Stump grinder

/ Stump grinder #51  
You have a good point. I should have posted the dimensions as you did. But it sounds like original post indicates he will need the extension kit as I did.

/ Stump grinder #52  
I dug out, by hand, one of my large - 36" on the butt - Ponderosa pines. First and last one. Then I realized - you guys are grinding stumps in your yard or in areas where you want to mow.

Not the case here. I have NO trees in my yard and all the stumps are out - hither & yawn - on my 80 acres. I burned one. Big mistake. Fire burned two of the major lateral roots. Out about 20 feet from the stump - little "smokies". Took me a while to feel good about all that fire being out.

The stumps will eventually rot out. With the help of all the "forest creatures" who dig around and under the stumps.

/ Stump grinder #53  
You have a good point. I should have posted the dimensions as you did. But it sounds like original post indicates he will need the extension kit as I did.

Oh not disagreeing with you. He very well may. I just posted the additional information to make sure others that did not need the extension did not buy it.

/ Stump grinder #54  
I dug out, by hand, one of my large - 36" on the butt - Ponderosa pines. First and last one. Then I realized - you guys are grinding stumps in your yard or in areas where you want to mow.

Not the case here. I have NO trees in my yard and all the stumps are out - hither & yawn - on my 80 acres. I burned one. Big mistake. Fire burned two of the major lateral roots. Out about 20 feet from the stump - little "smokies". Took me a while to feel good about all that fire being out.

The stumps will eventually rot out. With the help of all the "forest creatures" who dig around and under the stumps.

Yup. Only mowed area stumps get time wasted grinding them. Anything in the woods just gets cut flush to the ground and called good enough.

/ Stump grinder #55  
Here's the first stump I ground the day I picked up my Woods grinder about 10 years ago:

I have probably ground close to 500 stumps with it now and it still goes strong. I was being real gentle on it on that first stump. Today I could probably have done that stump in 2 minutes or less.

/ Stump grinder #56  
I bought a Baumalight 1P24 last year from shopgreendealer.com (use discount code TTWT) It has been great. I have ground cedar stumps from 5-20" and live oak from 10-24 inches. It does a wonderful job on them. I have 100's of stumps to grind and I'm slowly working my way in taking them out. Its nice to have it here on the ranch so when I get time, I just go out and grind.

I live in very rocky country, there is less than 2" of topsoil anywhere on my property. Its just all caliche and limestone here. I was concerned about tooth wear/breaking, but the limestone is soft enough the grinder has no issues with it.

The only negative I have found with this setup is your neck will get sore from turning around to grind!!!
where do you enter the code?

/ Stump grinder #58  
The wife was down below again, marking stumps. She bought another 100 flags and used them all up! Must be 200 stumps, mostly small ones, that we have to remove to be able to bush hog without keeping jamming them.

Looking at buy vs. rental. Best buy seems to be the WM 24" one that goes on the PTO for $2,400. Experience with this one? First shipment not until near end of the year.

Can buy a pull behind one for about $1,700 but would have to pull to near the stump, unhitch and then muscle the thing around to the stump and then muscle it back and forth, etc. to cut the stump. Don't think I can do it.

Can rent a big one (think it's a Vermeer SC30TX) for about $1,100 for a week. Guessing it would take a week of constant running for the 2 to 4 hours/day that I'd be able to work it. Experience with this one?

Gotta clear out a lot of tree parts and chip up some stuff first to get it all out of the way. So, year end start is about right. First, gotta get my tractor back from JD shop.

Ralph
Guy down in Texas makes one. Carbide blade saw type. Cuts off below ground level. Uses pto to turn it and slides back with hydraulics cylinder. Nice outfit.

/ Stump grinder #59  
I'd rent a stump grinder for the weekend and keep the hours and wear and tear off my tractor. Small stumps go pretty quick and most people get the hang of it pretty quickly.

/ Stump grinder #60  
I have a 75hp tractor inbound with a reversible seat (so pto is in the front)
I'm looking for a stump grinder but I am worried about having to much horsepower for these consumer level grinders
Does anyone have advice or suggestions on what I should get? I don't think I have enough stumps for a commercial level product, but I want to own my own grinder instead of renting.