TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,091  
Straight walled cartridges' are cool like low riders and choppers, they'll be in style for a long time...with a select type of male homosapiens.
I honestly believe the .45-70 will be around as long as rifles are made.

Bullet weight, bullet velocity and bullet composition (wich determines wound channel and bullet expansion) are pretty much the variables you have to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use a .45-70 out past 150 yards with my rifle for anything, but as it, it's good for anything in the world under 100 yards IMO from a small hog to a large elephant.

The rifles that use that round really aren't "sexy" (eyes of the beholder IMO) and are not really "marketable" with everything out today IMO (bullet weight and velocity vs gun weight = recoil).

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,092  
Yeah. This is strictly bolt action too

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,094  
Love me some .260 rem, too bad 6.5 C got all the marketing and sort of took over the market. Enjoy! I can vouch for it's effectiveness on hogs and deer.
I've a Tikka stainless fluted with a walnut stock (Hunter model) 6.5 CM... I can vouch for its effectiveness on deer and hogs also.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,095  
Didn't/doesn't Winchester make the 45/70 and 45/90 in a lever action? I know there are some older ones around...
Not familiar. I’d like to try a 45-70. I know it might not be the performance king of today’s ammo. But my favorite book is “lure of the labrador wild”. Those guys carried into the wilds and uncharted territory of labrador in 1903 two 45-70s and two 22lr pistols. They shot a few geese and one caribou with them.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,096  
I have 2 lever guns and 1 falling block in 45/70. If I could only have 1 rifle, 1 shotgun and 1 hand gun they would be my Marlin Guide stainless lever action in 45/70, my Benelli M4 in 12 gauge and my 1960 Colt Python in 357. That should get most jobs done.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,097  
Love me some .260 rem, too bad 6.5 C got all the marketing and sort of took over the market. Enjoy! I can vouch for it's effectiveness on hogs and deer.
I already have another .260 and a 6.5, that's why my daughter wanted the same caliber. I prefer the .260 with a 120gr bullet as a more classic chambering. I hate the cult following stigma of the 6.5CM, but it's also a good round with the ability for larger weight bullets. Both chamberings are all I ever shoot now. Both are great with a suppressor, with a report comparable to a 22LR. I think she'll love her new rifle.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,098  
The "problem" with the .45/70 is when you see a 12 point buck at 250 yards.

It is specialized and excellent round but limited by range for most shooters. Likely 98% of big game harvested is deer and 90% is killed at less than 150 yards. The .45/70 will do that but is more gun than you need for deer.

BTW I had a .45/70 and never used it for hunting for that reason. Even though I live in the woods of MI, we get shots down power lines.

For the gentleman who bought the .260 for his daughter....that is an excellent cartridge and it will not beat her up. If you cannot find the Zeiss, have a look at the Vortex Viper line of scopes.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,099  
The "problem" with the .45/70 is when you see a 12 point buck at 250 yards.

It is specialized and excellent round but limited by range for most shooters. Likely 98% of big game harvested is deer and 90% is killed at less than 150 yards. The .45/70 will do that but is more gun than you need for deer.

BTW I had a .45/70 and never used it for hunting for that reason. Even though I live in the woods of MI, we get shots down power lines.

For the gentleman who bought the .260 for his daughter....that is an excellent cartridge and it will not beat her up. If you cannot find the Zeiss, have a look at the Vortex Viper line of scopes.
yeah in 1903 they had a few missed shots. One fellow starved to death eventually!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,100  
I am getting my dad's .22-250 as he can no longer see well enough to use it. Is it worth trying to use it on hogs? Most of my hunting experience is small game.
As many hogs as there are in Texas, I think you should go try it out on them! I wouldn't trade my Dad's gun for anything, but that is just me. I tend to not let many guns go anyway, but Daddy's, no way!