30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog?

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #11  
The B2910 does start to over heat if i keep on using the bush hog if i stop the temp will slowly come back down is that a sign that the 60" bush hog is to much for it?

Another thought i had is i could not use a zero turn to mow out my drive way as it is by a fence at a angle. The B2650 handles it fine.

I have never drove a zero turn so i am not sure how it is faster if you can't go no faster than you could on your tractor since the yard is to ruff. I don't have hardly any trees.

Any way i am tempted to trade in on a used B3350 with a quick hitch as someone said removing the implements is a big pain. Only downside i see.
I have no issues removing/installing implements from/to my B3350 with the exception of my ballast box which I need to set onto a couple of 4x4s as the lift arms do not lower quite far enough otherwise.

I'm not a fan of quick hitches for multiple reasons.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #12  
The B2910 does start to over heat if i keep on using the bush hog if i stop the temp will slowly come back down is that a sign that the 60" bush hog is to much for it?

Another thought i had is i could not use a zero turn to mow out my drive way as it is by a fence at a angle. The B2650 handles it fine.

I have never drove a zero turn so i am not sure how it is faster if you can't go no faster than you could on your tractor since the yard is to ruff. I don't have hardly any trees.

Any way i am tempted to trade in on a used B3350 with a quick hitch as someone said removing the implements is a big pain. Only downside i see.

Over heating usually indicates that it isn't cooling properly, not that it is being overworked. Unless you are redlining it these things are made to work at a continuous PTO RPM without overheating, so something else is wrong. If possible make sure you are not shutting it completely off to cool down. lower the RPMs and clean off screens until it cools down and then if you need to really shut it down for a good cleaning with air compressor you can shut it off to blow things off after it is in the normal operating temp. range.

You may have partially plugged Radiator or the screen in front of radiator often gets plugged when bush hogging. I know depending on what I am hogging and how windy etc. I have to clean that every hour on one of my tractors especially.

I think you do need a larger tractor but I don't think you need that much larger tractor. Something in 35 - 40hp should be right for what you've described. You could pull a 6' cutter behind that size tractor. Depending on what your 13 acres is, you may be able to get away with a rear finish mower and keep your bushhog for other things as necessary.

Just curious, any reason why you are bush hogging 13 acres? Could you have a local farmer put a crop on that or plant it in Switchgrass for wildlife habitat and burn if off every couple of years?

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog?
Over heating usually indicates that it isn't cooling properly, not that it is being overworked. Unless you are redlining it these things are made to work at a continuous PTO RPM without overheating, so something else is wrong. If possible make sure you are not shutting it completely off to cool down. lower the RPMs and clean off screens until it cools down and then if you need to really shut it down for a good cleaning with air compressor you can shut it off to blow things off after it is in the normal operating temp. range.

You may have partially plugged Radiator or the screen in front of radiator often gets plugged when bush hogging. I know depending on what I am hogging and how windy etc. I have to clean that every hour on one of my tractors especially.

I think you do need a larger tractor but I don't think you need that much larger tractor. Something in 35 - 40hp should be right for what you've described. You could pull a 6' cutter behind that size tractor. Depending on what your 13 acres is, you may be able to get away with a rear finish mower and keep your bushhog for other things as necessary.

Just curious, any reason why you are bush hogging 13 acres? Could you have a local farmer put a crop on that or plant it in Switchgrass for wildlife habitat and burn if off every couple of years?

I keep the Radiator and screen clean, once i shut off the bush hog it cools off even with the tractor still on.

Hooking up a bush hog is not that bad it is the belly mower that is a pain to do by yourself they weigh a lot. 375 pounds i think.

That's why i like having two tractors leaving the implements attached you can just use it whenever a lot of times if the weather is cool i will just bush hog for 30min or so if i had to attach a implement i wouldn't bother.

I already have corn fields planted next to the 13 acres it is family land that they rent out...........sadly there are no more farmers in the family as they have all passed.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #14  
I keep the Radiator and screen clean, once i shut off the bush hog it cools off even with the tractor still on.

Hooking up a bush hog is not that bad it is the belly mower that is a pain to do by yourself they weigh a lot. 375 pounds i think.

That's why i like having two tractors leaving the implements attached you can just use it whenever a lot of times if the weather is cool i will just bush hog for 30min or so if i had to attach a implement i wouldn't bother.

I already have corn fields planted next to the 13 acres it is family land that they rent out...........sadly there are no more farmers in the family as they have all passed.
I can remove or install the MMM on either my B1750 or B3350 in about 20 minutes, though I do so only fall/spring.

I drive the tractor/mower onto a couple of thicknesses of 2X6/8 to raise tractor enough for easy removal/installation from right side.

Would not expect to do so without a smooth concrete floor.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #15  
3 minutes removal / re-installation. One minute storage. Anytime I need to.

Keep both machines. 1880 for dedicated mowing, 7800 for chores, projects, and acreage mowing. Overhead hoist is the ticket for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3552.JPG
    IMG_3552.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3554.JPG
    IMG_3554.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3540.JPG
    IMG_3540.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 88
  • P1170888.JPG
    P1170888.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
   / 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #16  
I have a B2910 it has 30HP and 22HP at the PTO, I also have a B2650 that has 26HP and 19.5 HP at the PTO

Would it be fair to say that a 60" bush hog would run equally on both tractors? One tractor has more engine HP so how would that relate to the PTO or would it since there is only 2HP difference between the two.

I'm looking to get rid of the B2910, i have not tried the bush hog on the B2650 as it is my lawn mower and would be a pain to take off the mower deck any time i wanted to bush hog.

I have to run the B2910 with the front end loader on or else the front end is to light. The B2650 would be the same way so that extra weight might affect the smaller 26HP.

The B2910 needs a few repairs so i am trying to decide if i should repair it and just keep both tractors for the convenience factor or trade both in on a newer 33HP B series but then i would have to remove the mower deck any time i wanted to bush hog so that would be a pain.

Both tractors are paid for.

I mow the yard weekly with the front end loader off my yard is 3 acres and what i bush hog is 13 acres twice a year and is mostly flat.

I definitely need a tractor to remove snow, bush hog, road maintenance as my road is a 1 mile long almost.

What would you guys do?

Horsepower is a measure of speed. Or rate.
In this case it will determine the maximum rate, measured in square footage mowed per minute, where we say the grass is “100%” tall.
So we have three variables:
1) width of mower, and if you’re taking a full “swipe”, determines square footage /min
2) Forward speed determines square footage/min
3) Grass height (or load). Tall grass will mow harder than short, brush easier than grass, blade sharpness, etc..

The variables you can control to lessen horsepower demand are your width (overlap percentage) and forward speed. Perhaps blade sharpness too if you’re mowing grass.

Also make sure tractor can physically handle weight of mower. Use front weights or loader. Some people fill loader with dirt.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #17  
Over heating usually indicates that it isn't cooling properly, not that it is being overworked. Unless you are redlining it these things are made to work at a continuous PTO RPM without overheating, so something else is wrong.
I've owned TWO compact tractors that would overheat when worked hard for longer periods of time, and I KNOW the radiators were clean and the tractors were maintained properly.

I'm totally convinced that compact tractors just won't take a steady diet of HARD work that nearly maxes them out for a longer period of time.

I put the same tool on a FARM tractor of the same HP and it did NOT overheat in the same field...

SR

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #18  
I've owned TWO compact tractors that would overheat when worked hard for longer periods of time, and I KNOW the radiators were clean and the tractors were maintained properly.

I'm totally convinced that compact tractors just won't take a steady diet of HARD work that nearly maxes them out for a longer period of time.

I put the same tool on a FARM tractor of the same HP and it did NOT overheat in the same field...

SR

Might be the type of tractor, I've bush hogged with my little Case (Shibaura) in grass that I had to max the throttle to keep it at RPMs and the only time it would get hot was when the grass was plugging the screen. Cleaned it off and it cooled right back down in a couple minutes at again full throttle. Same for the MF 1750M (Shibaura). Running a 8' cutter that could hardly keep the RPMs in tall grass. No over heating.

You can say it is a compact or sub-compact thing I can say that it isn't in my experience. Now you could possibly say it is the type of compact tractors that you owned, whatever they may have been.

I can tell you that if my tractor were overheating at normal and even heavy use, I wouldn't have it for long.

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog? #19  
I can tell you that if my tractor were overheating at normal and even heavy use, I wouldn't have it for long.
They were both Kubota's, and I soon sent them both down the road!

And that was the start of me calling them tinkertoy tractors!

I tend to buy farm tractors now; they are MUCH tougher and take constant work much better.

SR

/ 30HP vs 26HP 60" bush hog?
3 minutes removal / re-installation. One minute storage. Anytime I need to.

Keep both machines. 1880 for dedicated mowing, 7800 for chores, projects, and acreage mowing. Overhead hoist is the ticket for me.

HA sure if you have a nice level cement floor. Try it out in the yard.