Choosing the right tractor

/ Choosing the right tractor #11  
My initial reaction you are looking on the large size of what you need but it seems people often start out to small so I’d say your in the ball park. Of the ones you listed I like the Kubota best but the Kioti looks attractive also. I’d throw JD in the mix also if there is a dealer nearby.

/ Choosing the right tractor #12  
The 3 tractors I'm seriously considering are the massey ferguson 2850e, kioti dk45se, or the kubota l4701

I have a pond that needs cleaned up around the edges and cleaning when it gets low.

The significantly larger wheels and tires which come on a Kubota MX series tractor should be considered.

Cat I/II Three Point Hitch standard on Kubota MX series tractor is much more robust than Cat I (only) Three Point Hitch on a Kubota l4701.

Last edited:
   / Choosing the right tractor #13  
I have 25 acres in East Texas. I am looking for a new tractor. I have about 5 acres to mow. Sometimes in the spring it rains a lot and by the time the field dries the grass gets 2-3 feet tall. My zero turn mower is getting beat up pretty bad.
I have mostly woods but I tried to put trails in but a 4 wheeler , chainsaw and weed eater just isn't cutting it and I can't keep them from getting overgrown.
I also had my plantation pine thinned and I need a lot of clean up. I have a mixture of pine and hardwoods. I have some huge oaks down but can't get to them with what I have now. Got about 300 yards of driveway that needs some work. I have a pond that needs cleaned up around the edges and cleaned out when it gets low. Plus some general dirt work and such.
I am looking for an all around workhorse in around the 50hp range still nimble enough to navigate in the woods.
The 3 tractors I'm seriously considering to aquire in about 2 months are the massey ferguson 2850e, kioti dk45se, or the kubota l4701. I'm looking to get a grapple / 3rd function, a mid range rotary cutter, boxblade, and if I can swing it a tiller. Looking to make a long term investment. To get it paid off before I retire in 6 years or sow.
My credit is not great but should have a large down payment almost half.
Any suggestions on what I should be looking at.
Kubota MX5400 or 6000, open station. Check them out.

/ Choosing the right tractor #15  
OP. . . The TBN Member “Tradosaurus” is in your neck of the woods. I’m sure he’ll post on here soon. He might give you some good advice on dealers in the area. He and I have an MX5400. I thought the L4701 would be the right size of me, but I went one step up just to make sure.

/ Choosing the right tractor #16  
I thought the L4701 would be the right size for me, but I went one step up just to make sure.

I thought the L4701 would be the right (size) weight for me, but I went up one increment in weight just to make sure.

Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other specification.

Last edited:
   / Choosing the right tractor #17  
I have 25 acres in East Texas. I am looking for a new tractor. I have about 5 acres to mow. Sometimes in the spring it rains a lot and by the time the field dries the grass gets 2-3 feet tall. My zero turn mower is getting beat up pretty bad.
I have mostly woods but I tried to put trails in but a 4 wheeler , chainsaw and weed eater just isn't cutting it and I can't keep them from getting overgrown.
I also had my plantation pine thinned and I need a lot of clean up. I have a mixture of pine and hardwoods. I have some huge oaks down but can't get to them with what I have now. Got about 300 yards of driveway that needs some work. I have a pond that needs cleaned up around the edges and cleaned out when it gets low. Plus some general dirt work and such.
I am looking for an all around workhorse in around the 50hp range still nimble enough to navigate in the woods.
The 3 tractors I'm seriously considering to aquire in about 2 months are the massey ferguson 2850e, kioti dk45se, or the kubota l4701. I'm looking to get a grapple / 3rd function, a mid range rotary cutter, boxblade, and if I can swing it a tiller. Looking to make a long term investment. To get it paid off before I retire in 6 years or sow.
My credit is not great but should have a large down payment almost half.
Any suggestions on what I should be looking at.

My gut says Kubota MX with beefy industrial tires…..

/ Choosing the right tractor
Thank you for all your post so far. I like the MX 5400. That's a great choice. The two things is size and price of the mx. How much more price is it over a l4701? Is the mx gonna be nimble enough in the woods for cutting trails and logging and with all the implements I need with it will it be out of my price range?

/ Choosing the right tractor
We are near FtW, but retiring this summer to our land further east. Technically, Carthage is closer, but the dealer in CM comes highly recommended.
In your range, maybe a TYM 494, an LS 345, a Branson 4820.
Checked out the branson dealer online and he looks like a good place to start. You were right about being worth the drive.