trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #31  
ArlyA Don't waste the money. The rivets break and send the knives flying. I had 2 that disintegrated cutting under 1" brush. When one gets knocked off it goes out of balance and all the rest go within a minute or 2.
Depending on what your doing a 12" saw blade works wonders for samplings, sucks in grass. All of the 3-4-6 knive blades only work for grass and weeds. I've gone back to just using .105 string and saw blade.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
ArlyA Don't waste the money. The rivets break and send the knives flying. I had 2 that disintegrated cutting under 1" brush. When one gets knocked off it goes out of balance and all the rest go within a minute or 2.
Thanks for the review! Could the rivets be replaced with 10-24 cap screws or some size along with nylon lock nuts??

/ trail clearing technique and tools #33  
Wouldn't waste the time. The knives bent when they hit hard stuff. You'd be way ahead getting the plastic knives gator head from the home improvement store. They work and last way better.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #34  
I was lucky I had steel toes and thick pants on when the steel knives came off. I had one slice thru my pants and catch on my boot. They are way to chinsy and dangerous to be any good.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #35  
Depending on what your doing a 12" saw blade works wonders for samplings, sucks in grass. All of the 3-4-6 knive blades only work for grass and weeds. I've gone back to just using .105 string and saw blade.
Lucky no one got hurt. Sounds like a wonderfully dangerous tool from a place where liability is non-existent.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #36  
This :)

I was out knocking down some grass, weeds and tree shoots this week. This is with .155 string on a a Echo power head. Top photo shows some of the shoots which are not a problem for this weight of string.
P1110229.jpg
P1110223.jpg
P1110226.jpg

You do know you can get a head to hold 155 string or larger, correct? Years ago, we gave up on smaller strings and today trying to get a .170 head Stihl is suppose to be coming out with. These large string machines rock!

This week we picked up a string head for our Stihl Kombi. Didn't get any good photos of it but will get some soon.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #40  
You do know you can get a head to hold 155 string or larger, correct? Years ago, we gave up on smaller strings and today trying to get a .170 head Stihl is suppose to be coming out with. These large string machines rock!
I've seen them but always figured they were a total pita the have to re string all the time instead of a bump head.
Are they worth it time wise. It's already annoying winding a spool of 105 every 20 min of cutting