Choosing the right tractor

/ Choosing the right tractor #31  
That is not much difference. I do like the lift capacity of the mx better.

Note that the rear tread width on the MX is 8" wider than rear tread width on the L4701.

"rear axle width third"
Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped or uneven ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, adjustable on the current MX series, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. A 6" to 10" increase in rear axle width substantially decreases tractor rollover potential, particularly important in Loader work. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

Small tractor wheels drop into holes, disrupting traction. Larger wheels and tires supplied on heavier tractors bridge holes and ruts, increasing traction. Larger wheels and tires permit higher operating speed over uneven ground by reducing implement bounce and operator perturbation.

Last edited:
   / Choosing the right tractor #32  
I could not justify the added cost of a JD or Kubota when I purchased my tractor. I have twenty acres and most of my work is firewood processing, snow blowing, food plots and driveway maintenance. I saved a least $8k getting the LS and had a tractor with more features and higher lift capacity. LS was not on my list when I started shopping but it percolated to the top in short order.

I have had it almost three years and have 220 hours on it. BTW, that is something to factor in. On small acreage, it is not easy to rack up the hours. Buying a "quality" machine that will go over 8000 hours is not too important. Even if you put on 150 hours a year, a "lesser" machine will last over 30 years.

One last consideration. I got the LS because they produce the same model for New Holland. Down the road, spare parts should be easy to get.

I did not look at Koti or TYM because there were no dealers withn a reasonable distance, but in your case, they are worth investigating.

/ Choosing the right tractor #34  
There is no MX5000. Did you mean MX6000?

Pretty sure the specs are off, even for an MX5400.

My spreadsheet from my purchase decision show the MX5400 at 125.2in long, 69.7in wide, and 3734lbs bare weight.

The 4701 specs listed above align with what I have.

/ Choosing the right tractor #35  
Pretty sure the specs are off, even for an MX5400.

My spreadsheet from my purchase decision show the MX5400 at 125.2in long, 69.7in wide, and 3734lbs bare weight.

The 4701 specs listed above align with what I have.
I’m looking at my MX brochure. You are correct; the specs quoted are incorrect. But still there isn’t a great deal of size increase over the L4701. Additionally, there is no difference in tractor specs between the MX5400 and 6000, just engine hp.

/ Choosing the right tractor #36  
I’m looking at my MX brochure. You are correct; the specs quoted are incorrect. But still there isn’t a great deal of size increase over the L4701

For me, that extra 7" in width was a factor in me picking the L4701.

Would most folks stick with 72" implements with the MX (bush hog, land plane/box blade), or consider stepping up to 84"?

/ Choosing the right tractor #37  
I have 25 acres in East Texas. I am looking for a new tractor. I have about 5 acres to mow. Sometimes in the spring it rains a lot and by the time the field dries the grass gets 2-3 feet tall. My zero turn mower is getting beat up pretty bad.
I have mostly woods but I tried to put trails in but a 4 wheeler , chainsaw and weed eater just isn't cutting it and I can't keep them from getting overgrown.
I also had my plantation pine thinned and I need a lot of clean up. I have a mixture of pine and hardwoods. I have some huge oaks down but can't get to them with what I have now. Got about 300 yards of driveway that needs some work. I have a pond that needs cleaned up around the edges and cleaned out when it gets low. Plus some general dirt work and such.
I am looking for an all around workhorse in around the 50hp range still nimble enough to navigate in the woods.
The 3 tractors I'm seriously considering to aquire in about 2 months are the massey ferguson 2850e, kioti dk45se, or the kubota l4701. I'm looking to get a grapple / 3rd function, a mid range rotary cutter, boxblade, and if I can swing it a tiller. Looking to make a long term investment. To get it paid off before I retire in 6 years or sow.
My credit is not great but should have a large down payment almost half.
Any suggestions on what I should be looking at.
My standard answer is: 1. Try all the ones you think you like
2. research the crap out of the ones you e narrowed it down to, 3. make sure your up front with the salesman about what you’re intended purposes are and 4. Make sure the dealership is one you think you can do business with, because they all break at some point. The JD dealership and kubota dealership couldn’t be bothered by my presence or return emails or any type of correspondence but the Mahindra dealership did. That variable goes a long way with me, regardless of color. Don’t rush it because the journey is worth a lot of attention. Good luck!

/ Choosing the right tractor #38  
F
For me, that extra 7" in width was a factor in me picking the L4701.

Would most folks stick with 72" implements with the MX (bush hog, land plane/box blade), or consider stepping up to 84"?
For my MX6000, I chose a 72” rotary cutter, but a 8’ rear blade.

/ Choosing the right tractor #39  
I have 25 acres in East Texas. I am looking for a new tractor. I have about 5 acres to mow. Sometimes in the spring it rains a lot and by the time the field dries the grass gets 2-3 feet tall. My zero turn mower is getting beat up pretty bad.
I have mostly woods but I tried to put trails in but a 4 wheeler , chainsaw and weed eater just isn't cutting it and I can't keep them from getting overgrown.
I also had my plantation pine thinned and I need a lot of clean up. I have a mixture of pine and hardwoods. I have some huge oaks down but can't get to them with what I have now. Got about 300 yards of driveway that needs some work. I have a pond that needs cleaned up around the edges and cleaned out when it gets low. Plus some general dirt work and such.
I am looking for an all around workhorse in around the 50hp range still nimble enough to navigate in the woods.
The 3 tractors I'm seriously considering to aquire in about 2 months are the massey ferguson 2850e, kioti dk45se, or the kubota l4701. I'm looking to get a grapple / 3rd function, a mid range rotary cutter, boxblade, and if I can swing it a tiller. Looking to make a long term investment. To get it paid off before I retire in 6 years or sow.
My credit is not great but should have a large down payment almost half.
Any suggestions on what I should be looking at.
Welcome! Where abouts in East Texas? Our family farm is outside Eustace Off of 175.

First, forget about the pond with a tractor…about the only thing you can do is a flail mower to keep the edges mowed down. You arent dredging anything with a tractor.

We are neighbors…so I will ask about a cab. Think heat, dust, yellow jackets/hornets. Cab is really nice in TX but not necessary.

Second, trail building can be tough in a tractor. They dont maneuver well in the woods (long, wide turn radius compared to a skid steer, etc). You can do it, but I dont think it is efficient.

Tractors are not made for clearing land (pushing trees over, digging stumps, etc). They can do it, but not a great choice. The great thing about a tractor is it is versatile. If you have the time, you can get most anything done with the correct implements.

L4701 if you are still no cab, MX5400 with or without cab is also a consideration. My main concern with a bit larger machine is that trail building. However the dimensions of a L or MX isnt huge…but it may be significant to you. I cant speak for other brands, but same concepts apply for similar dimension/feature machines.

Can I ask what dealers you have been considering?

Last edited:
   / Choosing the right tractor #40  
Thank you for all your post so far. I like the MX 5400. That's a great choice. The two things is size and price of the mx. How much more price is it over a l4701? Is the mx gonna be nimble enough in the woods for cutting trails and logging and with all the implements I need with it will it be out of my price range?
On the Kubota Build My Tractor calculator, the MX is only $2600 more than the L4701. That is figured with a FEL. The MX is very nimble. For the $2600, if it is a Long-Term purchase, it is a no-brainer. Get the MX. I really am happy I spent the extra $2600.