Security Cameras -update

/ Security Cameras -update
Have you looked into adding a cellular camera to you phone plan? Whether having eSim or needing to purchase one, there are several on the market and ATT/Verizon should be able to accommodate them. But make sure you can use them on your phone plan first.

Otherwise, Spy Point has a 'free' option that sends up to 100 photos a month, going up to $10/mo for unlimited: Photo transmission plans

Then there's CuddleBack which networks up to 16 cameras (might be 24 now) on to one plan utilizing just one cellular camera (the others being networked): Cuddeback - Cuddeback

I have no idea how good either actually are in service.

Here's a list of trail camera plans: How Much Does a Cellular Trail Camera Plan Cost | Trail Cam Junkie
Lots of good info here. Cuddleback seems a bit pricey for me. Also, the camera look too easy to spot. Spy Point has me intrigued. Since I know I will use WiFi in the future, I don't want to spend too much on something else for a 6-12 month window. Thanks for the help.

/ Security Cameras -update #12  
A question. What exactly do you expect from a security camera setup. You are three hours away from the property. Are you planning on having a video feed at your current house. Are you going to sit and monitor this video feed - 24/7/365. And exactly what are your plans if you see nefarious activities.

/ Security Cameras -update
Mostly, I expect to use the images to identify who damaged things and turn it in to the authorities or use as evidence in a civil case for restitution.

We have a tubular steel gate that is 42' off of the county road. Someone hit it and bent it. Not significant this time, but who knows what happens next? Our recent experience with random people driving on our posted land gave us concern and we thought it would be better to have photos if needed. I don't need streaming. The only advantage to that in my thinking is to catch someone stealing the cameras.

/ Security Cameras -update #14  
A question. What exactly do you expect from a security camera setup. You are three hours away from the property. Are you planning on having a video feed at your current house. Are you going to sit and monitor this video feed - 24/7/365. And exactly what are your plans if you see nefarious activities.
You get to post grainy photos of unidentifiable people on Facebook and hope for some Like's.

/ Security Cameras -update #15  
Yea, unless you plan on tracking them down, killing them and disposing of the bodies, they are pretty much useless. Theft insurance seems to me to be a better option. My Ring system in my home is perfect for letting me know when the perpetraitors broke in and stole all my stuff. It even has the option of watching them do it if you like.

/ Security Cameras -update #16  
I like the Tactacam cellular game cameras. WAY better than Spypoint in my opinion. I honestly see cellular as your only option at this point. Get a cheap lock box with the camera to slow down camera thieves. Good luck!

/ Security Cameras -update #17  
My work involved using expensive cameras to monitor remote sites and I was an early adopter of commercial off the shelf (COTS) systems for home use. Since about 2000 I've had (and still have) Foscam, Netgear, Reolink, several Trail cams but for the last 3 years a LOT (about 30) of Wyze cams deployed at 3 residences.
For the OP's situation a few good trail cams would be best for now.

One of the problems with most of the cameras was cost and software. Up until Wyze, cameras cost about $100 and up and problems with software were frequent and rarely fixed. Wyze changed that.

They had a $20 camera with a responsive customer support and a group of programmers that would change the software for the better FREQUENTLY.

But that also is changing. Camera prices jumped this spring (now $30@) and because Wyze now sells so many lines, from Vacuums to doorlocks, their focus has changed.

Their most recent camera, the V3 has pretty fair low light performance, is easy to set up, is weather proof enough to mount outside without separate enclosure, and works well with 128GB SD cards. I get about 2 weeks of CONTINUOUS recording (24 hours/day) on a 128GB SD card.

/ Security Cameras -update #18  
My tech head son would second the opinion in Wyxe cameras.

/ Security Cameras -update #19  
My work involved using expensive cameras to monitor remote sites and I was an early adopter of commercial off the shelf (COTS) systems for home use. Since about 2000 I've had (and still have) Foscam, Netgear, Reolink, several Trail cams but for the last 3 years a LOT (about 30) of Wyze cams deployed at 3 residences.
For the OP's situation a few good trail cams would be best for now.

One of the problems with most of the cameras was cost and software. Up until Wyze, cameras cost about $100 and up and problems with software were frequent and rarely fixed. Wyze changed that.

They had a $20 camera with a responsive customer support and a group of programmers that would change the software for the better FREQUENTLY.

But that also is changing. Camera prices jumped this spring (now $30@) and because Wyze now sells so many lines, from Vacuums to doorlocks, their focus has changed.

Their most recent camera, the V3 has pretty fair low light performance, is easy to set up, is weather proof enough to mount outside without separate enclosure, and works well with 128GB SD cards. I get about 2 weeks of CONTINUOUS recording (24 hours/day) on a 128GB SD card.
Have you tested any compact remote power sources for the wyze cam? I wonder how small of a battery and solar panel you can get away with? I tried mine on a 5000 MAH battery with a solar panel but it killed it in one night. Those things won't recover from dead on the panel they come with.

I have one in my barn plugged into a generic solar panel controller but it's on a group 27 battery. I don't expect the power draw is all that great on it. The motion detection on the Wyze is way better than my Reolink cameras but it's night range seems limited.

The larger Reolink cameras can kill a group 27 battery in 24 hours.

The Argus Eco has been running non stop but only motion records. I tried rigging a 10W panel on the Argus with a USB plug and it would still die after a few days of rain. Since getting the panels sold by Reolink the batteries in both of my Argus Eco cameras have remained near 100%.

I rigged the Wyze V2 up on a post once and the infra red distance was too short. That is one area where the Reolink shines.

I thought the V3 was supposed to have a color night image at a fairly good distance but now I see they sell a spotlight for it in accessories and show the standard night image in black and while like any other night camera.

/ Security Cameras -update #20  
My comments are related to security only.

Until you get WiFi I would go with brand name trailcams. Not those off of Amazon. I have a few of them and they aren’t very good. I also have 4 Browning trail cams that have lasted for 7 years. Put them where no one can reach them if you are that far away (Ie up in a tree). Once you get out there I would recommend point to point wifi with video cameras. I like Arlo video cameras and UniFi networking, but I am sure others are fine.