White pine top broken, why & how?????

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #11  
I hope you don’t have pine beetles (weevils).

Last edited:
   / White pine top broken, why & how????? #12  
Thanks...interesting link.
Yeah....I grew up on a tree farm and now live on a ex-tree farm and Canker is the only issue we have with mature white pine.
If I remember right, the Gooseberry is part of the life cycle for bugs that can transfer the fungus tree to tree.

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #13  
Throw a fish line attached to a cable or heavier rope.

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #14  
I've had lightning strikes kill the top 5' to 10' of a very few of my Ponderosa pines. But never knocked the top off. I had ONE strike start a fire at the very top of one. I watched it for two days. It finally went out - I didn't have to fall the tree.

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #15  
Throw a fish line attached to a cable or heavier rope.
They make throw weights and super light line for that. They're in arborist catalogs. Throwing up into a tree is harder than it seems like it'd be, especially if there is a lot of foliage. A friend who works as an arborist has the weights and line and also a big slingshot, which makes it a lot easier.

Stuff breaks out of trees, especially pine/fir trees, a lot. Both in winter storms and in the summer when the trees are stressed and heavy with new foliage and cones.

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #16  
Pine is so brittle that most arborists are vert leery of climbing on the limbs.
They snap off real easy.

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #17  
I've got an old archery fishing spool like this that I tape to an old Bear bow and shoot a line over things that I want a line over. It uses a heavy fiberglass arrow with a hole in the end. I remove the barbed tip. No need to kill it. 🤣

Then I use the line to pull a rope up the opposite direction, and then use the rope to pull a cable up if I'm so inclined. Works great. It's how I do the Christmas lights on our 50' spruce tree the past few years.

Attachments

• C04F1C00-2D40-4DA2-8A17-EBA31F076DD2.jpeg
    C04F1C00-2D40-4DA2-8A17-EBA31F076DD2.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 55
   / White pine top broken, why & how????? #18  
I've got an old archery fishing spool like this that I tape to an old Bear bow and shoot a line over things that I want a line over. It uses a heavy fiberglass arrow with a hole in the end. I remove the barbed tip. No need to kill it. 🤣

Then I use the line to pull a rope up the opposite direction, and then use the rope to pull a cable up if I'm so inclined. Works great. It's how I do the Christmas lights on our 50' spruce tree the past few years.
Perfect.

Finally recalled the proper name: Messenger Line

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #19  
I have a white pine on the south side of my property that lost 12' - 15' that was snapped off the top in a windy storm. It lost another limb lower down too.

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #20  
If you have fertilized the pine trees they will grow too fast and become quite weak.