Starlink

/ Starlink #2,431  
I was able to hook up an Ethernet cable between the Unifi switch and a MacBook Pro via a USB/Ethernet dongle on the MBP.

There is no version of the StarLink app for the MBP that I could find, so I downloaded the Ookla Speedtest app on both the iPhone and MBP and used it instead. Speedtest lets you pick a server, so I used Zeta Broadband in Rancho Murieta, CA for all tests.

Here are the results.

iPhone -> Internet via Ookla Speedtest via Unifi WiFi Access Point
Down 46.4 Mbps, up 4.30 Mbps

iPhone -> Internet via Ookla Speedtest via StarLink Wifi
Down 192 Mbps, up 5.73 Mbps

MBP -> Internet via Ookla Speedtest via Ethernet
Down 73.8 Mbps, up 12.1 Mbps

MBP -> Internet Ookla Speedtest via Unifi WiFi Access Point
Down 59.4 Mbps, up 10.5 Mbps

MBP -> Internet Ookla Speedtest via StarLink WiFi
Down 107 Mbps, Up 7.24 Mbps

In all cases, accessing the internet through the StarLink modem WiFi is the fastest method.

Accessing the internet via Ethernet cable on the MBP is faster than using the Unifi WiFi, but it's way in the dust compared to the iPhone using StarLink Wifi.

A system report on the MBP reveals that the Ethernet is 10/100/1000, so I don't think that's the bottleneck.

The WiFi in the MBP is 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, so I don't think that's the problem, either.

The system report shows the MBP accessing the Unifi WiFi network via 802.11n on channel 48. According to this Intel link, one mode of operation could limit speed to 72.2 Mbps, but I'm beyond my depth trying to understand that information.

I'm using Unifi UAP-AC-Pro access points, which do support 802.11ac.

The same system report shows the MBP accessing the StarLink WiFi network via 802.11ac, which could help to explain the better performance of the StarLink WiFi network.

Did some poking around in the settings for the Unifi AP, and switched it from channel 48 to channel 165. Once re-provisioned, the system report showed the MBP accessing the WiFi 5.0 GHz band using 802.11ac. This was much later in the day, and speeds on both the iPhone and MBP using the Unifi Wifi were down quite a bit from earlier. Switching the MBP back to the StarLink WiFi, speeds were also down, but not by as much. Same deal with the iPhone. So the same basic trends noted above still applied, just at a proportionately lower range of speeds. Ah, the dangers of single point sampling.

Right about now it's Miller time, so if I get a chance tomorrow I'll run another set of tests and see if the results differ. But for now, the StarLink Wifi is still the speed champion by a wide margin.

/ Starlink #2,432  
@RedNeckGeek That's great progress. The UDM Pro should be running 1Gbit+ in base mode, and at least 400Mbit/s, even with deep packet inspection turned on, so you shouldn't be challenging it.

Is it possible you have a bad Ethernet device on your network that is blasting packets? It is rare, but it happens. Have a look at the usage charts on the UDM Pro and see if you are experiencing high bandwidth; if so, I would drill down to make sure that the bandwidth is legitimate, such as your NAS backing up your spouse's computer, or someone gaming downstairs.

Another thought: Is it possible that the cable between the UDM Pro and the Ethernet adapter is bad/subpar(not Cat6/Cat6A)/kinked? I have seen "good" cables get (badly) bent, and no longer function at full speed. I would also think about getting a bright flashlight and a magnifying glass and checking all four of the contacts (Ethernet adapter, both ends of the cable, and port 9 on the UDM Pro) for any gunk, pin misalignment, or bad height.

Enjoy that Miller!

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,433  
The 75' cable that came with the StarLink is too short to allow me to elevate the Dishy, so I've got an order in for a 150' one. I've never seen any complaints about obstructions in the OUTAGES log.
I ordered the 150' cable when I ordered my Starlink system 18 months ago. The kit arrived in March without the longer cable so I had to install it temporarily with the 75' cable. I just received the shipping notice for the 150' cable yesterday.

Hopefully, your wait won't be as long.

/ Starlink #2,434  
Well, yes and no. I'm sure they will redesign it for in-motion use to have a lower profile and possibly be able to hold position with gyroscopic stabilizers or something. But even absent that the current dish probably does OK. It's phased array antenna system has the ability to focus in on multiple satellites at once as they are moving. It has dozens of receptors so it can lock on pretty well. I'd suspect it would do better than you think.

But 100% agree that the current 'portability' offering is intended static use in multiple locations, not in-motion use.
Dishy may be able to handle the simple rolling motion of a boat but not necessarily a 180 degree wind / tide shift when at anchor.

I installed my dish is several locations and each time it was moved, it took several minutes to re-adjust. There is also a limited range of motion for the mechanism. It will not rotate a full 360 degrees.

/ Starlink #2,435  
I ordered the 150' cable when I ordered my Starlink system 18 months ago. The kit arrived in March without the longer cable so I had to install it temporarily with the 75' cable. I just received the shipping notice for the 150' cable yesterday.

Hopefully, your wait won't be as long.
That doesn't make sense. I'm not sure any orders were even accepted until early 2021. And until Oct/Nov of 2021 Starlink was shipping the first gen round dish with non-removable cable. It wasn't until the rectangular dish came out that the removable cable and 150' optional cable was offered. Plus, Starlink doesn't let you pre-order accessories before you actually place your dish order (a deposit is not an order).

/ Starlink #2,437  
How big is that antenna? Maybe mount multiple antennas aimed in various directions?
Not possible with Starlink. The Starlink system includes a phased array dish/antenna with proprietary connectors and needing specific control by the system controller. Starlink will come out with an in-motion setup at some point. They will probably utilize a partial dome phased array so that it can get a very broad view of the sky even while moving/rocking. Just my speculation based on what I know of the current system.

/ Starlink #2,438  
Not possible with Starlink. The Starlink system includes a phased array dish/antenna with proprietary connectors and needing specific control by the system controller. Starlink will come out with an in-motion setup at some point. They will probably utilize a partial dome phased array so that it can get a very broad view of the sky even while moving/rocking. Just my speculation based on what I know of the current system.
You can lookup the flat plate mobile design(s) that they have filed with the FCC for mobile use.
Then there is the antenna that popped up on the Starship;

Leaving aside the important wind and rain pressure forces on a mobile antenna, I suspect much of the tweaks are actually to the firmware for computing and tracking the satellites. With a home unit, one could assume fixed location, and mostly fixed orientation, with mobile, aviation and marine uses, the algorithms need to be able to converge to stable solutions at high velocities, and fast yaw and pitch rates. I suspect, but don't know that the latter two are the more problematic. When you think about how fast the angle to a satellite changes as degrees per second or radians per second (its velocity and your velocity), and then think about the angular speed of a hard right turn as angular velocity to the satellite, the latter is pretty high. (In degrees or radian per second) Rough seas on a small craft wouldn't be trivial.

I have zero inside knowledge, so this is all a WAG.

Fun to watch.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,439  
Got this today

If you are receiving this email, you are currently on the waitlist for Starlink in your area. We are launching additional satellites as quickly as we can to expand network capacity in your region, and will fulfill your order as soon as possible.

In the meantime, we are now offering Starlink for RVs at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage. Currently there is no waitlist - all orders will be shipped shortly after the order is placed, including to "Waitlist" areas on the Starlink Availability Map. You can pause and un-pause service at any time.

Users can expect high speed, low latency internet in areas marked "Available", and notably slower speeds during events with many collocated users, or during hours of peak usage in areas marked as "Waitlist”, where residential users are prioritized. Prioritizing residential makes it possible to offer Starlink for RVs immediately with minimal impact to the most loaded portions of the network.

You can order Starlink for RVs directly from www.starlink.com/rv or by selecting the "+" button under "Your Starlinks" on your account page. To learn more about Starlink for RVs, please read our FAQ page.

Thank you for being a supporter of Starlink!

The Starlink team

/ Starlink #2,440  
I got the same email. Sounds like those of us on the wait list are gonna get shafted.