Wood splitters

/ Wood splitters #11  
I do split and sell wood in the side, part of why I wouldnt use the tractors hydraulics as the cycle time is definitely quicker.

The tractor splitter is cheaper and more theft resistant but I’d rather have the self powered splitter. I like to have help run the splitter while I’m cutting wood and I need the tractor to move logs. Maybe if I was strictly working by myself I wouldn’t care as much.

/ Wood splitters
The tractor splitter is cheaper and more theft resistant but I’d rather have the self powered splitter. I like to have help run the splitter while I’m cutting wood and I need the tractor to move logs. Maybe if I was strictly working by myself I wouldn’t care as much.
What are you running for a splitter?

/ Wood splitters #13  
What are you running for a splitter?

Here’s what I have. The design is great. I’d buy the same thing again in a heartbeat. The actual tool is a complete POS though. Do yourself a favor and don’t buy anything from Ruggedmade.
IMG_0634.JPG

/ Wood splitters #14  
In my situation, buying a high end splitter ended up being a poor option. It made more sense to rent a processor. $450 for a two day rental every two years and I can split over 12 cords. I burn 6 cords a year. So cost is $250/ year.

I use a grapple to handle logs. I do not need to cut logs into rounds, or lift rounds onto the splitter. Easy and almost no labor to cut and split. No need for a “good” chainsaw, and no chains to sharpen/replace. The hardest part is stacking splits.

I am 71. It is unlikely I could process wood the normal way too much longer, so a mechanized option was my best option.

/ Wood splitters #16  
Here’s what I have. The design is great. I’d buy the same thing again in a heartbeat. The actual tool is a complete POS though. Do yourself a favor and don’t buy anything from Ruggedmade. View attachment 715597
I am confused. You said you would buy again then said it was a pos? I am about to buy a splitter and ruggedmade was on my short list. Please explain why it is a bad splitter. Nearly all the reviews I have seen are postive. (for what that is worth!)

/ Wood splitters #17  
I am confused. You said you would buy again then said it was a pos? I am about to buy a splitter and ruggedmade was on my short list. Please explain why it is a bad splitter. Nearly all the reviews I have seen are postive. (for what that is worth!)

I would buy the design as in a horizontal only 4 way with a lift again. I wouldn’t buy anything made by ruggedmade again. I’ve broke everything there is to break on the splitter. And I paid $2700 a few years ago. The same model is $4400 now. At that price do yourself a big favor and buy a TW or Eastonmade.

Last edited:
   / Wood splitters #18  
I would buy the design as in a horizontal only 4 way with a lift again. I wouldn’t buy anything made by ruggedmade again. I’ve broke everything there is to break on the splitter. And I paid $2700 a few years ago. The same model is $4400 now. At that price do yourself a big favor and buy a TW or Eastonmade.
Ok, thanks for clarifying.

/ Wood splitters #19  
Personally I prefer stand alone splitter as it leaves tractor free to move split wood and unsplit rounds (by helper?).... As you get older you will find speed is not a necessity.... It all about users endurance....

/ Wood splitters #20  
What are you guys using for splitters with faster cycle times?
I have one that I made on a I beam. K car axle. It has a 13HP engine and a 2 stage pump. Cycle time is 4 seconds
It is 2 slow with the tractor hydraulics. You want your splitter to be a stand alone unit. It will use less gas and the tractor can be used for other operations while you are splitting