30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog?

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #1  

Jakea

Tractor
Kubota B2650
I have a B2910 it has 30HP and 22HP at the PTO, I also have a B2650 that has 26HP and 19.5 HP at the PTO

Would it be fair to say that a 60" bush hog would run equally on both tractors? One tractor has more engine HP so how would that relate to the PTO or would it since there is only 2HP difference between the two.

I'm looking to get rid of the B2910, i have not tried the bush hog on the B2650 as it is my lawn mower and would be a pain to take off the mower deck any time i wanted to bush hog.

I have to run the B2910 with the front end loader on or else the front end is to light. The B2650 would be the same way so that extra weight might affect the smaller 26HP.

The B2910 needs a few repairs so i am trying to decide if i should repair it and just keep both tractors for the convenience factor or trade both in on a newer 33HP B series but then i would have to remove the mower deck any time i wanted to bush hog so that would be a pain.

Both tractors are paid for.

I mow the yard weekly with the front end loader off my yard is 3 acres and what i bush hog is 13 acres twice a year and is mostly flat.

I definitely need a tractor to remove snow, bush hog, road maintenance as my road is a 1 mile long almost. :)

What would you guys do?

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #3  
I have a B2910 it has 30HP and 22HP at the PTO, I also have a B2650 that has 26HP and 19.5 HP at the PTO

Would it be fair to say that a 60" bush hog would run equally on both tractors? One tractor has more engine HP so how would that relate to the PTO or would it since there is only 2HP difference between the two.

I'm looking to get rid of the B2910, i have not tried the bush hog on the B2650 as it is my lawn mower and would be a pain to take off the mower deck any time i wanted to bush hog.

I have to run the B2910 with the front end loader on or else the front end is to light. The B2650 would be the same way so that extra weight might affect the smaller 26HP.

The B2910 needs a few repairs so i am trying to decide if i should repair it and just keep both tractors for the convenience factor or trade both in on a newer 33HP B series but then i would have to remove the mower deck any time i wanted to bush hog so that would be a pain.

I mow the yard weekly with the front end loader off my yard is 3 acres and what i bush hog is 13 acres twice a year and is mostly flat.

I definitely need a tractor to remove snow, bush hog, road maintenance as my road is a 1 mile long almost. :)

What would you guys do?
I'd get rid of them both and get something sized for your acreage.

Reduce the 'lawn' to 1 acre or less.

If you are attached to Kubota, I'd go up to at least the L3560LE with a cab.

I've got just under 20 acres and my target is about 45-48 HP. No snow, so no cab, though.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog?
I'd get rid of them both and get something sized for your acreage.

Reduce the 'lawn' to 1 acre or less.

If you are attached to Kubota, I'd go up to at least the L3560LE with a cab.

I've got just under 20 acres and my target is about 45-48 HP. No snow, so no cab, though.

I've always wanted a L4701 but i still need to mow my yard, i would still end up with two machines. It does not snow that often every few years we might get 2 feet the rest is only a few inches.

My first instinct was to trade both in on a larger tractor and buy a zero turn for the yard but you are talking some $$$ there as i like diesel.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #5  
No idea how much land the OP has. I have 80 acres, mile long gravel driveway and snow. I don't mow my fields. I do about a month worth of thinning & chipping to maintain my Ponderosa pine stands almost every spring.

Started in 1982 with a brand new Ford 1700 4WD. In 2009 - traded it in for a brand new Kubota M6040. All the smaller projects were completed - needed a larger tractor for the larger projects.

I mow my lawns with a JD X570 riding mower.

Both my tractors were/are open station. No need for a cab if I don't mow. Retired - so I plow snow only if absolutely necessary.

The size of tractor you purchase will be a factor in determining how long it takes to get the project/job completed. I think your first instinct is a great choice.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #6  
One factor not discussed fully has been time to do the tasks. Getting a z-turn dedicated to mowing will save the most time because it is a weekly task but this is only during mowing season. If the time required to mow with one of the tractors is not an issue then do you really want a z-turn? If you already have a 5 foot bush hog and either of your tractors will handle it (in light brush I think they will), is the expense to buy a wider bush hog and higher hp tractor worth the time savings which is only twice a year? You are probably like me, the issue is not the time required to do the actual tasks but the frustration and aggravation when you have changeovers for different equipment. This may be why some of the farmers I know have tractors dedicated to specific tasks. They seldom swap implements. Having 2 tractors with one dedicated to yard mowing and another for all other tasks seems good.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #7  

What would you guys do?
As always, sizing a cutter for power depends upon what you plan to mow, how close you plan to mow it, how often you plan to mow it, how fast you expect to travel while mowing, and terrain.

20 PTO HP is pushing things for a 60" cutter unless conditions are quite good.

Unless you are just clipping pasture, I expect you will not be traveling very fast with either tractor.

Conosider PTO HP only when sizing rotary cutters.

I sometimes use a 60" cutter with my B3350 (same power as LX3310). Sufficient power in most conditions but do need front weights. I never mow with FELs attached.

SDT

Last edited:
   / 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog?
The B2910 does start to over heat if i keep on using the bush hog if i stop the temp will slowly come back down is that a sign that the 60" bush hog is to much for it?

Another thought i had is i could not use a zero turn to mow out my drive way as it is by a fence at a angle. The B2650 handles it fine.

I have never drove a zero turn so i am not sure how it is faster if you can't go no faster than you could on your tractor since the yard is to ruff. I don't have hardly any trees.

Any way i am tempted to trade in on a used B3350 with a quick hitch as someone said removing the implements is a big pain. Only downside i see.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #9  
I'd go with a L4701HST. I had a chance to use one about 2 months ago with a KingKutter 72" double-v belt RFM, and I could go about 5-6 mph and watch videos on my cell phone without being jarred around too much on my property. Spent a good couple hours behind the wheel.

If your lawn is like mine, a zero turn would be useless because you can't go fast. Tried Ferris, Gravely, and BadBoy on my property and my BX2200 gave a better cut and ride. IMHO, nothing compared to the L4701HST though. Night and day.

When the timing is right, I'm going with a L4701HST with said attachment.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #10  
My tractor has very similar PTO hp as your B2650 (18.5hp). It handles a 5ft light duty cutter very well in light mowing conditions. In tall, thick grass (4-5 feet) I do have to reduce ground speed, but it still mows fine. I've been surprised at how much it will mow in the E540 gear (790rpm). Of course, my tractor is red so that may help a little!
An L3560 with cab sounds a little overkill.