Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers? #111  
I know an FBI agent and a Dept of Labor officer...yes, they have their own armed officers. My brother is a civilian employee for DoD...retired USAF.
I know several who work for Homeland Security. They have always been very low key about where they work.

/ Essential Workers? #112  
Big difference between state/local and federal jobs. You really do have to try to get fired/laid off from a federal job. State job security I'm sure varies from one state to another.

That's just wrong. I had a friend who was a teacher, and she was able to take a full year off with pay by using accumulated sick and personal time she'd never used. Try that in private industry.

In my state it's not necessary to go to the DMV to register most vehicles, it can all be done at town hall (for a relatively small "convenience" fee). Commercial vehicles, antique cars, etc. do need to be done at the DMV for the initial registration, renewals can be done by the town.

No way out of going to the DMV when license renewal time comes though. Last time I waited in line for almost an hour, and they had all the windows open. Line stretched out the door.
Can't blame it all on the employees though, they did seem to be working as fast as possible. Lots of people renewing licenses/transferring from another state, etc. and didn't have all their paperwork. The state was also transitioning to "enhanced" licenses, which involved additional paperwork that needed verifying.
Every time the Legislature has considered merit raises for teachers the biggest opponents have been teachers and the teachers union.
I have no idea if this is the reason, but years ago I worked for a state agency and they replaced experience pay raises every few years with merit raises. We didn’t see a problem with this initially until we realized the changes also required the legislature to fund merit raises annually. Over time, the legislature never funded merit raises and we went years without a pay raise. We would get superior performance evaluations every year but no merit raises.

/ Essential Workers? #113  
I've been trying to think of any Federal employees I know as friends, neighbors and acquaintances and can't come up with any if military excluded.
My first wife (RIP) was a civilian employee for the Dept of Defense.
Do postal workers count as federal employees?
Over time, the legislature never funded merit raises and we went years without a pay raise. We would get superior performance evaluations every year but no merit raises.
Welcome to private industry. Happened to me at several companies I worked for. In one case I had to make it known (without actually saying it in so many words) I was "looking" in order to get one.

/ Essential Workers? #114  
I have no idea if this is the reason, but years ago I worked for a state agency and they replaced experience pay raises every few years with merit raises. We didn’t see a problem with this initially until we realized the changes also required the legislature to fund merit raises annually. Over time, the legislature never funded merit raises and we went years without a pay raise. We would get superior performance evaluations every year but no merit raises.
That was either a real failure of the agency administrator or a brilliant ploy to get by without giving raises for several years.

Must have been some really lucrative 'perks' on that job or why else would anyone stay there?

/ Essential Workers? #115  
My BIL works as a military contractor at the Pentagon after 20 years of distinguished military service in the Army.
He was in FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) for 10-15 years….that’s some crazy stuff those boys do.
Now he’s always in some country that ends in “_____stan”. He will go over there for 2-3 weeks and not be heard from then call my sister from a satellite phone lol.
Unassuming looking guy who could have you on the ground screaming for your mommy….even if you’re 6’-4”.

/ Essential Workers? #116  
Every time the Legislature has considered merit raises for teachers the biggest opponents have been teachers and the teachers union.

One reason to object is favoritism by some of those who evaluate teachers.

Bruce

/ Essential Workers? #117  
That was either a real failure of the agency administrator or a brilliant ploy to get by without giving raises for several years.

Must have been some really lucrative 'perks' on that job or why else would anyone stay there?
Many of us left. But this was state government, all agencies.

/ Essential Workers?
Good question... are US Postal Service workers classified as Federal employees?

/ Essential Workers? #119  
Technically they are not part of the federal government, but they do participate in the Federal govt's retirement plan, the Thrift Savings Plan. The Thrift Savings Plan is only open to Federal Government employees and uniformed personnel. So based on this, yes, the are part of the Federal government even though they say they are not!

/ Essential Workers? #120  
Not the America I grew up in...
Here we go again ...

"People inside the store screamed and ran away from the horrifying scene, which has become common in the Bay Area since a California state law downgraded the theft of property less than $950 in value from a felony charge to a misdemeanor in 2014."

Status
Not open for further replies.