quality/performance over what the dealer uses?

It's not a question about saving a few bucks .... it's more about buying popular name brands just because they are popular.

Does your dealer/shop normally use popular name brands on lubricants?

/ What Oil does your Dealer/Shop use on Your Tractor? #2  
Not a clue. Always change my own. Changing oil has to be one of the easiest tasks to do.

/ What Oil does your Dealer/Shop use on Your Tractor? #3  
Well my shop uses AMSOIL. My shop is beside the house and stores my HD, Tractor and Truck...LOL
Check out the link and then order your preference. The Heavy Duty oils are a great price and the Signature Series is the premium line for a bit more. Arrives at your doorstep in a few days. Easy peasy, it's what I do. Dutchy

/ What Oil does your Dealer/Shop use on Your Tractor? #4  
Yikes, twice as much as Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic.

/ What Oil does your Dealer/Shop use on Your Tractor? #7  
I don’t know what they use . I use the house brand oil from Tractor supply . It meets all the oil standards as the rest of the oils .

/ What Oil does your Dealer/Shop use on Your Tractor?
I don’t know what they use . I use the house brand oil from Tractor supply . It meets all the oil standards as the rest of the oils .
Most engine oils sold today meet the oil standards listed in our tractors requirements. Buying and using engine oils is more a personal preference based on advertisements and hearsay rather than real technical data.

Last edited:
   / What Oil does your Dealer/Shop use on Your Tractor? #9  
I used to service my own trucks, but once got my dump truck serviced at dealer. I specifically asked them what kind of oil they used. They told me Shell Rotella, so I said perfect, that is what I want.
I have sent all kinds of different brand samples to Caterpillar's SOS lab and Rotella always showed very good results so I've stuck with them.

So right after that I get my SOS sample report back from Cat and suddenly all my values dropped. Found out dealer was not using Rotella, but was using the lower value Shell Rimula. And charging me for Rotella.

Busted them, and never went back.

/ What Oil does your Dealer/Shop use on Your Tractor?
I used to service my own trucks, but once got my dump truck serviced at dealer. I specifically asked them what kind of oil they used. They told me Shell Rotella, so I said perfect, that is what I want.
I have sent all kinds of different brand samples to Caterpillar's SOS lab and Rotella always showed very good results so I've stuck with them.

So right after that I get my SOS sample report back from Cat and suddenly all my values dropped. Found out dealer was not using Rotella, but was using the lower value Shell Rimula. And charging me for Rotella.

Busted them, and never went back.
What tests are performed and which do you feel is most critical?

Which rotella formula do you normally use, T5 or T6.