Wood splitters

/ Wood splitters #1  

Darren33

Tractor
John Deere 4410
Looking at a couple of different wood splitters. My dad has had a timberwolf tw3 for quite a long time now, ive always liked it as its got a lot more splitting force compared to something you would pick up at a farm store. Anyways, I bought a new dk5010 and my original plan was to buy the same splitter. Recently I came across an Easton made ultra wood splitter. Seems stupid fast and definitely has my attention. What are your guys thoughts? Tractor mounted tw3, which BTW comes with pto kit so it doesnt run off the tractors hydraulics or the easton ultra stand up splitter?

/ Wood splitters #3  
I would think that the tractor mounted unit would be just fine, I use a Speedco 3 pt hitch model and tractor hydraulics and it splits large live oak with no problem, a little slower than a stand alone unit but plenty fast enough to be efficient , so unless you are going to split wood for a living hydraulics work fine and I am sure PTO models compare to stand alone and everybody and there brother won't borrow it.

/ Wood splitters
I do split and sell wood in the side, part of why I wouldnt use the tractors hydraulics as the cycle time is definitely quicker.

/ Wood splitters #5  
From what I've seen the tractor attached splitters tend to have long cycle times. From what I have seen though you can get a quite powerful tractor-attached splitter for less than what you would have to pay for a good standalone unit.

I like that I can use my tractor/cart to split right into the cart, then move that to the stacking area. I can also use my bucket as a log-lift for heavy rounds.

I opted for a kinetic splitter (Super Splitter) due to their speed and good history. I have only put a fraction of a cord through it, but I have been happy so far with its speed. I don't sell firewood, but my time is limited so the faster I can work the better. I also looked at the Eastonmade Ultra; their unit built to compete with the fast kinetic splitters. It looked good ("Into the woodyard" uses one), but it was over $1,000 more and I think was quite a lot higher for shipping.

Last edited:
   / Wood splitters #6  
Splitting force is not as important to me as speed. You need to figure out what matters to you and look at the type of wood you will be splitting.

There is no one best answer.

/ Wood splitters
I did just look and seen that shipping is between $1200 and $1500 and was reading right now the wait time is extremely long. Think the cycle time is 8 seconds on the tw3 timberwolf and 4 on the easton ultra. Was also checking out the American conveyors and splitters tractor mounted splitter, they offer a p to kit option as well. Never heard of this company until I bought my tractor

/ Wood splitters #8  
Splitting force is not as important to me as speed. You need to figure out what matters to you and look at the type of wood you will be splitting.

There is no one best answer.

Agreed. A fast cycle time is a lot more important to me than monster tonnage. When I’m sawing I usually cut half way through lengthwise on the challenging pieces. A few extra seconds sawing on 1 out of 50 pieces is way better than waiting a few extra seconds on every stroke.

/ Wood splitters
Thats a good point on the type of wood. Some of it is simple but alot of it is pretty gnarly. Especially alot of the spruce I sell as camp wood. I think force behind the tractor would be far more important to me over the speed. Never really thought of it like that

/ Wood splitters
What are you guys using for splitters with faster cycle times?