Choosing the right tractor

/ Choosing the right tractor #41  
There is no MX5000. Did you mean MX6000?
MX 5400 is 3,734 lbs I also have never heard of MX 5000 ?? There was 4800 and 5200.

/ Choosing the right tractor #42  
That is not much difference. I do like the lift capacity of the mx better. I have been researching but so many choices can be underwhelming. It a great time as far as choices go to be shopping for a tractor.
The MX is much better than the orphan 4701, our dealer doesn’t bother to order them except for golf courses

/ Choosing the right tractor
When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth. These are the bones of a tractor purchase.

Once these decisions are made you can move on to tractor brands and not be overwhelmed.

(Half the tractor brands will have only 50% of their models actually available within six months due to supply chain probl

Well I do need trails knot so much for the 4 wheeler but to remove logs for firewood. I also had the plantation pine thinned a few years ago and there is a lot of cleanup to do. I have no brand loyalty but I'm trying to get the best tractor to fit my situation. No doubt kubota is a great quality machine and is in the consideration. But ultimately just trying to make a good decision. I agree there is no rush. I have to admit I'm enjoying the search and I like to hear all the great info and opinions of the people on here.

/ Choosing the right tractor #45  
The MX is much better than the orphan 4701, our dealer doesn’t bother to order them except for golf courses
I too prefer and own the MX, but this description as an “orphan” doesn’t make sense to me. It’s irrelevant how many models share the same frame. The only thing that matters is the specs for the particular machine and is it a good fit for the tasks at hand. The upgrades for the MX are what I like: telescoping lift arms standard (like them better than a quick hitch), more loader capacity, flat platform with rubber matt, category 2 hitch, and beefier rear axle and front wheels. But if my uses included more landscaping work than utility work, I would prefer the L4701.

/ Choosing the right tractor #46  

My local Kubota dealer has not stocked an L4701 since I bought my first tractor there in 2010.

His unit volume is in the BX, L2501 and MX. Maintaining parts inventory is so much simpler for the MX series, relative to the single iteration L4701.

/ Choosing the right tractor #47  
My local Kubota dealer has not stocked an L4701 since I bought my first tractor there in 2010.

His unit volume is in the BX, L2501 and MX. Maintaining parts inventory is so much simpler for the MX series, relative to the single iteration L4701.
Well the MX and L4701 share filters size and fluid types !!! Your dealer is stocking parts for L4701.

/ Choosing the right tractor #48  
My advice would be to consider getting a tractor and a zero turn mower. I mowed for years with a tractor. It was a crappy way to mow. It took about 3-4 hours to mow 5 acres, with a 5' rear mount finishing mower. And I had to go back with a push mower for the tight spots. My ZTR gets the whole job done in less than 90 minutes. So, I would get that to mow your lawn, and a 25-30 Hp 4WD tractor for the rest. That size tractor could handle a 5' bush hog, a 5' roto tiller, a 5' rear blade. It could probably pull 4000# in a cart on level ground and may be able to drag 1500-2000#. If equipped with a loader, it could probably lift 1000# or so. My preferred brands on the tractor would be Kubota or Mahindra, but there are other good tractors out there. My ZTR is a Bad Boy, but there are many good brands for them. But get a fabricated steel deck. The stamped ones will not hold up. The cheapo ones usually go for about $3000. Bad Boys go for about $5000. Pro models by Kubota, Exmark, etc., can go for $10-15K. Main difference is cutting speed. The bad boy mows at about 5 MPH. Most pro models can do 10 MPH or faster. The Dixie Chopper can mow at about 17 mph, if your ground is smooth enough to tolerate such a speed!

I do have a zero turn but 2 things hinder it. In the spring we get a lot of rain which by the time the field dries out the grass is above 2 feet. Second is hog damage. My field will almost buck you off the zero turn in some places. So I need the tractor to combat those two factors. I have a mz61 husqvarna zero turn which I will use for upkeep. Yes it is faster overall.

/ Choosing the right tractor #50  
Great post, very important to many new to tractor buyers,

Mej13579.​

Please re-read the posts by

Torvy just below your original post,​

dodge man on page 2,​

and

rademamj1 on page 3.​

My property is very, very similar to yours and rademamj1.

Get as big (highest horsepower) a tractor as you can afford. I have never heard anyone say, "I wish I had a punier tractor."

Branson will most likely give you the best bang for the buck with horsepower and options.

It will lift plenty. There is no statistical difference between the ones mentioned. It's not worth getting the wrong tractor. Just make 5 trips instead of 4.

Get the tires filled with antifreeze to add weight.

Get a grapple. You will use it.

You can mow around the pond by going forward and back, backing toward the pond with your shredder/mower. You won't turn over and the back wheel of your mowing deck may get muddy but you won't get stuck, especially if you go into 4WD and posi-traction.

Get a cab, but be eternally vigilant about low limbs and brush that may break side view mirrors or scrape the cab. (I know from experience, not wisdom.) Get an A/C. You are in Texas. Also, get a blue tooth radio that will play your phone.

Get "country tires" which your dealer can help you with. Tell him your situation. If you mow when it is not totally dry and hard, you need traction.

A tiller is a good implement. Be sure to get gear driven (vs. belt). If you have to ration your buying, save this for later and use the tines on your box blade to "plow."

Keep us posted on what you did and how it works out for you.

Blessings and Merry Christmas.