White pine top broken, why & how?????

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #31  
In my youth I had quite the arm for stuff like that. 30 years and a torn rotator cuff later, I'm just happy to be able to draw the bow back and shoot. :)
Ditto, before damaging rotator i was able to throw a softball sized rock over a grain silo, to the dismay of the person up on top throwing stuff at me and sticking is tongue out at me, with a little nah nah nah, thrown in. All in good fun mind you, at least i thought it was fun.

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #32  
Ditto, before damaging rotator i was able to throw a softball sized rock over a grain silo, to the dismay of the person up on top throwing stuff at me and sticking is tongue out at me, with a little nah nah nah, thrown in. All in good fun mind you, at least i thought it was fun.
I've only met two people in my life that could throw farther than me. Now I can't throw a rock more than about 200' at best. However, I have full range of motion, no pain, and can still skip rocks to my heart's content, so life is good. :)

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #33  
Here's a view of where I used to goof around on breaks from a summer job at a man-made whitewater course in South Bend. We had a lot of summer student help. At the start of the season, my boss would take them down to this boat ramp and kinda bluff them into a contest to see how far they could throw a rock into the river. A lot of "Is that all you got?" was said. After much fun, he'd wink at me and I'd ask "Mind if I try?" at 30+ I was old compared to these college kids. So I'd take off my safety gear, look around for good rock, eye up the kids, then launch one half-way up the hill on the lawn of the retirement home across the river. ;)

0BA13BE5-5939-4F6D-A2B0-B3BE87F77D68.jpeg

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #34  
I've only met two people in my life that could throw farther than me. Now I can't throw a rock more than about 200' at best. However, I have full range of motion, no pain, and can still skip rocks to my heart's content, so life is good. :)
Too bad we didn't meet up back in our Yout days. It would have been interesting to see how we'd fair in a rock throwing contest, but by the sounds of it, i'd come in second.

I only met one person that could throw further and man could he throw. Many many years ago playing co-ed softball on the A & W team, he fielded a ball hit way the heck deep into center field, no fences on the field. He scooped it up and threw it almost flat and it hit the batter cage about 6 feet up with a bang! It kinda scared everybody, and i remember thinking, 'great, now the girls won't want to play'. :rolleyes: :D

200' is much better than I, no way i could throw a rock that far now.

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #35  
One of the two people I met that could throw farther than me was a grass cutter for the park. He had an ample supply of golf balls. This area used to be a public beach. This guy could throw golf balls and land them on that road across the lake consistently. It's 422 feet! I managed to get a couple into the trees on the far shore. That's about 375. Probably my best ever with a golf ball.

9A362B95-30F4-4FDF-BAED-877BA3215EC9.jpeg

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #36  
Too bad we didn't meet up back in our Yout days. It would have been interesting to see how we'd fair in a rock throwing contest, but by the sounds of it, i'd come in second.

I only met one person that could throw further and man could he throw. Many many years ago playing co-ed softball on the A & W team, he fielded a ball hit way the heck deep into center field, no fences on the field. He scooped it up and threw it almost flat and it hit the batter cage about 6 feet up with a bang! It kinda scared everybody, and i remember thinking, 'great, now the girls won't want to play'. :rolleyes: :D

200' is much better than I, no way i could throw a rock that far now.
Man, contests like that get my youth stirring! And a big smile on my face. :)

Just so you know, the older I get, the better I was. 🤣

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #38  
I used to play right field for a bar-league softball team. If I got the ball and someone was heading for a base, I always tried to hit the runner with the ball on the fly. I never aimed for the tag at the base. It makes a nice THUD when it hits them. "Sorry dude!" 🤣 Once you show off the gun, it makes them think twice about trying to advance on short pops to right.

/ White pine top broken, why & how????? #39  
Ha ha, that's my story and im sticking to it.
You know when I realized I was 'old'?

My wife and I took our kids cross-country skiing. Towards the end of the day, my oldest daughter said she'd race me back to the barn at the park. She was maybe 14-15 years old. I said sure, but I'll give you a head start. I won't start until you're at that bush over there, about 100 feet away. It was 1/4 mile back to the barn. So she takes off and I patiently wait for her to get to the bush. She gets there, I wink at my wife, and off I go.... and the kid is not slowing down like I planned. Uh-oh! I never did catch her. She finished about 50' in front of me. My lungs were searing with pain from the cold air and snot was rolling out of my nose. Hang it up old man. The kid was ecstatic!

So we go home, and later that night, the kid wants to play a game of chess. OK. I can do that. The kid kills me in short order. I was physically and mentally beaten by youth in the same day.

I went and got an old blanket, wrapped it around my shoulders, and curled up in my chair like an old dog. ;)