Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose?

/ Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose? #11  
I don't live very close to a store that builds hoses, so going there, waiting to have it built, then driving home, will eat up several hours of my day. On a weekend, when I have to be close to the hose shop during the week, I would also want to do a quick fix to keep on working and deal with the hose during the week.

In this case, remove the hose, cap it, and keep on being productive!!!!

/ Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose? #12  
Cap it at the tractor or remove busted hose and make a loop with other hose back to the tractor if possible.

Been there, the gotta keep moving thing... I kept moving right to town with hose in tow to have a replacement made, I have found that to be the best way.... But then there is days like holidays and such NOTHING/NO BODY is open.

But over the years of everything, I now have an assortment of hyd. Stuffs on hand and generally can limp by...

/ Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose? #13  
One other comment to the OP - if you have additional identical hoses, and you end up getting a new hose for the one that split open, you may want to replace the other ones in the same trip. Can just hang on to them until you need them (which you never will now that you have a new one standing by), or replace them now and keep the old hoses (that were not leaking) as spares

/ Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose?
Thanks for all the replies – The main reason I asked was I was hoping there was some quick fix I could do, since I’m using it at some forest land we have 2hrs from home (where the hydro supply shop and tractor supply are close). Up here for the weekend, and wasn’t expecting anything around here to be open, and did need to keep working..

After sleeping on it and then reading y'alls advice I think I’ll just pull the hose (and a few others) and get new ones & spares. I checked my limited parts in my truck and I don’t have the plugs I thought I had. While I could loop the in/out lines together (bypassing the remote ports), it seems like an odd setup so I didn’t really want to go hacking something I didn’t really understand. Plus, I have a skidsteer and chainsaws with me and there is a lot I can do with that today and tomorrow. All things considered, though I need to keep working, skidding the stems can wait a few days.

Some of you raised some real good questions – like why it is pressurized with the 3PH operation and if it is a standard rear remote. I’ll tell you what I know and maybe we can figure it out.

More detail about when it burst:
- Once it burst and sprayed, the 3PH with about 2000-lb on quickly lowered – it didn’t crash down, but it did go down quickly. I quickly (~1sec) pushed the 3PH lever to the down position and the spray stopped immediately. Being in the cab I had no idea where the fountain of oil came from.
- After shutting off the tractor and finding the (likely) source I restarted the tractor and from beside the tractor very gently moved the 3PH control to up until it tried to raise (and fluid spurted out). By “tried to raise” I mean it just budged. But I didn’t want to apply more pressure since the little flow I was giving it was already running out that burst remote hose.

Q: Why is it pressurized with the 3PH?

Great question. I don’t know. Both lines come out on the front part of the cast iron housing of main gear case (correct me if that’s not what it’s called) that the 3PH linkages come out of. There is no separate directional control for these lines that I can see. I’m guessing the prior owner had put on there to run a 3PH implement. But that’s just guessing – why set up something that only kicked on when upward pressure was on the 3PH? I’ll try to get a pic of the source of the lines shortly.

Q: Is it a standard rear remote?

• Also a good question, but I don’t know this either. It doesn’t look like it to me. The dealer (T&J Equipment in South Hill) didn’t know what it was for when I was getting details before buying. It does look broken, so unless I have a good use for it, I’ll consider just capping it off at the source. From what I can tell, the flow is only one way – pressurizing only when the 3ph lifts. Any theories?
  • There is another set of remote ports you can see on the right upper side of the 3PH. The two lines coming out supply the FEL control valve. Not sure what the two empty ports are for, but I may use them for a grapple on the FEL. I think a more protected routing of the FEL lines is in order, especially since this tractor is for woods work.

Last edited:
   / Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose? #15  
Best answer may be to get a manual for tractor (if available) and see if it describes where the hoses are connected and to what purpose.....

The hoses in question may be part of, or "teed" into PB circuit that powers 3PH and it really does not take loss of much fluid to drop any pressure in circuit...

Last edited:
   / Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose?
Here are a few pics showing where those hydro lines come out of. I was wrong about the supply location - it's not on the gear case - It's on the front of the 3PH unit that is bolted to the top of the gear case. Most of the pics show the same thing, just from different angles. Just wanted to make sure it was visible!

Any Ford 7710 owners out there? Is a common setup?
Aux Lines 0.jpgAux Lines 1.jpgAux Lines 2.jpg

Attachments

• Aux Lines 5.jpg
    Aux Lines 5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
   / Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose? #17  
The hoses in question are not for a remote valve. The reason they are under pressure is they are connected to the load monitor system this tractor is equipped with. It will be involved with the three point. I believe you can remove the hoses and cap the fittings without issue. After all, the couplers serve as caps when nothing is plugged into them, right?

I thought I saw in one of the photos the line in question has a J.I.C. fitting. Caps and plugs for those and other style fittings are readily available at places that make hoses and other places as well.

/ Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose? #18  
It looks to me like the leaking hose is crimped to the steel line. After a visit to Messick's and viewing the parts diagrams, it is indeed the load monitoring system as Harry in Ky pointed out. I couldn't tell in the parts diagram but I believe the steel line is attached with a banjo bolt, so not so easily plugged.

/ Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose? #19  
Easier than you think. Remove the cab floor plate and the lines are in plain view. I think the lines are J.I.C. on both ends.

/ Quick Fix for a Broken Hydraulic Hose? #20  
i understood.....it's just that sometimes the best move is to take the time to get it fixed properly. Plus....I could not answer his questions regarding rerouting other hoses, etc. for the quick fix.
Well said. If you are like me you will realize you need to fix something when you need it the most. A few others pointed out hoses are relatively easy to purchase or have made.