Wood splitters

/ Wood splitters #21  
I have one that I made on a I beam. K car axle. It has a 13HP engine and a 2 stage pump. Cycle time is 4 seconds
It is 2 slow with the tractor hydraulics. You want your splitter to be a stand alone unit. It will use less gas and the tractor can be used for other operations while you are splitting
I always get a kick out of posters here telling someone else what "they" want. lol

I prefer my 3 point splitter over a stand alone by far......I'll bet you your splitter uses more gas than my splitter...

I don't need my tractor for "other operations", while I'm splitting, all I need it for is splitting, and it works fantastic for that...

SR

/ Wood splitters #22  
I always get a kick out of posters here telling someone else what "they" want. lol

I prefer my 3 point splitter over a stand alone by far......I'll bet you your splitter uses more gas than my splitter...

I don't need my tractor for "other operations", while I'm splitting, all I need it for is splitting, and it works fantastic for that...

SR

You always leave out the key details that you have multiple tractors so you aren’t loosing anything tying up one and you have a pto pump and aren’t using the much slower rear remotes.

/ Wood splitters
I have one that I made on a I beam. K car axle. It has a 13HP engine and a 2 stage pump. Cycle time is 4 seconds
It is 2 slow with the tractor hydraulics. You want your splitter to be a stand alone unit. It will use less gas and the tractor can be used for other operations while you are splitting
I wouldnt use the tractors hydraulics. The timberwolf comes with a pump that runs on the pto shaft and its own seperate hydraulic tank. What I do and what works best for me as I typically cut and split alone anyway is cut the trees down de limb, burn the brush and stack logs as I have a grapple. Block it all and then split. So when I do split, im splitting for hours at a rip anyway. If I decide on the tractor mount, which is more where im leaning right now, i will definitely add a pats quick hitch system to make tractor as they can be a pain to take on and off

/ Wood splitters #24  
Looking at a couple of different wood splitters. My dad has had a timberwolf tw3 for quite a long time now, ive always liked it as its got a lot more splitting force compared to something you would pick up at a farm store. Anyways, I bought a new dk5010 and my original plan was to buy the same splitter. Recently I came across an Easton made ultra wood splitter. Seems stupid fast and definitely has my attention. What are your guys thoughts? Tractor mounted tw3, which BTW comes with pto kit so it doesnt run off the tractors hydraulics or the easton ultra stand up splitter?
If you have health issues use a splitter? Maybe, but I think many machines promote obesity and health issues with many of us. You spend a lot of money to still lift and stack logs and physically move them out of the way, then to move more logs out of your way all around a big noisey machine. I prefer a 4 pound, $40.00, splitting axe for many reasons, here the top 10: 1. Faster than most hydraulic splitters. 2. No yelling while working. Shouting over motors moving wedges is dangerous. 3. Most who have splitters use 2 people to do a one person job. 4. Teaches you to read your wood which comes in handy for felling trees and bucking logs stuck between trees in the woods 5. Absolutely great cardio and general exercise. If you can't split with an axe then why get a splitter? 6. Grandkids love trying to outsplit grandpa creating healthy, quiet outdoor family time. 7. Quieter by far and non-polluting, no breathing fumes. 8. Listening the the whack of a log splitting around an axe head and thumping the splitting log in early morning, a one of a kind sound (I tap log, lift, flip over and let weight of log hitting axe on stump split the log). 9. It heats you up doing the work, true heating you 3 times. 10. Satisfaction of the fruit of your labor, heating your house for the winter.
IMG_9465.JPG

Showing how arch was made.
IMG_9447.JPG

Part of 4 full cords of wood, used as a privacy fence during the year.
IMG_9445.JPG
Gate to the barn, EMT tubing lashed to t-posts.

/ Wood splitters #25  
What are you guys using for splitters with faster cycle times?
Split-Fire 2265.

3 to 4 second cycle time each direction on straight wood. Knarly stuff takes longer, but don't process much tuff wood. Split hardwoods when they are freshly cut. Split softwoods when the rounds have dried.
Run the engine a half rpm most of the time, will run all day on a tank of gas.

/ Wood splitters #26  
If you have health issues use a splitter? Maybe, but I think many machines promote obesity and health issues with many of us. You spend a lot of money to still lift and stack logs and physically move them out of the way, then to move more logs out of your way all around a big noisey machine. I prefer a 4 pound, $40.00, splitting axe for many reasons, here the top 10: 1. Faster than most hydraulic splitters. 2. No yelling while working. Shouting over motors moving wedges is dangerous. 3. Most who have splitters use 2 people to do a one person job. 4. Teaches you to read your wood which comes in handy for felling trees and bucking logs stuck between trees in the woods 5. Absolutely great cardio and general exercise. If you can't split with an axe then why get a splitter? 6. Grandkids love trying to outsplit grandpa creating healthy, quiet outdoor family time. 7. Quieter by far and non-polluting, no breathing fumes. 8. Listening the the whack of a log splitting around an axe head and thumping the splitting log in early morning, a one of a kind sound (I tap log, lift, flip over and let weight of log hitting axe on stump split the log). 9. It heats you up doing the work, true heating you 3 times. 10. Satisfaction of the fruit of your labor, heating your house for the winter. View attachment 715756
View attachment 715753
View attachment 715754 Gate to the barn, EMT tubing lashed to t-posts.
Well...
Most of your wood is not split.

Wait until you cannot split wood without your hands going numb.

Enjoy your good health while you have it

I used a maul and wedges until I was 62, but it would be very difficult to split the quantity of wood I use now.

/ Wood splitters #27  
You always leave out the key details that you have multiple tractors so you aren’t loosing anything tying up one and you have a pto pump and aren’t using the much slower rear remotes.
Just in case you didn't read it the "other" 50 times I answered that....

I only use ONE tractor when splitting, it doesn't matter if I had 50 tractors, I only use one, the one the splitter is on!

I stage all of my rounds, so I don't need a second tractor, for anything, while splitting.

Do you FINALLY understand that "detail" now??? lol

SR

/ Wood splitters #28  
Well...
Most of your wood is not split.

Wait until you cannot split wood without your hands going numb.

Enjoy your good health while you have it

I used a maul and wedges until I was 62, but it would be very difficult to split the quantity of wood I use now.
Sorry, was showing part of the volume of wood we use , Images are from last year. Here is an image from this year, July, you can see my splitter in the image (axe) on the stump. Nearly all is split with the exception of what will fit in my wood burner without splitting. Every year is different and depends on what is available, but all that is split is with an axe. I find this version, copied from swedish versions, is the best yet as I have had several over the years. The heavier mauls are too bulky for how I split wood. 100% is cut with Stihl electric chainsaw and split with the axe. If you zoom in you will see most is split. I am 66 years old, by the way and believe this exercise helps keep me the 4 year old I am inside, rather than sitting on the couch. Hard work is good for all, and sometimes the simplest ways are still the most productive. Thanks for pointing out the "unsplit" in the images I used.

IMG_1209.JPG

/ Wood splitters #29  
If you have health issues use a splitter? Maybe, but I think many machines promote obesity and health issues with many of us. You spend a lot of money to still lift and stack logs and physically move them out of the way, then to move more logs out of your way all around a big noisey machine. I prefer a 4 pound, $40.00, splitting axe for many reasons, here the top 10: 1. Faster than most hydraulic splitters. 2. No yelling while working. Shouting over motors moving wedges is dangerous. 3. Most who have splitters use 2 people to do a one person job. 4. Teaches you to read your wood which comes in handy for felling trees and bucking logs stuck between trees in the woods 5. Absolutely great cardio and general exercise. If you can't split with an axe then why get a splitter? 6. Grandkids love trying to outsplit grandpa creating healthy, quiet outdoor family time. 7. Quieter by far and non-polluting, no breathing fumes. 8. Listening the the whack of a log splitting around an axe head and thumping the splitting log in early morning, a one of a kind sound (I tap log, lift, flip over and let weight of log hitting axe on stump split the log). 9. It heats you up doing the work, true heating you 3 times. 10. Satisfaction of the fruit of your labor, heating your house for the winter. View attachment 715756
View attachment 715753
View attachment 715754 Gate to the barn, EMT tubing lashed to t-posts.

Most of that wood isn’t split. If I had a dollar for everyone I’ve heard say they can split wood faster by hand I’d turn up my thermostat and not worry about wood. If I had a dollar for everyone I’ve actually seen do it I’d have $0 dollars. Let’s see you split some 30” pieces by hand. Yea sure eventually it would get done but you’d probably manage 2 of them before you were beat.

/ Wood splitters #30  
Most of that wood isn’t split. If I had a dollar for everyone I’ve heard say they can split wood faster by hand I’d turn up my thermostat and not worry about wood. If I had a dollar for everyone I’ve actually seen do it I’d have $0 dollars. Let’s see you split some 30” pieces by hand. Yea sure eventually it would get done but you’d probably manage 2 of them before you were beat.