Combating Spam

/ Combating Spam
They (spam posts for CBD oil and vitamins) are showing up after 10 pm in my time zone (mountain time), so people in the central and eastern time zones may be asleep or done with this site by that time. They are reported and usually gone by morning (in my time zone).
Just like the new one now...

/ Combating Spam #44  
A few years ago, a New Member (from Wisconsin, I believe) got upset with me for calling him "Mate" as he thought that I was referring to him as "Buddy" or was being condescending whereas I was being friendly and welcoming.
I have no problem with being called "Mate" as I know that's how you guys talk down under but I do have a problem with someone calling me buddy. It is condescending and disrespectful and I have been known to correct people out in the real world that have played their hand with me like that.

Last edited:
   / Combating Spam #45  
I have no problem with being called "Mate" as I know that's how you guys talk down under but I do have a problem with someone calling me buddy. It is condescending and disrespectful and I have been known to correct people out in the real world that have played their hand with me like that.
:) Then you'll like the 'greeting' that I always use when I 'welcome to TBN' a fellow Aussie:
it's "Cobber". Which is a colloquial form of 'Mate', and which is still used here in Tasmania.

I never use it here with any other nationality in case it's misconstrued.

(Oh, and I sometimes use BIG WORDS. 😀)

/ Combating Spam #47  
I try to remember this is text. Tone says a lot. Buddy is not inherently rude, it is all how you say it. "Hey, buddy, how you doin' " is different than "listen here, buddy."

The easiest thing is to just assume positive intent. Life is too short to get wound up assuming the other person is trying to be offensive. On a public forum, of they are genuinely being rude it does more to hurt their reputation than your feelings.

/ Combating Spam #48  
I try to remember this is text. Tone says a lot. Buddy is not inherently rude, it is all how you say it. "Hey, buddy, how you doin' " is different than "listen here, buddy."

The easiest thing is to just assume positive intent. Life is too short to get wound up assuming the other person is trying to be offensive. On a public forum, of they are genuinely being rude it does more to hurt their reputation than your feelings.
Great points! Next you guys will be analyzing the way that some women call everybody "Honey." I always want to reply "What did I do to you to deserve that?"

/ Combating Spam #49  
Just ONE report is necessary!
Couple years ago, one of the mods explained multiple reports required multiple deletions. That makes more work for the mods.

/ Combating Spam #50  
It has definitely been worse the last few weeks...
Not really...every now and then, TBN gets hit with a number of spam posts.
As one poster wrote, probably a bot...