Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,651  
I could see myself with an ICE and an EV at some point. The EV would be the local grocery getter and save miles on the ICE.
I've long felt the same way. First though they will have to come up with a simpler version; gas, diesel or electric there's no way that I'd pay the prices for a vehicle which are being bandied around here. For 50K I could own a new 3/4 ton with dump and snowplow.
I'm already considering a hybrid Maverick next year, which will allow me to park my Colorado for when I want or need 4WD.
List price on the Maverick is around 20K...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,652  
I could see myself with an ICE and an EV at some point. The EV would be the local grocery getter and save miles on the ICE.
I have an ICE and EV (since sept 10th). I've put last weekend fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank because I don't expect it will empty in the next 6 months. Going to the cottage with my EV today has cost me $1.16. The same trip in my ICE vehicle would have cost me $12.63 in gas alone.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,653  
I have an ICE and EV (since sept 10th). I've put last weekend fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank because I don't expect it will empty in the next 6 months. Going to the cottage with my EV today has cost me $1.16. The same trip in my ICE vehicle would have cost me $12.63 in gas alone.
How far is it?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,656  
Yet you don't address the point of my post. If this really was about the environment, there would be much more push to get people on board with public transportation. That's why I believe that EVs are merely a transfer of wealth from one group of people to another.
"Everybody says" public transportation is so great for the environment but the reason only the ignorant push for it is the math doesn't work. The cost per seat mile is enormous. Smart politicians have figured out that public transportation costs a lot for the few votes it will buy.

The thing that makes EV practical today is how a $50,000 EV can be driven 300,000 miles for 3¢/mile in energy costs. That works out to a total of $59,000.

A $25,000 ICE getting 25 MPG on $3/gallon gasoline consumes $36,000 of gasoline. Plus a $30 oil change every 5,000 miles is $1800, for total of $62,800.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,657  
A $25,000 ICE getting 25 MPG on $3/gallon gasoline consumes $36,000 of gasoline. ...
$3 gas?

Regular is $4.39 at the cheapest place Gasbuddy can find, $4.50 to $4.77 for name brands at the freeway offramps. Northern California.

An EV looks better all the time.

Our neighbor in town appears to have replaced his Ford supercab with a a Tesla 3. I'll have to ask him if he bought it.

Neighbor on the other side has a Tesla S, next beyond that a Chevy Bolt. (I know).

I'm tempted...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,658  
"Everybody says" public transportation is so great for the environment but the reason only the ignorant push for it is the math doesn't work. The cost per seat mile is enormous. Smart politicians have figured out that public transportation costs a lot for the few votes it will buy.

The thing that makes EV practical today is how a $50,000 EV can be driven 300,000 miles for 3¢/mile in energy costs. That works out to a total of $59,000.

A $25,000 ICE getting 25 MPG on $3/gallon gasoline consumes $36,000 of gasoline. Plus a $30 oil change every 5,000 miles is $1800, for total of $62,800.
And don't forget other maintenance like brakes, other fluids like transmissions, differential, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter and timing belt (if it's a belt, not a chain). Maintenance chart in an ICE vehicle means you must be at a shop several times a year.

The only maintenance recommended on my Tesla is brake cleaning yearly because they don't get used often enough.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#4,659  

While this is one of those 5 years to never things it is exciting. Over the years I have observed when the consciousness of mankind gets focus of a problem solutions start popping like popcorn.

For 70 years I have been hearing "Murray Kentucky the birth place of Radio" on local radio.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#4,660  
$3 gas?

Regular is $4.39 at the cheapest place Gasbuddy can find, $4.50 to $4.77 for name brands at the freeway offramps. Northern California.

An EV looks better all the time.

Our neighbor in town appears to have replaced his Ford supercab with a a Tesla 3. I'll have to ask him if he bought it.

Neighbor on the other side has a Tesla S, next beyond that a Chevy Bolt. (I know).

I'm tempted...
EVS are not an option for people that has got to get a set of wheels for $3,000.

EVs are an option for anyone able to buy a new car.

Some shop for food daily because they cannot bring home 2 weeks supply of food at one time due to financial reasons.

Currently EVS cost more the day of the purchase than a ice car but as you can read long-term EVS for many people are already the cheapest lowest cost option. As they say quality only cost once but you pay it up front. :)

I think in 5 years many people can go for an EV and most everyone in 10 years from now.

I passed the Ford dealership yesterday and noticed his parking lot is probably down by 50% as far as inventory goes which is very unusual for him. More people are going to be waiting 2 to 3 years before buying their next car because of the high prices today which opens up a window to make a decision about EVS two or three years from now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.