Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #491  
I own timber and if I cut it today I will not make any more than a year ago. I know people who cut timber and they are not making much more than a year ago. I talked to a building supply retailer and he said his percentage mark up is the same. Unless I am missing something that leaves the mills.

Retailers who keep the same % markup are making lots more money.

Assume 50% markup.

Retailer buys lumber for $100 sells for $150. Makes $50.

Retailer buys lumber for $200 sells for $300. Makes $100.

Retailers always keep their percent markup the same and make much more money. But claim they don’t since their % markup is the same.

MoKelly

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #492  
I read someplace that its because of all the forest fires and people have to stay at home so they purchase lumber for their home projects

willy

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #493  
Osb at lowes today was 42 dollars a sheet. I have seen some new houses here being covered in blackboard instead.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #494  
The government has pumped 6 trillion dollars into the economy since 2020 started. They want 2.2 more as we speak.

There is so much money out in circulation, these prices are not going to be coming down for a while. Money has lost 25% of it's value since 2020 started and prices on most thing has increase about as much. Simple economics.

Prices will come down a little, maybe 5-10%, but there is just too much money out there for the prices to ever come back down to pre covid prices.
The Money Trees are really growing this year in Washington. I was told that money doesn't grow on trees, but it obviously does in Washington.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
The Money Trees are really growing this year in Washington. I was told that money doesn't grow on trees, but it obviously does in Washington.
The money in trees made Washington. Seattle thrived on it.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #497  
That rumor has been going on since 2010. Can anyone find any evidence that it's true? Yes, they buy logs, turn them into products, and sell them back to us. I can't, however, find any credible information relating to floating plywood factories located just outside of U.S. territorial waters. Any credible proof would be welcomed.
True or not, I'm going to continue to spread any and all negative rumors about our cousins from the east.

Just read about the China Road and Belt project, there work in the south china sea and it goes on and on.

Call me prejudiced if you want, you are wrong. My contempt is based on 40 years of paying attention, that's not prejudice.

Instead of $2 trillion for US infrastructure I say we just give it to the chinese and ask them to rebuild the great wall!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #498  
Some things can be put on hold while others can't. If you can't wait or waiting is going to cost you even more then you suck it up and buy what you need. For example I need to build a table for a CNC router coming in a few months. I could use the odds and ends I have already but if I did it wouldn't be built the way it needs to be. It would work but chances are I would end up rebuilding it down the road. Spending thousands on a tool and then not spending a couple hundred because prices are double what they may be in a year doesn't make sense.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #499  
I drove thru northern California last week past several lumber mills. They had huge log decks waiting to be utilized and plywood and lumber units that went on forever. you would never know there was a shortage from what I observed. Oh, and regular grade gas is now $3.85 for regular unleaded. Not calling the industries crooks or greedy here, just telling ya'll what I observed!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #500  
I just saw an NPR spot that said industry experts seem to think the building material shortage should be ending within the next couple months. Due to decreased demand and mills back up to almost full capacity.
Here is the link, Lumber Prices Are Staying Sky High — Even If The Pandemic Ends Soon
Although I am at the tail end of my shop build I hope the astronomical prices subside a bit, still have to finishing siding and insulation.