Bolt on blade for buckets

/ Bolt on blade for buckets #1  

ponytug

Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
I know a number of you have added teeth to your buckets. I would like to build on that experience.

After bending my 4N1 bucket floor back dragging for the umpteenth time, and straightening it, again, I am wondering if anyone has added a bolt on blade to the back of the 4N1 bucket, or even just a bolt on blade to the front. I want to strengthen the bucket and bucket floor. Anyone? Brand? Width? Things to watch out for?

It looks like there are a couple of Bobcat and clone skid steer blades that would fit mine. E.g.
Skid Steer Bucket Bolt On Cutting Edge
(No particular order, though quite a few folks resell the Paumco blades)

With my hard clay soil, back dragging with the bucket partially open so the back of the bucket floor is cutting into the soil really well for me, but bends the rear cutting blade and the floor whenever I hit a hard patch. Going forward tends to stall the tractor abruptly, as the blade digs in on the hard patches, whereas back dragging tends to rip the offending patch up and out of the way. As an alternative, I have thought about bolting teeth or a tooth bar to the vertical blade.

All the best,

Peter

/ Bolt on blade for buckets #2  
I know a number of you have added teeth to your buckets. I would like to build on that experience.

After bending my 4N1 bucket floor back dragging for the umpteenth time, and straightening it, again, I am wondering if anyone has added a bolt on blade to the back of the 4N1 bucket, or even just a bolt on blade to the front. I want to strengthen the bucket and bucket floor. Anyone? Brand? Width? Things to watch out for?

It looks like there are a couple of Bobcat and clone skid steer blades that would fit mine. E.g.
Skid Steer Bucket Bolt On Cutting Edge
(No particular order, though quite a few folks resell the Paumco blades)

With my hard clay soil, back dragging with the bucket partially open so the back of the bucket floor is cutting into the soil really well for me, but bends the rear cutting blade and the floor whenever I hit a hard patch. Going forward tends to stall the tractor abruptly, as the blade digs in on the hard patches, whereas back dragging tends to rip the offending patch up and out of the way. As an alternative, I have thought about bolting teeth or a tooth bar to the vertical blade.

All the best,

Peter
Sounds like you need a box blade. That is a large span with a thin cross section, if you make it strong enough to not bend, it will become too thick for some uses. You need something to break it up with.

/ Bolt on blade for buckets #3  
So my bucket teeth are welded onto a bar that bolts into the bucket. I am can get you pictures, but that bar that the teeth are welded to ads a lot of support to the lip of the bucket.

/ Bolt on blade for buckets
So my bucket teeth are welded onto a bar that bolts into the bucket. I am can get you pictures, but that bar that the teeth are welded to ads a lot of support to the lip of the bucket.
Pictures are always helpful. Could it be bolted inside the bucket, I.e. inside the back, or on the "dozer" blade vertically?

All the best,

Peter

/ Bolt on blade for buckets #5  
I have seen a lot of 4 in 1 buckets that have a hollow floor. It may be hard to describe, but I will give it a try. The bucket has a flat bottom, the top front meets the front cutting edge but then climbs up about (say) 1" to the peak at 2/3rds of the way back, then declines the last 1/3rd to meet the rear cutting edge. This makes the floor like a truss, more strength for relatively light weight.

/ Bolt on blade for buckets #6  
Sounds like the hollow floor is something that could be retrofitted to a 4in1 if a person could come up with a piece of steel and had a slight bend put into it with a press brake prior to welding in place.

Or might be about as easy to make it out of two pieces as that would allow access for welding a piece of angle iron in under the raised edge prior to welding in the second piece. The angle iron would add a degree of stiffness also.

The orientation of the angle iron piece would be important for max stiffness against backblading.

/ Bolt on blade for buckets #7  
Bolt on cutting edges are made for wear not stiffness. bolt on cutting edges with teeth are made to penetrate not stiffness.. it would be nice to see a pic. of what you are talking about. Either it is a poor design or you aren't using it correctly...... Jim

• Good Post
Reactions: Lnk
   / Bolt on blade for buckets #8  
I have found the Ratchet Rake to be useful when I need it for things like loosening up ground, removing grass/weeds, or pulling back gravel from the lawn. It does not stiffen the edge but it does take the abuse.

/ Bolt on blade for buckets #9  
This shows a Landpride 4in1 with it's reinforced edge on the front member of the "clamshell". Doesn't look like it would be difficult to retrofit with a cutting edge and a piece of flat iron or simply an "inverted v" piece of angle iron for reinforcement.

Attachments

• LAND PRIDE CB0550-6.jpg
    LAND PRIDE CB0550-6.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 195
   / Bolt on blade for buckets #10  
If back dragging with the bottom open and using the rear edge sure is going to get bent for sure.... Jim