Land of lake effect

/ Land of lake effect #21  

Attachments

• 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    737.2 KB · Views: 994
Not the greatest picture. This is looking down the road at the end of my driveway. It was roughly 20 inches of snow but hard to say, it drifted badly. On the right side of my picture it’s about 6 feet deep in the road. That’s about as bad as gets around here. It’s just a skiff of snow for some of you. Arly plays in this stuff for fun. This was about 10 years ago.

/ Land of lake effect #22  
Lake Effect is a really strange thing. For a number of years I lived essentially on Lake Michigan. We didn't get much snow. For some reason, it would skip over the shoreline itself and the heavy "lake effect" would start a mile or 15 miles from the lake. Now I live a few miles from the lake and have more snow to play with.

/ Land of lake effect #23  
All I'm hearing on the radio all day is this upcoming 6' in Buffalo. (tonight? )

/ Land of lake effect #28  
Lake Effect is a really strange thing. For a number of years I lived essentially on Lake Michigan. We didn't get much snow. For some reason, it would skip over the shoreline itself and the heavy "lake effect" would start a mile or 15 miles from the lake. Now I live a few miles from the lake and have more snow to play with.
That seems pretty common off lower Michigan; must be the updraft off the lake is continuing as the winds slam into the shore? It takes a certain length of "fetch" across the lake to get the snow machine going. Sometimes it stays above freezing on the shoreline too, with the strong onshore breezes keeping things closer to the lake's water temp. Lake effect rain is occasionally a thing, too.

Right now the air blowing up at 5000 ft is some 45-50 degrees colder than the lake surface temps! The recipe for 5 feet of snow in buffalo. Arly must be so jealous. :ROFLMAO:

/ Land of lake effect #29  
So whose in the Buffalo area and can drop some action pictures here a few times over the duration? :oops:

/ Land of lake effect #30  
Figured you might not be able to resist chiming in with some snark, lol.
First of all 230” is absolutely in the higher end of annual snow totals.
Second, buffalo has a low annual average because they do not get consistent, continuous lake-effect like you often do. But i dont recall houghton ever getting a 5 or 6 foot dump in a two day event. You dont have the long lake “fetch” or warmer water temps of lake erie. When cold air blows hard in just the right direction in November, Buffalo gets effect dumpage like you can only dream of (in reality, its a life threatening danger).
You also have to remember buffalo and alot of western NY will get lake effect until the lake freezes. Some years it dosnt and some it does. So the average snowfall of 80-90in may only happen in early and late winter. They may get nothing in jan/Feb.

I use to live in the area for a few years. It sucks, always gray, raining or snowing. One day I saw the sun, snow and thunder all at once.