Starlink

/ Starlink #2,451  
What happens if a zone, that is not available yet, is oversold with the rv systems. Then when the infrastructure is in place to open the zone will we get degraded performance because more systems are on it than it was designed for or are we forced to wait longer because of the rv sales.
Its getting very close to fraud or at least very misleading agreements.
I don't have the link handy, but the terms of service explicitly state that RV service users are de-prioritized compared to full service subscribers in the cell they are operating within. Very explicit info that says "RV use is a second-class citizen compared to full service". In short, if the infrastructure is being taxed it will give precedence to non-RV subscribers.

If you read the full terms of service for this it actually looks like it was well thought out and really does manage to allow more people access to the service in a flexible way while not negatively impacting existing subscribers.

It also gives the ability for non-RV users to acquire the service more quickly than their place on the waiting list as long as they are OK with potential service degradation compared to their cell peers that have full service.

Rob

/ Starlink #2,452  
Found a link to the info. If you look in this FB group (public group, you don't even have to have an account or log in to view, regardless of what the preview below indicates) you can see the post with the terms info screenshots.

/ Starlink #2,454  
But I imagine being a "second-class" citizen with Starlink would far exceed the 5Mb down 0.7Mb up frequently failing my current rural internet offers.
Definitely. Not saying it is bad, just pointing out that unlike the banter above, adding this type of service isn't some 'slap in the fact' to existing subscribers. Two different service levels for different needs. I think it's a great idea.

/ Starlink #2,455  
We just had a thunderstorm pass through South Georgia with a modest rain shower. I lost the StarLink signal during the 15 minutes of rain. This has happened 3-4 times that I’ve noticed since I received the Dish in February. I see on their cell coverage map I’m on the edge of the available service area. Has anyone else experienced similar outages?
964CDBF5-7564-4C2D-B909-CC9BC0729360.png

/ Starlink #2,456  
I too have had disruption during a couple major thunderstorms this spring. It is odd because I don't think I had any disruption from storms last summer/fall and nothing over winter. It's a bummer, but that's why we have a 2nd ISP as backup (both of us work from home full-time via Internet).

/ Starlink #2,457  
With the heavy rain we have been getting a few times a week over the last month, we have seen some disruption of Starlink's internet connectivity. Usually it is a matter of seconds but last night we had a 5ish minute outage. Normal rain has not caused a problem but we have had some very heavy downpours this month where we have lost the Internet. This used to happen when we lived in the city and had cable based internet. Best I could figure, was that at some point, the Internet was going from cable to a microwave transmitter and the heavy rain was blocking the signal.

We also will loose Internet on DSL when the lighting is in a certain direction. The DSL/phone building is in that direction, and I suspect the lines run from that building, to another network node in the same direction. My guess is that lightning is generation EMP on the lines that causes an interruption. Usually, it is only the VPN that drops but sometimes it is the connection.

/ Starlink #2,458  
Thanks for the replies. I recently put a small 500-VA UPS on my StarLink router in anticipation of summer thunderstorms. I’m looking to prevent the StarLink from cycling during momentary power outages.

I still have DSL as a backup but hope to cut out that $100 monthly expense soon.

/ Starlink #2,459  
We just had a thunderstorm pass through South Georgia with a modest rain shower. I lost the StarLink signal during the 15 minutes of rain. This has happened 3-4 times that I’ve noticed since I received the Dish in February. I see on their cell coverage map I’m on the edge of the available service area. Has anyone else experienced similar outages? View attachment 747476
Yes, unfortunately enough water (and dust) is going to obscure a signal.

Where are you get the information for your cell edge? I surveyed mine by hand, putting in Google plus codes trying to figure out where couldn't order (my cell) and where I could (the adjacent, population 7-ish), but no website "map" of the hexagons that I had seen ever got the boundaries right for my area.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,460  
Yes, unfortunately enough water (and dust) is going to obscure a signal.

Where are you get the information for your cell edge? I surveyed mine by hand, putting in Google plus codes trying to figure out where couldn't order (my cell) and where I could (the adjacent, population 7-ish), but no website "map" of the hexagons that I had seen ever got the boundaries right for my area.

All the best,

Peter
Perhaps not the most accurate coverage map but it’s all I’ve seen. The nearest active or available cell is probably 12 miles from me as the crow flies.