Stump grinder

/ Stump grinder #41  
I have ground at least 60 stumps over the last 10 years and always put the chips in the hole. It’s hard to impossible to tell where the stumps were. It’s not a golf course, use clover and a pasture grass mix and it will turn green. BTW: I used a rental for half and had the other half done by a pro at day rates. The pro is the better option unless your time has no value. With a tracked remote controlled grinder they can do an amazing amount in one day. BTW: load up the chips with nitrogen fertilizer the first year, then do the grass.

Thanks BillG, good advice.

/ Stump grinder #42  
Have any others experienced a rythmic clatter sound when operating the 1p24? I'm not sure what's causing the clatter? It doesn't do it all the time for me, just sometimes?? From the videos I've seen I haven't heard that clatter and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong?

/ Stump grinder #43  
The only time I hear anything like that is when I have a vine or root wrapped around the flywheel shaft, and it whips the housing with each revolution. Other than that, there is not much sound from the grinder itself.

/ Stump grinder #44  
Have any others experienced a rythmic clatter sound when operating the 1p24? I'm not sure what's causing the clatter? It doesn't do it all the time for me, just sometimes?? From the videos I've seen I haven't heard that clatter and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong?
This is an example of what I'm talking about.
1P24 clatter noise

/ Stump grinder #45  
You'll get the best results cutting with saw as close to ground as possible and then grinding. No digging. Also better results if you let the stump rot for a year first.

I kill all my stumps with 43% glyphosate when I cut the tree and a year later it's a breeze to grind.
I like to stack a bucket or two of rotten wood chips on top of the stump to "seed" the rot fungus into the stump for that year or two. It makes the grind so much quicker when I do get around to it

/ Stump grinder #46  
That video chatter may be caused by the 3 point needing some bushings to seat the chipper more firmly.....It also seems that the rpm should be increased to 540 where things can smooth out.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Stump grinder #47  
You didn't state which grinder you're using. Sounds like Bauma. If using Bauma on cat 1 tractor an extension kit is required (moves grinder away from pto approximately 6 inches) otherwise shaft can't work properly. Too long when up too short when down. It mentions the kit on their website. I bought mine before the extension kit appeared on their site. I had to replace the 3 lobe shafts.☹☹

Only required if the distance from the locking groove on your PTO shaft to the center line of 3PT arms is less than 20". If it's greater than 20" it's not required.

I have no issues using the 1P24 on my tractor without the extension kit. Has full motion up/down, tilt in/out with the hydro top link.

/ Stump grinder #49  
I like to stack a bucket or two of rotten wood chips on top of the stump to "seed" the rot fungus into the stump for that year or two. It makes the grind so much quicker when I do get around to it

I too use our fungus friends to inoculate fresh stumps. Leaf litter and rotted wood help hold a moist environment.

/ Stump grinder #50  
Only required if the distance from the locking groove on your PTO shaft to the center line of 3PT arms is less than 20". If it's greater than 20" it's not required.

I have no issues using the 1P24 on my tractor without the extension kit. Has full motion up/down, tilt in/out with the hydro top link.