Diesel Fuel Rationing?

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #41  
Where did I support any of those "alternative" economic schemes? Never. That you mention them and extol "capitalism" tells me your opinions are base more on ingrained Political views than other considerations, especially when you enumerated your "talking points".

1 - That may true to some degree, but, around here at least, there are only pennies differences between stations. I don't know the retailers arrangements, but I bet the refiners are not affected by that, AT ALL. Unnecessary Trip. Sure, some will, some won't. Not enough people today can afford to buy new cars or even used at today's prices, so as to gain that advantage. Same applies to "alternative fuel vehicles". Regardless, NONE of that pressures that Oil companies to lower prices TODAY.

2 - Really? It is not just frozen food makers, but the Beef, chicken and Fish products are ALL at record highs. Why? Because they CAN and can blame it on "those politicians" and "inflation". THAT's called collusion, or "one plan to rule them all"?

3 - "MY Hero's?" How do you think these laws get made? Why to you think Medicare and Medicaid cannot negotiate prices? Lobbyists. Drug CORPORATION Lobbyists. Same for the LAWS preventing buying meds from overseas. Yes, it IS the Corporations fault as they spend Miliions each year on their Lobbying efforts and it is NOT to protect the consumer.

Not shutting out facts? That's debatable.

Expect no further response from me on this topic.
1. Do you have to buy a new car to get better fuel mileage? Theres thousands of high economy used vehicles out there. I see used cars getting 40-50 MPG that are 10-20-30 years old. lol

2. I’d bet food prices are up not because of “collusion”, but the tripling of diesel fuel and fertilizer costs. This dramatically increased prices to farm, transport, refrigerate & warehouse food.

3. Nope, it’s policies that bend to the pressure of lobbyists. Its also protection to American corporations from foreign competition. If you cant buy drugs outside the US, it’s because of a policy or a law

Last edited:
   / Diesel Fuel Rationing? #42  
It is odd to see prices of fuel vary by 60 cents or more a gallon here in the SF Bay Area.

The discount station is morning to night cars jockeying around the 3 pump islands.

The Shell three blocks away at the interstate is 60 cents more per gallon!

It's the same all over and isn't all fuel sourced at a handful of refineries?

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #43  
It is odd to see prices of fuel vary by 60 cents or more a gallon here in the SF Bay Area.

The discount station is morning to night cars jockeying around the 3 pump islands.

The Shell three blocks away at the interstate is 60 cents more per gallon!

It's the same all over and isn't all fuel sourced at a handful of refineries?

It’s also possible for many people to cross state lines to lower fuel tax states.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #46  
Many years ago, I was introduced to the idea that the "fuel" availability was a function of demand, and the yield from the fractioning towers that separate the differing petroleum products.

In the fractioning, there can be modifications that push the yield bias one way or the other, but as a rule, a barrel of crude was going to produce X % of "gasoline", and Y % of Kerosene, and Z % of diesel/ home heating. etc.

The aviation industry was the driving market to produce Kerosene, With both Diesel and gasoline as a short in supply by product.
If the demand for flying dropped off, less Jet A consumed (Kerosene) then the refinery tweaked the towers to produce more gasoline and fuel oil. A pretty stabile market. But with production exceeding demand for nearly all products, prices went down. In NO case was there a huge disparity between production of "highway fuel oil and gasoline. Fuel oil being priced according to energy content. More energy in fuel oil than there is in gasoline.

What has changed?

Synthetic fuels technology where "anything can be produced from raw stock"?
Market manipulation? Production manipulation? It certainly can NOT be supply, for only two years ago, the USofA had energy (petroleum) independence. Supply doesn't just fall off when the market is booming.

Manipulation.... Follow the money!

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #47  
And look what happened to Enron. Toast.
Can you prove this is happening right now? I’m actually sure it could happen, but dont know it is happening.
Your cynical remark about “capitalism” is political in nature and belongs in another forum. Although it’s nowhere near perfect, I’ll take it with guardrails over any other system.
Actually several large oil companies have said at shareholder meetings that they were going to focus more on shareholder value and less on putting profits into new production. Shareholders lost their butts during the Covid 2020 oil price collapse and want to recoup losses.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #48  
Railroads get plenty of govy bucks, too
Yes they do, and if they make cross country freight shipments more efficient and remove some trucks from the Interstates it will be a worthwhile expenditure.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #49  
And look what happened to Enron. Toast.
Can you prove this is happening right now? I’m actually sure it could happen, but dont know it is happening.
Your cynical remark about “capitalism” is political in nature and belongs in another forum. Although it’s nowhere near perfect, I’ll take it with guardrails over any other system.
I'm pro-capitalist but I'm against scammers.

It's one thing to sit at the poker table with a group of people and we take our chances, it's another when a couple of players are able to stack their decks because they are in cahoots with the dealer.

You want proof of bad behaviour while it's happening? Sounds like the plot of a sci-fi film.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #50  
I'm pro-capitalist but I'm against scammers.

It's one thing to sit at the poker table with a group of people and we take our chances, it's another when a couple of players are able to stack their decks because they are in cahoots with the dealer.

You want proof of bad behaviour while it's happening? Sounds like the plot of a sci-fi film.
Hollywood has been anti-capitalist since WW II & anti-American values & traditions since Vietnam.