Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #201  
Hey all.

New to the Mahindra line as I just got a 5155 last week. Looking to upgrade my rotary cutter next to keep 25 acres of pasture under control. I know the old rule of thumb is 5HP per 1 foot at the PTO would mean about a 9' cutter on the 5155. Just wondering what size rotary cutter you all are using with your 5155. Also 3pt or pull behind?

Thanks.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #202  
Hey all.

New to the Mahindra line as I just got a 5155 last week. Looking to upgrade my rotary cutter next to keep 25 acres of pasture under control. I know the old rule of thumb is 5HP per 1 foot at the PTO would mean about a 9' cutter on the 5155. Just wondering what size rotary cutter you all are using with your 5155. Also 3pt or pull behind?

Thanks.
you need to look at the cutter manuf. recommendations, depending on duty some go up to 12' on 40 pto hp.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #203  
Woods and several others have 12 ft batwings that can be run on 40 pto hp , I have a 7ft woods that cuts great but it really sticks out behind the tractor being a single spindle,

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #204  
so sad day, I broke my tractor. The dealer is picking it up saturday. something broke in the front driveline. I will follow up after the dealer inspects it.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
so sad day, I broke my tractor. The dealer is picking it up saturday. something broke in the front driveline. I will follow up after the dealer inspects it.
Well that sucks. What were you doing when it broke? What were the symptoms?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #206  
Well that sucks. What were you doing when it broke? What were the symptoms?
operating on soil, grapel engaged with tree at hood height or lower, pushing straight forward with 4wd engaged, tires were free to spin. no inertial loading involved but I may have imparted lifting force with the FEL (adding loading on front axel). In low range 2nd or 3rd gear 1700 rpm. the tree about a 6" dia. was being bent forward when i heard a loud rapid clacking (like gear teeth breaking lose). i clutched and backed off immediately when i heard the noise.
I took the tractor to the shed and called my dealer who ask me to use the FEL to lift the front tires. with the tires off the ground and 4wd engaged (engine off) if i turn one wheel sometimes the other side wheel will spin and then the other side stops spinning while i hear a soft clicking coming from the area of the front diff.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
operating on soil, grapel engaged with tree at hood height or lower, pushing straight forward with 4wd engaged, tires were free to spin. no inertial loading involved but I may have imparted lifting force with the FEL (adding loading on front axel). In low range 2nd or 3rd gear 1700 rpm. the tree about a 6" dia. was being bent forward when i heard a loud rapid clacking (like gear teeth breaking lose). i clutched and backed off immediately when i heard the noise.
I took the tractor to the shed and called my dealer who ask me to use the FEL to lift the front tires. with the tires off the ground and 4wd engaged (engine off) if i turn one wheel sometimes the other side wheel will spin and then the other side stops spinning while i hear a soft clicking coming from the area of the front diff.
Well that totally sucks. Keep us informed about what the dealership finds out and what the solution is. Hopefully it’s some one off failure and not a design weakness. One thing I do know is that they’ve been using that front axle on 4WD models in India for several years so it’s not new, only new in the US. I realize that’s little comfort to you right now. But hang in there and I’m sure they’ll make it right.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #208  
I believe (and could be wrong) that you can overload and break things on a CUT, because it's not "industrial" or "AG" quality.
That being said, I appreciate Da Bear for being straight forward.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #209  
Well that totally sucks. Keep us informed about what the dealership finds out and what the solution is. Hopefully it’s some one off failure and not a design weakness. One thing I do know is that they’ve been using that front axle on 4WD models in India for several years so it’s not new, only new in the US. I realize that’s little comfort to you right now. But hang in there and I’m sure they’ll make it right.
it sucks but if it is a defect i would rather find out at 20 hrs while still under warranty than at 5 years 1 month. yes my understanding also is that the major components on the 5100 series are all assemblies that Mahindra has been using for years and they combined them into the 5100 series. funny thing is that the first payment has not cleared the bank lol

on the other hand if this is a design defect i definitely want to know now.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #210  
I believe (and could be wrong) that you can overload and break things on a CUT, because it's not "industrial" or "AG" quality.
That being said, I appreciate Da Bear for being straight forward.
yes i agree with that statement, but I do not think that I was abusing the tractor and this should not have happened. if anyone can point out an issue with what i was doing please let me know as i would be interested is learning not to do that in the future.

also one reason for me buying the 5145 was that it is supposed to be just short of "industrial" quality. from the point of weight and outward appearance it is a tuffer tractor than my old ford 2000 and that thing has 6999 hours on the meter before the meter stopped working.

Last edited: