Starlink

/ Starlink #2,241  
For Verizon to throttle you down depends on your connection type. I have the LTE Home Internet gateway and have never been throttled down. I consistently get 30-50 Mbps and I use a lot of data working from home on VPN. Same with my neighbor, who also works from home, and he does VPN and is on video conferencing all day.

Here is what the website shows.

View attachment 738953

They will throttle down a mobile hotspot.

View attachment 738954
Thanks for posting.

I guess it must be a coincidence that my speeds dropped to less than 10/6 around the time I reached 150GB. It's been that way for 48 hours now.

/ Starlink #2,242  
Up until now, I've been happy with my Verizon 4G LTE home internet plan with it's 50 down & 8 up speeds. So far, my Starlink equipment has been running for two days and is only yielding 51 down & 10 up. I was thinking of returning it for the full 30 day refund they offered in their recent email and keeping the 4G LTE.

Today however, I noticed my 4G LTE speeds dropped to 8 down and 5 up. the speeds do vary but never this low and they have remained constant at this level for the last 24 hours. I checked my router statistics and I reached 150 GB of downloaded data yesterday for the month and I still have a week to go in the billing cycle. It appears Verizon is throttling their speeds. They claim unlimited data in their ads but make no mention of throttling.

Has anyone else with Verizon 4G LTE noticed this?

More importantly, has anyone with Starlink noticed any throttling?

You will have to read your Verizon plan. I am not sure what our plan says, the wifey handles all of the cell phone contracts, but I know we are limited to 150GB per month. We never exceeded 150BG with Verizon, but we did a few times with UbiFi, so we watched our usage to not exceed that amount. My assumption was if we hit 150GB, they would lower access speeds and/or we would have to go buy some more data.

Our Verizon/UbiFi Internet speeds are all over the place and I did a bunch of speed tests before we bought the MoFi and after connecting. My suspicion is that the variance in speed was due to other people using the tower at the same time.

Starlink has not throttled at all. We did have a slow down this week but I think it was due to the bad weather we were having, or at least that is my best guess. It is the first time we had a problem loading a page, and it lasted all of a couple of seconds. :D We have had far more, far lengthier outages with DSL and cell internet.

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #2,246  
It is cat and mouse in Ukraine at the moment. The Ukrainians have significant expertise in cybersecurity, and active defense against Russian techniques, having had to learn from their experiences during the Russian Crimea annexation. So far, the Ukrainians seem to be effectively shutting down most of the Russian encrypted communication systems forcing the Russians into easily intercepted open radio transmissions and have been using spoofed cell towers to intercept Russian mobile calls. Seven Russian generals KIA in less than a month is not an accident.

The Ukrainians have significant expertise in software and electronics, despite being a small country. It is one of the national areas of excellence.

Based on the tear downs of Starlink gear, more than a little attention to system security was engineered into the devices early in the design process. (But that's just personal belief.)

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,248  
   / Starlink #2,249