Starlink

/ Starlink #2,271  
   / Starlink #2,272  
   / Starlink #2,273  
Up until now, I've been happy with my Verizon 4G LTE home internet plan with it's 50 down & 8 up speeds. So far, my Starlink equipment has been running for two days and is only yielding 51 down & 10 up. I was thinking of returning it for the full 30 day refund they offered in their recent email and keeping the 4G LTE.

Today however, I noticed my 4G LTE speeds dropped to 8 down and 5 up. the speeds do vary but never this low and they have remained constant at this level for the last 24 hours. I checked my router statistics and I reached 150 GB of downloaded data yesterday for the month and I still have a week to go in the billing cycle. It appears Verizon is throttling their speeds. They claim unlimited data in their ads but make no mention of throttling.

Has anyone else with Verizon 4G LTE noticed this?

More importantly, has anyone with Starlink noticed any throttling?

***** UPDATE *****

I just started a new billing cycle on my Verizon 4G LTE home internet and my speeds are now back up in the 51/8 territory. Although Verizon denies they throttle their service, it's either a huge coincidence or they are throttling mine.

I managed to tweak my Starlink installation and I'm now getting an average of 200+ down and 10+ up. I've seen it as high as 300/20 and as low as 100/3 on some occasions. I have no local obstructions and only one service interruption lasting more than a minute in the 10 days the system has been operational.

I made the following improvements to increase the Starlink speeds:

- Relocated the dish just a few feet higher on the roof.
- relocated the router to a higher, more centralized location.
- replaced a couple of older computer ethernet adapters.

I also found a huge difference in the speed test results using different apps. I frequently use this one online from Measurement Labs:

It 's results are consistently lower than the Ookla and Starlink apps I also use. A lot depends on the server location used by the app so real world comparisons are difficult.

I still haven't made a final decision as to whether to keep Starlink. The higher speed are nice to have and I do see some improvement in day to day usage but I don't yet know if it's worth an additional $60/mo. A lot will depend on my next Verizon billing cycle to see if they throttle me again.

/ Starlink #2,274  
of course they are going to throttle you again, why would you assume they won't? try fast.com, but speed tests are a joke for the most part, just because your fast to them, doesn't mean you will to the next server, but I digress

/ Starlink #2,275  
of course they are going to throttle you again, why would you assume they won't? try fast.com, but speed tests are a joke for the most part, just because your fast to them, doesn't mean you will to the next server, but I digress
I'm hoping my complaint call might make a difference but as you say, it likely won't.

/ Starlink #2,276  
Since internet providers are no longer required to provide equal access (i.e. same bandwidth to all traffic), there is some speculation that they are prioritizing traffic from speed test sites to make themselves look good. I've not seen any proof or even significant research into this, but I can easily understand why they might do that.

/ Starlink #2,277  
Since internet providers are no longer required to provide equal access (i.e. same bandwidth to all traffic), there is some speculation that they are prioritizing traffic from speed test sites to make themselves look good. I've not seen any proof or even significant research into this, but I can easily understand why they might do that.
there is no speculation, they absolutely do it. go google speed to netflix or youtube, one being on vpn, and one being off. the test are repeatable. my own router has the ability to adjust speeds based on websites...

/ Starlink #2,278  
Verizon most certainly throttles. They had me capped at 50 GB and once I went over that, web pages would not load but the YouTube app would work if I forced it to play in 360p with occasional buffering lags.

/ Starlink #2,279  
Ditto on the Verizon throttles. When I was on their plans the throughput was so slow, it was unusable.

I could tell what day it would happen just by watching my data usage.

/ Starlink #2,280  
***** UPDATE *****

I just started a new billing cycle on my Verizon 4G LTE home internet and my speeds are now back up in the 51/8 territory. Although Verizon denies they throttle their service, it's either a huge coincidence or they are throttling mine.

I managed to tweak my Starlink installation and I'm now getting an average of 200+ down and 10+ up. I've seen it as high as 300/20 and as low as 100/3 on some occasions. I have no local obstructions and only one service interruption lasting more than a minute in the 10 days the system has been operational.

I made the following improvements to increase the Starlink speeds:

- Relocated the dish just a few feet higher on the roof.
- relocated the router to a higher, more centralized location.
- replaced a couple of older computer ethernet adapters.

I also found a huge difference in the speed test results using different apps. I frequently use this one online from Measurement Labs:

It 's results are consistently lower than the Ookla and Starlink apps I also use. A lot depends on the server location used by the app so real world comparisons are difficult.

I still haven't made a final decision as to whether to keep Starlink. The higher speed are nice to have and I do see some improvement in day to day usage but I don't yet know if it's worth an additional $60/mo. A lot will depend on my next Verizon billing cycle to see if they throttle me again.
Glad its working out if it ever doesn't lol I would be glad to take over your account and dish, We are still in the holding pattern of mid 2022, not sure when that will get pushed back.....