Had checkbook in hand but No sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Had checkbook in hand but No sale #21  
18 for a new tractor... Must be small. I just bought another brand and 18 was the down payment. :p
H,mm now thats strange $18,000 grand for down payment for a new tractor your little addy states no payment books everything paid for.Must be you tell BIG FIBS ??

/ Had checkbook in hand but No sale #22  
I've looked it up and no, it doesn't. I'm not in the mood to look up the SCOTUS case but they sided with the Corporations

So you’re claiming this is incorrect. I guess the Federal Trade Commission must have missed that SCOTUS ruling.

If your claim is based on the 2007 Opinion in LEEGIN CREATIVE LEATHER PRODUCTS, INC., PETITIONER v. PSKS, INC., DBA KAYíS KLOSET, that ruling did not negate the Sherman Antitrust Act. That opinion would permit manufacturers and distributors to set minimum pricing for there brand.

It is still illegal for a group of manufacturers or retailers (or both) to band together and fix prices. That would be a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act, which prohibits precisely that kind of anticompetitive behavior.

/ Had checkbook in hand but No sale #23  

Credit for Sales or Use Tax Paid in Another State​

If you have already paid sales or use tax to another state on a purchase, those taxes already paid may be credited against the use tax you owe to Tennessee. If you purchase goods in a state with a lower sales tax rate and pay the other state’s sales tax, you would only owe use tax on the difference between Tennessee’s rate and the other state’s rate. If you purchase goods in a state with a higher sales tax rate and pay the other state’s sales tax, you would not owe any use tax in Tennessee on those goods.

Does anyone really ever pay use taxes on tractors that don’t have titles or licensed?

Anyone?

MoKelly

/ Had checkbook in hand but No sale #24  
Does anyone really ever pay use taxes on tractors that don’t have titles or licensed?

Anyone?

MoKelly

I did. The salesman in Wyoming said I would actually save a few dollars if I paid the South Dakota use tax. I really don't know if I did or not.

Called the South Dakota tax commission to get the amount owed and the guy I talked to was very surprised I called them. However he did thank me.

/ Had checkbook in hand but No sale #25  

Anyone?

MoKelly

I did after couple of years!

I bought a used tractor from a JD dealer in non-sales tax state back in 1997 and somehow my home state found out about it couple of years later and sent me a friendly reminder letter about our state use tax that may be due on purchase from this particular out of state dealer!

No idea how they found out, but they obviously did.
Pure speculation form my part, but perhaps the same owner company was wanting to open up a dealership somewhere in our state and were forced to open up their books?

I went to our state use tax office, paid up and that was the end of it no questions asked.

Last edited:
   / Had checkbook in hand but No sale #26  

Credit for Sales or Use Tax Paid in Another State​

If you have already paid sales or use tax to another state on a purchase, those taxes already paid may be credited against the use tax you owe to Tennessee. If you purchase goods in a state with a lower sales tax rate and pay the other state’s sales tax, you would only owe use tax on the difference between Tennessee’s rate and the other state’s rate. If you purchase goods in a state with a higher sales tax rate and pay the other state’s sales tax, you would not owe any use tax in Tennessee on those goods.

They gotta find it first. I don't think tractors are even titled, are they?

/ Had checkbook in hand but No sale #27  
So you’re claiming this is incorrect. I guess the Federal Trade Commission must have missed that SCOTUS ruling.

If your claim is based on the 2007 Opinion in LEEGIN CREATIVE LEATHER PRODUCTS, INC., PETITIONER v. PSKS, INC., DBA KAYíS KLOSET, that ruling did not negate the Sherman Antitrust Act. That opinion would permit manufacturers and distributors to set minimum pricing for there brand.

It is still illegal for a group of manufacturers or retailers (or both) to band together and fix prices. That would be a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act, which prohibits precisely that kind of anticompetitive behavior.

You had to make me go and look it up, didn't you??

In a sharply divided 5-4 decision, the U.S. Supreme Court has overruled its own 1911 decision in the Dr. Miles case and held that a manufacturer does not necessarily violate the antitrust laws by establishing a minimum resale price for its products and enforcing the policy by terminating a wholesaler-distributor or other reseller who sells below the minimum price. (Leegin Creative Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc. d/b/a Kay’s Kloset…Kay’s Shoes, Docket No. 06-480)

The Court ruled that “vertical agreements establishing minimum resale prices can have either procompetitive or anticompetitive effects, depending upon the circumstances in which they are formed.” Thus, these agreements should no longer be per se (or automatically) unlawful, as previously ruled in the Dr. Miles case. Rather, courts should apply the “rule of reason” standard to decide, on a case-by-case basis, whether a particular vertical price restraint violates antitrust law. It should be emphasized that the Court’s decision still leaves vertical minimum resale price restraints open to antitrust challenge.

/ Had checkbook in hand but No sale #28  
That's pretty much what Chewwy said.

/ Had checkbook in hand but No sale #29  

Anyone?

MoKelly
I would plead ignorance on paying Use tax as an individual if discovered. On big ticket items like tractors the dealerships are prime targets for routine sales & use tax audits by states. States generally are strapped for audit personnel so they go where the big money is.

/ Had checkbook in hand but No sale #30  
That's just about what I'm paying including a backhoe and 48" tiller. 'Course that was two years ago. Not sure what the current number is.

Wish I had access to the kind of pricing you do. My 1025r quote from may 2020 for just tractor, loader and backhoe was $30,700 CAD, a $3,300 discount for a total of $27,400 plus tax. At current exchange that is $22,168 USD. The price with the other attachments I wanted was high enough that I purchased a large frame compact Bobcat tractor with same attachments for only $2,500 more and all of that was due to the backhoe difference which is far more capable, as is the rest of the tractor for that matter at 3,300lb bare tractor weight with loaded tires.

The 1025r is nice, but buying JD my tractor choice was being decided by my budget (I needed bigger), whereas other brands allowed me to pick a tractor based on my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.