how many GPM is needed

/ how many GPM is needed #21  
You make that sound so easy... just "simply" get a PTO pump...

First off, have you priced one? They aren't cheep! Secondly, what about everything you need to use it?? That's a whole other expense like tank, hoses, valves ect....plus everything else that goes with it to make it work.

There's nothing much simple about it at all...

SR
You make it sound as if there is a real world difference between 8.8gpm and 9.1gpm. so much so that it should be a key factor in picking a tractor brand.

If you need more flow.....get s bigger tractor....get a pto driven implement....or get a pto pump.

With so little difference in GPM among similar sized machines.....it's not even on my radar when comparing tractors.

And if you need 20gpm.....a 50hp tractor with a 20gpm PTO pump is alot cheaper than a 100hp tractor

/ how many GPM is needed #22  
You make it sound as if there is a real world difference between 8.8gpm and 9.1gpm. so much so that it should be a key factor in picking a tractor brand.

If you need more flow.....get s bigger tractor....get a pto driven implement....or get a pto pump.

With so little difference in GPM among similar sized machines.....it's not even on my radar when comparing tractors.

And if you need 20gpm.....a 50hp tractor with a 20gpm PTO pump is alot cheaper than a 100hp tractor
You picked those numbers, I didn't. But I can tell you, I have two tractors that the hydraulic flow is about a gallon apart and you can easily tell the difference a gallon makes in use, and I wouldn't want the lower one with a loader.

SR

/ how many GPM is needed #23  
You picked those numbers, I didn't. But I can tell you, I have two tractors that the hydraulic flow is about a gallon apart and you can easily tell the difference a gallon makes in use, and I wouldn't want the lower one with a loader.

SR
Plenty of real world examples.

The L2501 and L3301 Kubota share the same loader but about 1 GPM difference.

Raise 4.1s vs 3.5s
Dump 2.0s vs 1.7s

Sure it's slower....but not like there are people constantly complaining about the loader being slow on the 2501.

The 3560 and 4060 is another example. Same loader.....different pumps.

Sure if you use them side by side....I bet you can tell a difference. But this is all just out opinions. My opinion.....40-50hp tractor.....a slight difference in GPM is not gonna be noticed in day to day operations....and NOT one of my criteria when picking a brand of machine. Far more important things to focus on

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / how many GPM is needed #24  
Understood but I don't know what I might run in the next 10-20 yrs.
I saw gpm from 7.5 to 16. Just wondering if there was a rule of thumb. Thanks
What are you trying to accomplish right now that the 773 Bobcat can't accomplish or are you wanting to run the Bobcat's implements on the tractor?
Is the bobcat a standard hydraulic flow ( roughly 15 gpm ) or high flow ( roughly 25 gpm ) to the SSQA attachments?

/ how many GPM is needed #25  
How often do tractor owners run at max RPMs so they can get the most hydraulic flow?

/ how many GPM is needed #26  
The one hydraulic-taxing implement I hope to get someday is a FEL-mounted auger. The potential to better control of hole placement and the ability to apply downward pressure is applealing versus that of using a PTO mounted post hole digger.

Digga, Premier Attachments, Danuser, BellTec, etc. all have models that will spin with relatively low gpm hydraulics, but they obviously produce lower torque to the auger, thus slower/ weaker auger cutting performance. The numerous variables such as soil composition, hole size and duration to drill will determine whether such performance is acceptable to the user. Short of hands-on experiance, I won't know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

My Kioti dealer told me that of the 17.9 gpm from the RX6620, about 8 gpm go to the steering circuit, with the balance (9.9 gpm) available to the rest of the hydraulic system. I hope that flow rate can produce acceptable results.

/ how many GPM is needed #27  
I'm shopping 40-50 hp hobby farm tractor like Kubota, TYM, Mahindra, Kioti new and used. Trying to compare apples to apples I see hydraulic gpm varies a lot. What is a good number for this size? Some tractor have 2 pumps - 1 dedicated to steering, so what's a good number for that one too? Thanks for any help.

Good luck for anyone trying to compare apples to apples by using advertising data. The people mixing numbers to make those advertising data sheets are masters at making their product look the best - whether it is or not.

For an example of that, take a look at how loader specs are listed and compared. It's like looking behind the curtain and seeing the wizard.

But a couple of posters did mention something that will give you an idea of quality and hydraulics as well - and that is how well the loader will lift and curl simultaneously at low to medium RPMS. Is it very precise? Will it do it at all?
I've never seen that curl+lift ability made into a spec, but I can tell you that it is something you sure will appreciate in your tractor. I suspect it is expensive for a manufacturer to do. Some do it well, others not at all. And nobody except an experienced user is likely to notice it at the first.

rScotty

/ how many GPM is needed #28  
The one hydraulic-taxing implement I hope to get someday is a FEL-mounted auger. The potential to better control of hole placement and the ability to apply downward pressure is applealing versus that of using a PTO mounted post hole digger.

Digga, Premier Attachments, Danuser, BellTec, etc. all have models that will spin with relatively low gpm hydraulics, but they obviously produce lower torque to the auger, thus slower/ weaker auger cutting performance. The numerous variables such as soil composition, hole size and duration to drill will determine whether such performance is acceptable to the user. Short of hands-on experiance, I won't know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

My Kioti dealer told me that of the 17.9 gpm from the RX6620, about 8 gpm go to the steering circuit, with the balance (9.9 gpm) available to the rest of the hydraulic system. I hope that flow rate can produce acceptable results.

You should definitely get a hydraulic auger if you have a user for it. I bought a Land Pride SA20 ssqa auger to redo my fence last year, and it performed flawlessly.
First fence 20 years ago was brutal with a 3pt auger. I have a lot of rocks and chunks of concrete (demolished silos) and the pto auger would choke on just about every hole. Auger down, hit chunk of whatever, break it up with a digging bar, manual clamshell the debris out, continue with auger. The down pressure with the hydraulic auger brought everything up and out (almost) every time.

My tractor has slightly less hydraulic gpm's available at 9.4. The auger (low flow model) operates at 6-15 gpm according to Land Pride.
You are correct that there are a lot of variables, most of which will remain unknown until tried. (9.4 x 2600) / 1714 = 14.26 hp in my application, which was enough to only occasionally stall the auger. Reverse or raise, try again.
Blah, blah... Sorry for rambling. For me it was money will spent.

/ how many GPM is needed #30  
You should definitely get a hydraulic auger if you have a user for it. I bought a Land Pride SA20 ssqa auger to redo my fence last year, and it performed flawlessly.
First fence 20 years ago was brutal with a 3pt auger. I have a lot of rocks and chunks of concrete (demolished silos) and the pto auger would choke on just about every hole. Auger down, hit chunk of whatever, break it up with a digging bar, manual clamshell the debris out, continue with auger. The down pressure with the hydraulic auger brought everything up and out (almost) every time.

My tractor has slightly less hydraulic gpm's available at 9.4. The auger (low flow model) operates at 6-15 gpm according to Land Pride.
You are correct that there are a lot of variables, most of which will remain unknown until tried. (9.4 x 2600) / 1714 = 14.26 hp in my application, which was enough to only occasionally stall the auger. Reverse or raise, try again.
Blah, blah... Sorry for rambling. For me it was money will spent.

You've raised my hopes! 😀 And yes, our hydraulic specs are nearly identical.

Thank you for the reply.