Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #281  
"It's like a campaign slogan from a while back, worst one ever for America because it's the idea that someone else (union, government, whatever) is going to fix your problems. They aren't and in most cases even if they fix yours they've made it worse for countless others. Don't "hope", get out there and find your goal then get after it."

I recall a recent president saying something along the lines of "I alone can fix it..."
i've said it before, hope is nice but....it's no solution.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #282  
i didn't read brave new world until i was 65.

smells a lot like brave new world out there to me.

Although......i would LOVE to have a beta follow me around all day so when i said

where's my.....coffee....tape measure...pencil....screwdriver...hammer,....remote....keys....phone...whatever....

they would magically give them to me and disappear.

stedford wives?
i said i needed a beta to keep track of stuff, warm up the coffee etcetc.

i saw on the news this morning the queen getting out of her car and magically, her walking cane appears 2 inches from her right had.

she has a beta. i'm not a queen but, i sure could use a beta!

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #283  
The difference is one of direction. The union actively protects the lazy workers. I never said there were no lazy workers outside of unions. A few may even slip through the cracks due to bad management, but it is not a way of life. In non union shops lazy worker sticking around is an aberration. In union shops, lazy workers are applauded in my experience.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #284  
The comments on this site about of the union employees as lazy, worthless, neglectful, lethargic, listless, sluggish, slothful, (there are more synonyms if needed) and the non-union employees as ambitious, diligent, enterprising, zealous, energetic, exuberant, lively, snappy, spirited, vigorous, vivacious and zippy (more if you need) just isn't the case where I work, which is the healthcare industry. We rely on the maintenance employees (union) to keep the equipment working. We rely on the environmental services employees (union) to keep the hospital, procedure and operating rooms clean and sanitized properly (important during pandemics). We rely on the food service workers (union) to provide food for the patients and staff and they perform and important service. We rely on the surgical and procedure room staff (union) to provide materials and supplies for the operating and procedure rooms.

These workers perform these tasks without the "laziness" and "contempt for the employer" as some here suggest. Now, I don't pretend that there are no issues with these workers. I am sure there are and I just don't see them. But let me assure you, I have witnessed behavior amongst the non-union staff that is quite questionable. Yet, these workers continue to have a job.

So, those who want to keep patting themselves on the back as being a gift to the workplace, well keep doing so. At least where I work, the work ethic between the two groups is very similar.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #286  
It boils down to the person. Not their affiliations.

The comments on this site about of the union employees as lazy, worthless, neglectful, lethargic, listless, sluggish, slothful, (there are more synonyms if needed) and the non-union employees as ambitious, diligent, enterprising, zealous, energetic, exuberant, lively, snappy, spirited, vigorous, vivacious and zippy (more if you need) just isn't the case where I work, which is the healthcare industry. We rely on the maintenance employees (union) to keep the equipment working. We rely on the environmental services employees (union) to keep the hospital, procedure and operating rooms clean and sanitized properly (important during pandemics). We rely on the food service workers (union) to provide food for the patients and staff and they perform and important service. We rely on the surgical and procedure room staff (union) to provide materials and supplies for the operating and procedure rooms.

These workers perform these tasks without the "laziness" and "contempt for the employer" as some here suggest. Now, I don't pretend that there are no issues with these workers. I am sure there are and I just don't see them. But let me assure you, I have witnessed behavior amongst the non-union staff that is quite questionable. Yet, these workers continue to have a job.

So, those who want to keep patting themselves on the back as being a gift to the workplace, well keep doing so. At least where I work, the work ethic between the two groups is very similar.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #287  
When I was working in industry I saw a major change happen, starting in the early 1990s. ... The CEO's job is to return maximum return to the stockholders during the current fiscal period.
Just curious, did the size of your company expand along with such changes, and was it (or did it become) a publicly traded company?

Before my company went public, we did whatever it took to get ahead. We'd make changes or investments to grow even if it would cause significant revenue losses for a year (or sometimes years.)

After we went public, pressure to produce quarterly profits rose to a zenith that is hard to fully describe. Management and C-level VP's were in a constant situation of produce, or be fired.

Many criticize relentless pressure for quarterly profits. But if you are a pure investor, buying stock through an exchange, you expect such focus and diligence to make your investment pay off.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #288  
^^^ Experienced this firsthand. Perpetual growth through profits ain't gonna happen. There WILL be an end. Greed has become a driving force rather than a simple, survival tactic.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #289  
^^^ Experienced this firsthand. Perpetual growth through profits ain't gonna happen. There WILL be an end. Greed has become a driving force rather than a simple, survival tactic.
Is it greed or fighting for a finite resource (investors)?

Status
Not open for further replies.