LS or Kubota

/ LS or Kubota #72  
If you are buying by a spec sheet, you will be disappointed sooner or later. Expectations have a big impact on your satisfaction as well. I bought another Kubota because I was super familiar with the "responsiveness" of things like the loader control from my previous Kubota. When comparing Kioti's, LS, Massey, etc, it was clear which ones immediately were removed from the list for this reason. If I didn't feel I had as much finesse control with the loader, something I use a lot, it was a no go because I knew it would annoy me forever. As mentioned before, if I can't lift and roll the bucket at the same time in a very control fashion, it's a no go. If you have no real comparison for these types of things it may not be as big of deal.

That being said, and as many have said, go drive them. Use all of the functions. I immediately ruled out the LS due to the location of the hydraulic levers for the 3pt and other rear valves. There were in my opinion inconvenient. You had to reach down and couldn't see what you were grabbing. On many other brands, they are up on the right panel and easily recognizable which is which.

It's also little things like on my Kubota the cylinder lines are ran inside the loader arms and not outside like most others. Protection plates were better placed in my opinion. These are all personal decisions on what is important, but it is clear to me that there is a reason the Kubota is more expensive. I am willing to pay the extra for what I think is important.

I always laugh at the it can lift more argument. Any of these with no ballast is going to raise the backend before it reaches the max load. If you need to lift more, you need a bigger tractor would be my argument.

Many are focused solely on cost and I can understand that. Many also probably don't care if things are a bit "rougher" in finish overall. Hell, if you just want to buy the cheapest tractor with the most function, go find a Belarus. My uncle bought one in the 80's and still uses it. It's rougher than hell and I hate it, but it runs and works.

/ LS or Kubota #74  
If you are buying by a spec sheet, you will be disappointed sooner or later. Expectations have a big impact on your satisfaction as well. I bought another Kubota because I was super familiar with the "responsiveness" of things like the loader control from my previous Kubota. When comparing Kioti's, LS, Massey, etc, it was clear which ones immediately were removed from the list for this reason. If I didn't feel I had as much finesse control with the loader, something I use a lot, it was a no go because I knew it would annoy me forever. As mentioned before, if I can't lift and roll the bucket at the same time in a very control fashion, it's a no go. If you have no real comparison for these types of things it may not be as big of deal.

That being said, and as many have said, go drive them. Use all of the functions. I immediately ruled out the LS due to the location of the hydraulic levers for the 3pt and other rear valves. There were in my opinion inconvenient. You had to reach down and couldn't see what you were grabbing. On many other brands, they are up on the right panel and easily recognizable which is which.

It's also little things like on my Kubota the cylinder lines are ran inside the loader arms and not outside like most others. Protection plates were better placed in my opinion. These are all personal decisions on what is important, but it is clear to me that there is a reason the Kubota is more expensive. I am willing to pay the extra for what I think is important.

I always laugh at the it can lift more argument. Any of these with no ballast is going to raise the backend before it reaches the max load. If you need to lift more, you need a bigger tractor would be my argument.

Many are focused solely on cost and I can understand that. Many also probably don't care if things are a bit "rougher" in finish overall. Hell, if you just want to buy the cheapest tractor with the most function, go find a Belarus. My uncle bought one in the 80's and still uses it. It's rougher than hell and I hate it, but it runs and works.

I have to laugh at these passive aggressive posts towards anything that is not Kubota
Let's break it down:

1) Specs are specs. An LS will lift 30-40% more than a similar sized Kubota. Period. Yes, you need proper ballast (an easy fix). That's the point. If you want to lift a certain amount, you don't have to buy the next bigger sized frame, as you suggest.

2) LS will lift/curl at the same time, same as a Kubota. When I operated both, I personally couldn't tell a difference in the "finesse". Perhaps each user is different? (i.e., blanket statements that imply one is superior/inferior are disingenuous).

3) The little things ... LS loader lines are run interior to the loader arms. 3pt and remote controls are right beside the loader. I'm not sure what you are referring to about needing to "reach down"? Maybe the LS model you looked at was the economy line (not an apples to apples comparison)?

4) Rougher finish. Please point to what, exactly, is a rougher finish? In crawling all over both Kubota and LS, I have found no noticeable differences. Some things might be slightly nicer on one, other things on the other. But, these type of derogatory, qualitative (not quantitative) statements are pointless, and do nothing other than reveal personal biases.

5) "Many are focused on cost." Yes, because as P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute." Perhaps you are just trying to justify overspending?

6) I will agree, as others have said as well, it IS crucially important to set on them and find out what you like, dislike, how the ergonomics are, etc. For example, I found the LS had a lower roof in the cab. If I was 6'4", that probably would have been a deal breaker. But, I'm nowhere near that tall, and the lower roof allows me to just fit it into my garage, which was a major bonus. Oh, and the total tractor height, which was very important to me, was on the spec sheet.

/ LS or Kubota #75  
Funny, I counted 14 Kubota problems in the first 2 most recent pages of the "parts and repair" forum.... Then there were a bunch of JD's, followed by MF.
Only one LS problem, that was a question about a battery.....

I'm not saying they are bad tractors, just that because they are a certain color or brand, they are not exempt from breakdowns. I expect to see more repairs on those brands because there have been more of them sold over the years.

There have been "nightmare stories" about every brand. There are many different uses, operators, maintenance, and other factors that play a major roll in the dependability of any tractor.

YOU need to sit on them, try them out (if possible), and get the features that are important to you. Price, attachments needed, and desired use will be important for YOUR situation .
If a high percentage of tractors out there are Kubotas, of course there are going to be more problems with them. They also have been around longer, and some of the tractors you refer to are older than the LS brand. That wouldn’t scare me toward or away from either brand.
As somebody else mentioned, LS is the new kid on the block, and is trying to get market share. Ten years from now I dont believe that you will be see the price difference which you do now. I wouldn’t buy an LS for one reason; I knew the local dealer when he operated a transmission repair service. When he shakes your hand, you’d better make darned sure you get all of your fingers back. A friend’s son also bought a tractor from him when they were green and called Montana... I’ve never heard of being charged for warranty work when the front axle sheared off.
Dealer issues have nothing to do with the tractor though.

edit; your bias is showing. I just counted 10 Kubota problems in the first 80 posts. The most common threads seemed to be about Fords... how long has it been since that name changed to New Holland?

Last edited:
   / LS or Kubota #76  
   / LS or Kubota #77  
I have to laugh at these passive aggressive posts towards anything that is not Kubota
Let's break it down:

1) Specs are specs. An LS will lift 30-40% more than a similar sized Kubota. Period. Yes, you need proper ballast (an easy fix). That's the point. If you want to lift a certain amount, you don't have to buy the next bigger sized frame, as you suggest.

2) LS will lift/curl at the same time, same as a Kubota. When I operated both, I personally couldn't tell a difference in the "finesse". Perhaps each user is different? (i.e., blanket statements that imply one is superior/inferior are disingenuous).

3) The little things ... LS loader lines are run interior to the loader arms. 3pt and remote controls are right beside the loader. I'm not sure what you are referring to about needing to "reach down"? Maybe the LS model you looked at was the economy line (not an apples to apples comparison)?

4) Rougher finish. Please point to what, exactly, is a rougher finish? In crawling all over both Kubota and LS, I have found no noticeable differences. Some things might be slightly nicer on one, other things on the other. But, these type of derogatory, qualitative (not quantitative) statements are pointless, and do nothing other than reveal personal biases.

5) "Many are focused on cost." Yes, because as P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute." Perhaps you are just trying to justify overspending?

6) I will agree, as others have said as well, it IS crucially important to set on them and find out what you like, dislike, how the ergonomics are, etc. For example, I found the LS had a lower roof in the cab. If I was 6'4", that probably would have been a deal breaker. But, I'm nowhere near that tall, and the lower roof allows me to just fit it into my garage, which was a major bonus. Oh, and the total tractor height, which was very important to me, was on the spec sheet.
I looked at an MT573 I believe. Think it is one of their premium models.

I don't think I am being disingenuous at all. These are simply my opinions based on my personal experience and considerations. We all have opinions. I don't care what he buys or spends his money on, just giving my thoughts on it which is what he asked. I didn't say the LS was a bad tractor, simply a couple of the reasons I didn't choose it.

I also didn't state why I chose the Kubota which was also more reasons than listed. You have an LS and like it, good for you. I have a Kubota and like it, good for me.

He will choose what he thinks fits him best, good for him. Pretty simple.

/ LS or Kubota #78  
I looked at an MT573 I believe. Think it is one of their premium models.

I don't think I am being disingenuous at all. These are simply my opinions based on my personal experience and considerations. We all have opinions. I don't care what he buys or spends his money on, just giving my thoughts on it which is what he asked. I didn't say the LS was a bad tractor, simply a couple of the reasons I didn't choose it.

I also didn't state why I chose the Kubota which was also more reasons than listed. You have an LS and like it, good for you. I have a Kubota and like it, good for me.

He will choose what he thinks fits him best, good for him. Pretty simple.
What is disingenuous is when you state your opinion, while slandering every other brand that isn't what you have. It's especially problematic when those "opinions" are expressed using factually incorrect information, like lever placement and hose routing on the LS.

While that may have been the case for an MT573, that's not what the OP is looking at. So, to use that as a comparison point is, disingenuous.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but I get annoyed by the Kubota fan boys that continually bad mouth every other brand.

As you said, buy what works for you. Hopefully the OP will. But my concern is that often times, new posters just simply get bad, and factually incorrect advice from posters. That doesn't help anyone.

/ LS or Kubota #79  
What is disingenuous is when you state your opinion, while slandering every other brand that isn't what you have. It's especially problematic when those "opinions" are expressed using factually incorrect information, like lever placement and hose routing on the LS.

While that may have been the case for an MT573, that's not what the OP is looking at. So, to use that as a comparison point is, disingenuous.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but I get annoyed by the Kubota fan boys that continually bad mouth every other brand.

As you said, buy what works for you. Hopefully the OP will. But my concern is that often times, new posters just simply get bad, and factually incorrect advice from posters. That doesn't help anyone.
I bought a Kubota because the only full service dealers within 30 miles are Kubota and JD. The is a LS dealer 250 miles away, but they are more of a feed store that happens to sell tractors.

/ LS or Kubota #80  

I didn't slander anyone. Yes, maybe the one I looked at wasn't exactly like the one he may be looking at, but the general points that many have made remain the same. Go sit on them, drive them, use the functions, and decide for yourself what is most important. We are simply pointing out things we decided were important to us.

As much as us Kubota fan boys are apparently bad mouthing every other brand, the other brand guys sure seem to get butthurt quick when others point out something they don't like about that brand.