Which Backpack Blower?

/ Which Backpack Blower? #41  
I like this 4 stroke Makita EB7660TH. Easy to start, TONs of power, and comfortable. Best part is with it being 4 stroke, the wife can fire it up and use it
I like my makita/dolmar saws and looked at their blowers, but their backpack blower is about 5lbs heavier and much lower output, after an hr of straight use those extra 5lbs are brutal!

Last edited:
   / Which Backpack Blower? #42  
I just purchased my first backpack blower. After a bit of searching I ended up with a Shidaiwa eb910. It is extremely difficult to move forward when this thing is blowing at full speed. It's like walking against a hurricane wind gale. So far I like it a lot.

/ Which Backpack Blower? #43  
Echo for me as well, we have one that is almost 10 years old, gets used a couple of times a week blowing grass on 4 acres (around 8 structures)...but we don't have a ton of leaf blowing. So far it has been fairly bulletproof.

/ Which Backpack Blower? #44  
I just purchased my first backpack blower. After a bit of searching I ended up with a Shidaiwa eb910. It is extremely difficult to move forward when this thing is blowing at full speed. It's like walking against a hurricane wind gale. So far I like it a lot.
Please tell about its features, backpack, etc, etc. Its the fuel caps good on it? Photos are good.

Last edited:
   / Which Backpack Blower? #45  
Please set about its features, backpack, etc, etc. Are it caps good on it? Photos are good.
I'm back in FL for a few days so I can't get real pics.
80cc 2 stroke
1100 cfm
220 mph wind speed
26lbs (a little heavy) but it's comfortable to wear and it sucks wind across your back to keep you cool.

don't know what you mean by caps (typo?)
it was at the very top of my budget plus 100 dollar :)

EB910-(2).png

/ Which Backpack Blower? #46  
I'm back in FL for a few days so I can't get real pics.
80cc 2 stroke
1100 cfm
220 mph wind speed
26lbs (a little heavy) but it's comfortable to wear and it sucks wind across your back to keep you cool.

don't know what you mean by caps (typo?)
it was at the very top of my budget plus 100 dollar :)

View attachment 706249
Nice, I didn't realize it was a rebranded Echo 9010, you'll like it, Echo makes an excellent product.

/ Which Backpack Blower?
Just to FINAL UPDATE this post... I got my Echo 8010 back from the shop after 3.5 months - after I purchased a backup unit, the Redmax 8550.

The Echo dealer was suspicious that i wasn't using the right oil in it, which would void my warranty... but then suddenly they changed their tune and the warranty covered the long repair. From tuning 2-strokes, I can tell you they have it running richer than it was... at WOT it occasionally does a rich sputter... but it runs okay. That should make the cylinder happy.

The tech said these kinds of blowers are more picky about oil than any other equipment, so I swore that I would use nothing but ethanol-free and the premium RedMax oil he sold me. My other 2-strokes never run at WOT all day long, so I guess I'll let 'em have that one.

In the last week I've been using them a lot back to back, so to compare the two:
The Echo is more comfortable to wear and has better vibration dampening. It also blows a further pattern than the RedMax.
The Redmax harness is not as comfortable and there is a lot of vibration transferred to your back. After using about 4 hours straight, that becomes a noticeable difference. But the Redmax engine seems to run like a swiss watch... like an electric motor at full tilt.
Both blowers are loud as you would expect. My ears would be ringing badly without earplugs, which I always use. They both use a lot of fuel. Their tanks are about a half gallon and they'll go through it in about an hour at WOT. I burned 8.5 gallons in the last 3 days.
The Redmax had a sharper end of the nozzle which made the air blast sharper at the muzzle but not throwing as far as the Echo. After some head-scratching, I hacksawed off about a half inch from the end of the Redmax nozzle and it throws EXACTLY as far as the Echo now.

So, I'm a happy boy with 2 blowers still good, 85 percent of my trails blown... just a little 'blower poor.'

((Oh BTW... the Shindawa is a RedMax with different stickers.))

/ Which Backpack Blower? #48  
I have the biggest Echo backpack blower... 80ccs. It's great when it's working. I need it for the power to blow off my woods trails, even when the leaves are a little wet.

I have to have a carried/backpack model, because many of the trails are too steep to use any of the wheeled models, even if that would work.

The Echo is going back to the shop for the second time. It was covered under warranty, but it was gone for months last time.

I've also killed a Stihl 60cc model... it seemed to go the same way. I think the main bearing went south and seized.

Yes, I run the recommended oil in them, and I use them for long hours at a time, but not like I imagine a yard service would. I just don't know why I'm killing them.

Has anybody tried the RedMax? I haven't tried them yet.

Thanks.
Best would be a batter powered one. You're emmitting A LOT of pollution that is very close to yourself and therefore breathing a lot of it.

/ Which Backpack Blower? #49  
I got the redmax 7500. Reason being that the 8500 and 8550 is the same engine just run at higher rpms. Not a fan of running the chit out of a $700 machine. Redmax has seen their fill of blown up 8500's.

/ Which Backpack Blower? #50  
Best would be a batter powered one. You're emmitting A LOT of pollution that is very close to yourself and therefore breathing a lot of it.
Is there any battery units that can compare to the large 80cc blowers?

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app