My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,121  
I like those cabinet levelers ! I assume you have finished toe kick panels to install as well ?

Did you think about trimming out the windows before installing the cabinets ? Going to be a bit more of a headache now with the cabinets in the way. Nice work as usual from you guys !!!

The toe kicks that I bought with the cabinets are little more than a strip if veneer. But the will do, I suppose. As for the windows, the real struggle will come with the upper ones. I will work it out. The lower ones, we will use a piece of granite that matches the counter top.

#4,122  
Lamps that don’t have a ground. How does that work? I have been going thru all the lights that Jefanna bought. for the house. And I noticed a few of them have nothing for grounding. Metal housing wall sconce type lights with no grounding screw or grounding wire. How is this possible or safe. I could probably drive a screw i to the top of the metal mount/housing and ground it but I am just surprised. Am I wrong about this?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,123  
Pretty much every hard-wired light fixture (i.e. direct wired, not plug-in) I've seen and installed always had a ground wire. I'm surprised there are some that don't.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,124  
Is it possible there isn't any conductive metal in these fixtures so there really isn't a need for a ground (i.e. a wiring problem has nothing to electrify so there's no risk)?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,125  
I would look a bit more closely. These days that ground wire is often a braided feather-thin strand that can be wrapped around the power wires or sometimes even stuffed back inside the fixture. If you can't find anything, you can buy fixture ground wires that go under the typical lamp nipple nuts like this:

Or if they need to have a strap put on them like below to mount them to the box, those often have ground screws:

If your strap doesn't have them, you can either drill for your own (ground screws are often self tapping) or swap for a strap that has it already. Both options above are cheap, but annoying that you may have to do it.

And yes, you want to ground everything metal. Not sure how they could get away with that...or perhaps they did not get a UL sticker on them and hoped nobody would notice...

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,126  
Lamps that don’t have a ground. How does that work? I have been going thru all the lights that Jefanna bought. for the house. And I noticed a few of them have nothing for grounding. Metal housing wall sconce type lights with no grounding screw or grounding wire. How is this possible or safe. I could probably drive a screw i to the top of the metal mount/housing and ground it but I am just surprised. Am I wrong about this?
Are the sconces UL approved? They are supposed to be, but the inspector likely won’t be able to tell without looking very closely and/or removing the fixture or bulb to see the UL stamp. He/she is unlikely to do that, so you would probably get away with using some non UL approved fixtures. I’d either make sure what I installed was UL approved or if I wanted to take a chance with a non UL approved unit, make sure I installed some kind of ground wire on it. A sheet metal screw isn’t good enough, drill and tap it if you’re going to put in a screw. You’ll also need to use a green ground screw, the ones you use on metal boxes are 10-32, the ones you get with light fixture that screw into the fixture bridge are 8-32, the larger ones are easier to come by.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,128  
Nice to see how hard both of you work together. My wife refuses to drive my tractor, it's just not an option, and she has never, ever, EVER helped dig anything with a shovel!!!!! :)

Why did you go with pavers instead of pouring a concrete pad with a curb?

#4,129  
Nice to see how hard both of you work together. My wife refuses to drive my tractor, it's just not an option, and she has never, ever, EVER helped dig anything with a shovel!!!!! :)

Why did you go with pavers instead of pouring a concrete pad with a curb?

Easier and cheaper. Going to put some railroad ties on the uphill side to contain erosion.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,130  
I always prefer using a pipe wrench but i also have those slip joint pliers that have the curved jaws that work well on pipe.. I have found that straight jaw pliers only work good on fittings that have 'flats' on them.

I know it might be a pain but i would take those pavers up at the propane take and then put down a weed barrier fabric that would keep the weeds from coming thru, then put the pavers back down.