Grading--what am I doing to cause this?

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this?
The amount of input to this thread indicates one of the primary uses of compact tractors. I suspect that mowing and/or "bushhogging" would be at the top of the list but roadway maintenance would be very close to the top.
Yeah, I am surprised at the number of posts. All very useful and consistent info. Thanks all, it's going to help a lot.

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this? #82  
Regarding the "gravitational anomalies" in your drive, note that if there are any areas where it goes up or down hill, even slightly, then the geometry changes.

When the front wheels go uphill a bit, now the blade hanging off the back is lowered relative to the center. Worse, the lowered blade digs out a little low spot so that next time you pass over that area, the effect is greater.

Going downhill, even slightly, lifts the blade, and again the effect adds up on every pass.

Since my own drive goes over hill and dale, I've often wished I had a way to belly mount a blade equidistant between the wheels so I'd have something like a road grader.

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this? #83  
Yup, we call this "chatter." Just need more weight.

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this? #84  
I don't have a lot of experience doing this basic task. See the photo, I've used both a blade and box blade and keep getting these ripples and have no clue why. I've tried it with the lift arm float mechanism in and out and the slow-return lift adjustment loose and nearly off and nothing gets rid of the ripple. The tractor is a Branson 3520 and it doesn't have draft control, not sure if that would help. I'm in cenral Texas hill country, v hard ground, very rocky, I usually try to do any grading when the road is just a bit wet. Anyone have any ideas? Is it something obvious and I'm just too much a noob? Thanks for any suggestions.
View attachment 725180

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this? #85  
I don't have a lot of experience doing this basic task. See the photo, I've used both a blade and box blade and keep getting these ripples and have no clue why. I've tried it with the lift arm float mechanism in and out and the slow-return lift adjustment loose and nearly off and nothing gets rid of the ripple. The tractor is a Branson 3520 and it doesn't have draft control, not sure if that would help. I'm in cenral Texas hill country, v hard ground, very rocky, I usually try to do any grading when the road is just a bit wet. Anyone have any ideas? Is it something obvious and I'm just too much a noob? Thanks for any suggestions.
View attachment 725180
If that were my driveway, I would be hooking up my drag harrow with the tines up and run up and down the driveway a few times to smooth it. Otherwise, it looks pretty good for the kind of material you have to work with. It looks similar to what I have which is 4" to dust. It's good road base, but lousy top coat. Some 3/4 minus would make a smooth finish, but the cost can add up quickly.

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this? #86  
I have found specially with box scraper that any irregularities in the exeisting grade will translate into ups and downs of scraper as the wheels go over the high and lows. I try to start from a flat area then grade backwards so the wheels remain on a level surface. You could also use a drag such as a railroad tie with chain link fencing trailing to take out some of the irregularities

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this?
If that were my driveway, I would be hooking up my drag harrow with the tines up and run up and down the driveway a few times to smooth it. Otherwise, it looks pretty good for the kind of material you have to work with. It looks similar to what I have which is 4" to dust. It's good road base, but lousy top coat. Some 3/4 minus would make a smooth finish, but the cost can add up quickly.
Don't have a harrow, I could do it in drag and that would be a pretty harrowing experience,would that do? Had to look up '3/4 minus', thought it was a typo, that would be great but I don't want to spend any money on this, it's good enough for for me. What do you mean by '4" to dust'? Can't figure that out. Where I'm at it's all limestone with a little soil or weathered limestone between the rocks, if there is a between. There can be large slabs in places or just lots of smallish rocks mixed with bigger to a lot bigger. Fortunately, where the road is is mostly the smallish.

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this? #88  
View attachment 725180
Number one thing I have learned is SLOW DOWN your forward speed. Box blades and straight grader/scrapers are about going slow and giving yourself time to feather the three point lift arms. Not every grading job is about dropping the blade and dropping the clutch - it's very much an active event. Weight on the grader blade and box blade will help in rocky terrain, but speed, or lack of it, is very key to a good first few passes. If you establish ripples and undulations early, later passes seem to make them even more pronounced...unless you fix it by slowing down and feathering the draft lift handle on the tractor.

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this? #89  
I'm afraid it's going to have to be the box blade
Yes! And though the underlying washboard issue may have been caused by too little weight, I agree with those that say rippers set shallow are the cure.

No reason to rip deep and turn up problems. Shallow scarifiers will take out that ripple.

I saw my father frustrated by this problem decades ago. He had a 2WD Kubota 13 hp B6100 and a box blade of 36" or 40". But this was on central Florida sand and it didn't come with scarifiers. It was not heavy, and though he had loaded tires his tractor was light too. His driveway was sand and packed shells. The light box blade skipped along, digging in and popping up. Probably not many then and there used scarifiers so he didn't think of them as his cure.

I wish I knew anything about this issue then.

/ Grading--what am I doing to cause this? #90  
Angle the blade harder by bringing the left side farther forward.

I guess being able to angle like that is a blade's advantage over a box blade. I can just tilt my box front to back and side to side of course.