PUG F570

/ PUG F570 #41  
I just acquired a jackson, ms built pug. The breather was missing and the carb had 5 years of rain and pine sap in it. flushed and drained the oil several times, bought new spacer, carb, and breather assembly for the briggs vanguard 18hp. freed a stuck exhaust valve. got it running and tire-ject saved the tires. now I was running about 15 mph and a sudden jolt to the drivetrain happened and then it kept going, but I quickly stopped it, and rolled it back home. I am guessing something broke loose in the rearend/axle? I can find no one that works on these dana axle assemblies. lifting the rear of the pug, as expected when in gear, turning one tire by hand - the opposite tire turns the other direction. when in gear, turning the torque converter by hand, the passenger side wheel turns and the drivers side wheel merely twitches. I am assuming something is broken because what else could have caused that jarring moment other than a scrap of metal in the gears? think I can break it apart to look for metal shards without it going to pieces? I have a call in to the golf cart place, hoping they might have experience with similar axles. Hopefully some of the past contributors here are still hanging around.

If rstebbins is still around, I bet it was quite the conversation the day that employees cut the engine mount slots with a grinder wheel. Yep, original mounting plate had the slots cut by grinder. Also with the jackson pug, it is frustrating that the engine has to be unbolted just to get clearance to remove the belt or the blower housing.

and a minor issue, the gas cap had a cork gasket which had long deteriorated. I put in a large rubber washer for a new gas cap gasket, but now the tank experiences a high level of vaccuum with the cap on snug. any suggestions on letting the gas tank breath while keeping debris out of the tank?

i have the service manual to the engine, and have a "manual" which is just a high-level schematic of the pug.

/ PUG F570 #42  
I just acquired a jackson, ms built pug. The breather was missing and the carb had 5 years of rain and pine sap in it. flushed and drained the oil several times, bought new spacer, carb, and breather assembly for the briggs vanguard 18hp. freed a stuck exhaust valve. got it running and tire-ject saved the tires. now I was running about 15 mph and a sudden jolt to the drivetrain happened and then it kept going, but I quickly stopped it, and rolled it back home. I am guessing something broke loose in the rearend/axle? I can find no one that works on these dana axle assemblies. lifting the rear of the pug, as expected when in gear, turning one tire by hand - the opposite tire turns the other direction. when in gear, turning the torque converter by hand, the passenger side wheel turns and the drivers side wheel merely twitches. I am assuming something is broken because what else could have caused that jarring moment other than a scrap of metal in the gears? think I can break it apart to look for metal shards without it going to pieces? I have a call in to the golf cart place, hoping they might have experience with similar axles. Hopefully some of the past contributors here are still hanging around.

If rstebbins is still around, I bet it was quite the conversation the day that employees cut the engine mount slots with a grinder wheel. Yep, original mounting plate had the slots cut by grinder. Also with the jackson pug, it is frustrating that the engine has to be unbolted just to get clearance to remove the belt or the blower housing.

and a minor issue, the gas cap had a cork gasket which had long deteriorated. I put in a large rubber washer for a new gas cap gasket, but now the tank experiences a high level of vaccuum with the cap on snug. any suggestions on letting the gas tank breath while keeping debris out of the tank?

i have the service manual to the engine, and have a "manual" which is just a high-level schematic of the pug.
Are you in MS....I have one also made in JXN. Have to replace brakes on mine and saw the link for parts on page 4 of this link.

/ PUG F570 #43  
@minton my pug was bought in MS. now looking for a tailgate photo or diagram to build one. when i serviced the brakes on mine, i had to modify a universal 3-leg hub puller to get the drums off.

/ PUG F570 #44  
@minton my pug was bought in MS. now looking for a tailgate photo or diagram to build one. when i serviced the brakes on mine, i had to modify a universal 3-leg hub puller to get the drums off

I can send a photo but not clear on what you specifically need. To me, a tailgate is the dump bodies rear access point. My parts manual has diagrams of different sections of the PUG. Will any of those help?

/ PUG F570 #45  
@minton hopefully i updated my settings so that i see notifications sooner.. if you imagine the tailgate of a pickup truck, thats the piece mine is missing. If you have photos of yours, it would help greatly, especially how the ends that fit into the pivot point and latches are made. the "parts diagram" of mine is kindergarten at best, no visible finer detail. For the rearend issue i am having: I vacuum pumped out the gear oil and left a magnet in it. Found nothing other than miniscule grit from normal wear. the "ka-thunk" i experience occasionally when changing from reverse to forward now happens soon after the shifter change, if it happens. I chalked it up to older parts freeing up with the fresh gear oil. The Jackson-built pug has a spring loaded rod in the shift linkage. It may a situation of the gearbox being bound into gear by the shifter and the linkage expanding suddenly when the shiftment fully seats from its bound position. Or it could be something sloppy in the differential. Either way, I have nearly 20 hours on it now, and it runs great other than the "ka-thunk" after a direction change - which only now happens occasionally. Is there anything I can provide for you on yours? The powdercoating is flaking off everywhere, so I will be scraping and painting soon.

/ PUG F570 #46  
johnwayne, sure, see if these help and if you need more let me know.

Attachments

• PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 001.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 001.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 106
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 002.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 002.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 108
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 003.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 003.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 115
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 005.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 005.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 107
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 007.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 007.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 114
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 009.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 009.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 124
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 010.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 010.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 96
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 002.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 002.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 008.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 008.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 97
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 011.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 011.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 135
   / PUG F570 #47  
Here are some more:

Attachments

• PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 013.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 013.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 015.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 015.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 032.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 032.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 033.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 033.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 022.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 022.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 88
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 035.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 035.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 106
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 039.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 039.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 97
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 037.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 037.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
  • PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 038.JPG
    PUG Tailgate assy. 2021-09-28 038.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
   / PUG F570 #48  
By the way, the starting issue is probably the neutral lock-out switch. It's just behind the motor and prone to corrosion and crud boggling up the little switch. It is an off-the-shelf part. Google nuetral safety switches and you'll find something that'll work.

Lift the box and wiggle the gear selector and you'll see where it links up to the NSS. Bonk it with a screwdriver handle or something lightweight and see if it'll free up. Maybe squirt some magic juice on it to clean it off. Worst case, bypass it untill you find another switch...just don't start it in gear, of course.
Did some research and a couple things I'd posted are incorrect. First, the transaxle is made by Dana Spicer and is a Model 012 (or just Model 12). They are very common and still in production and parts are easy to get.
Same for brakes.

The engine, a Briggs 18hp v-twin, is as common as house flies - nothing about it is hard to find or repair. The rest of the PUG is pretty simple and straightforward. The only problem we have had was NOT a broken axle but a seized bearing on the axle. The previous owner got it wet...a lot...and several of the bearings in the rear end assembly were shot. We replaced them all. All bearings are standard, off-the-shelf stuff - $10 each all day long - and easy to replace.

As near as we can tell the only potential problem with parts is the rear axles. They are $100 each and there are four and have the drive sprockets welded onto them. The axles will never wear out - they ride on bearings - but the sprockets could wear out after a couple thousand hours. Even then, it might be a relatively simple thing to cut the sprocket off and weld on a new one. So far, that is the only odd item on this machine. Everything else is pretty much "hardware store" stuff. Even control arm bushings are a commong NAPA item. Very simple, very rugged, made in USA machine. If you own a welder and a hammer, you can fix about anything on it.
Hello, Any chance of anyone having a part # for the rear axle bearing for the 012. I had a axle shaft leak. And pulled the shaft, can't seem to find a # on it. Bearing appears to sealed on one side as there is no seal.

/ PUG F570 #49  
Hello, Any chance of anyone having a part # for the rear axle bearing for the 012. I had a axle shaft leak. And pulled the shaft, can't seem to find a # on it. Bearing appears to sealed on one side as there is
no seal.

Try 1-(606)-872-0549...ask for Michael.

/ PUG F570 #50  
Having trouble w/ engine idling...where on the carb. is the idle screw located and how do I set it?

Also acceleration isn't smooth which may be associated w/ proper idle adjustment.

Have replaced all fuel line, filter, cleaned out tank and carb. looks clean...suggestions? Thanks