Diesel Fuel Rationing?

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #61  
Because we heavily subsidize trucking. It is less expensive. But it shouldn’t be.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #62  
I pay a weight fee for my van with two seats but the identical van with more seats pays zero weight fee.

Never made much sense to me.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #64  
I wonder how Buffet's huge RV holdings are doing? Berkshire Hathaway owns the majority of RV builders today. I bet not all that well.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #65  
I wonder how Buffet's huge RV holdings are doing? Berkshire Hathaway owns the majority of RV builders today. I bet not all that well.
I still see a lot of new looking RVs going down I-40 every day.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #66  
Gas lines and rationing are deffiiin our near future. Matter of fact, home heating oil companies are already limiting deliveries to people to 100 gallons unless its COD. .. The recession/depression will really take hold this winter when people's credit cards are maxed out and they have to pick between food, energy or paying their mortgage and car payment.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #67  
I was told when I attended the railroad freight conference that one loaded semi truck creates the same highway wear as 6000 passenger cars. This seems incredible, and I have no clue if it’s accurate, but that’s what was presented.
I saw a very similar study conducted by AAA back in their hay-day. The study determined the amount of road wear from a fully loaded 18-wheeled semi (80,000 pounds) to a passenger car, around 4,000 pounds. The study concluded that one semi causes the same road wear as 9,600 cars.

Like you, I don't remember the accuracy or who actually did the study, or what their agenda, if any, was. This was done back in the '70s if I recall correctly.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #68  
The veneer mill in Vermont tried rail service to get their long distance wood hauled, and lost a lot of money. When the train got overloaded they would unhook cars and leave it on a siding... picking it back up "later." Wood spoils, just like any other plant product.
Their wood buyers were driving around checking sidings, trying to find out where there wood was.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #69  
That is entirely your choice as none of that usage is mandatory. Maybe it's time to downsize and consolidate.
No not really. Its quite mandatory.
When one promises to cut & bale a set number of farms and contracts to mow large properties, it requires a large amount of fuel.
Unlike you, I am not older, retired and able to get up and do whatever I feel like on any given day. Maybe when old & retired, I can downsize or consolidate, but right now,
I’m more interested in upsizing, expanding and doing the opposite of what you suggest.

/ Diesel Fuel Rationing? #70  
I pay a weight fee for my van with two seats but the identical van with more seats pays zero weight fee.

Never made much sense to me.
What's a weight fee, and why does it apply to your van but not other, similar ones? Is yours registered as a commercial vehicle?