Starlink

/ Starlink #2,252  
Starlink just published an official availability map. I don't have any background beyond the map itself, but looking at the map around my area and putting in a few random addresses it seems like they may be opening availability significantly. Just speculating on that though.

/ Starlink #2,253  
My Gen 2 router is in the basement until I can get a longer cable and the ethernet adapter. I get fine speeds (50-200) in the basement adjacent to the router but on the main floor upstairs my speeds are rarely more than 20 down. There is a lot of metal ducting and floor that is compromising the wireless signal from the router to devices on the main floor. I anticipated this.

My current mesh router is upstairs in a central location closet along my my DSL router. When I ordered SL I ran Cat6 cable from the upstairs closet to the basement location of the SL router (~40-50 feet). At the time my thought was that if I could not get the SL router upstairs then I could connect it to the Mesh router via the Cat6 Cable and that would cover my main floor and most of the basement.

Explaining this to a recent visiting friend they expressed some skepticism about my assumption of minimal wireless signal loss by connecting the SL router downstairs to the upstairs mesh router using the Cat6 cable. I can't imagine this would happen. Am I wrong?

/ Starlink #2,254  
My Gen 2 router is in the basement until I can get a longer cable and the ethernet adapter. I get fine speeds (50-200) in the basement adjacent to the router but on the main floor upstairs my speeds are rarely more than 20 down. There is a lot of metal ducting and floor that is compromising the wireless signal from the router to devices on the main floor. I anticipated this.

My current mesh router is upstairs in a central location closet along my my DSL router. When I ordered SL I ran Cat6 cable from the upstairs closet to the basement location of the SL router (~40-50 feet). At the time my thought was that if I could not get the SL router upstairs then I could connect it to the Mesh router via the Cat6 Cable and that would cover my main floor and most of the basement.

Explaining this to a recent visiting friend they expressed some skepticism about my assumption of minimal wireless signal loss by connecting the SL router downstairs to the upstairs mesh router using the Cat6 cable. I can't imagine this would happen. Am I wrong?
If I understand what your trying to do something like this should work without waiting on the ethernet adapter. It's what I did after giving up as the shipping date kept getting pushed back. Just capture the wireless signal from your SL router with the wireless receiver then output the cat6 from it to your mesh router.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0118SPFCK?psc=1&smid=A2JTFL4V8HYESG&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

638587-2b15761356fc072d08509db8daa7a291.jpg

/ Starlink #2,255  

they are 2 separate signals, there is no loss over the wire. you are doing it the correct way. you will probably want to disable the SL wireless when you get your adapter.

/ Starlink #2,256  
Thanks. The ethernet adapter is supposed to ship this week otherwise the wireless to ethernet adapter would be on my list.

Good reminder about the SL app option to disable the SL router. Another person I know with Sl forgot to do this and was perplexed why they were having issues when they connected Sl to their mesh.

/ Starlink #2,257  
I don't have a mesh system, I do have my netgear router plugged into the starlink adapter.
I have not disabled the starlink wfi it seems to co-exist nicely with the netgear wfi.
This way the starlink app on my phone can go to the Starlink wfi, the firestick TV and
my wifes phone and kindle are on the Starlink usually. My Arlo cameras and printers are on my Netgear wfi
so I keep my computer on it also.

/ Starlink #2,258  
   / Starlink #2,259  

This is interesting. I have my Gen2 router on the first floor and was able to add all 28 of my connected devices without a problem. They are located on all three floors of the house, including the basement. The farthest is 80' away in a detached garage and I'm getting 100+ mbps down.

I guess every installation is different though with many possible obstacles to WiFi signals.

I have the longer cable and ethernet adapter on order but based on my experience so far, I may not need them.

/ Starlink #2,260  
I don't have a mesh system, I do have my netgear router plugged into the starlink adapter.
I have not disabled the starlink wfi it seems to co-exist nicely with the netgear wfi.
This way the starlink app on my phone can go to the Starlink wfi, the firestick TV and
my wifes phone and kindle are on the Starlink usually. My Arlo cameras and printers are on my Netgear wfi
so I keep my computer on it also.
You are correct. Having both Wifi's turned on will not interfere with anything. And as you pointed out as long as the devices you want to talk to are on the same network you will be fine. WiFi 6 can cause some headaches with printers and computers talking to each other wireless other than that you are good to go. Sometimes I will have to allow both bands 2.4 and 5g to be seen on customers gateways because some older devices cant negotiate WiFi 6 very well. Some Baby Monitors and a few other devices cant negotiate the WiFi 6 has been my experience. Some older computers have issues with it also. I have a lot of customers install mesh systems behind our gateways and leave both WiFi's turned on without issue. We use VLAN Tagging for security.purposes and most home owners don't know or don't want to mess with configuring it to bypass our gateways so just plug into one of the LAN ports with their mesh and it works fine. They are Gig ports so all is good.