Buying Advice Looking to buy my first tractor

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #11  
"I’m looking more for smaller tractors that are still capable as I want to be able to get my tractor into my garage (6.5’ tall doors), and fit around lots of obstacles I have. I don’t plan to mow with it, but would like a mid PTO so I could in the future if things change."

Oops, I didn't see that, Not sure what you can get that is that short.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #12  
You're looking at too small of a machine. You need to be in the Kioti CK, Kubota L, or JD 3025e category at a minimum.

Skip the stump bucket and rent a grinder for a weekend or two.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #13  
personally i think the Kubota BX23S would do the jobs that you expect (mine impresses me), and if needed the ROPS could be folded down to get into the garage ... I think I clear at 81 inches (6' 9") with the ROPS up, including sun canopy. The grapple is my favourite implement, and the box blade is great (landscaping). I've never looked into the stump grinder stuff though. You may not need the backhoe at all, but it's amazing how often it gets used. On smaller properties it's great.

I don't recall all of the model numbers for the the other tractors that I considered, but similar sized Kioti (my second option), John Deere (my third option), McCormick, Massey Ferguson, and New Holland were all on my radar. The Dealership relationship, and the Location of dealership were other factors.

All the best, happy tractor hunting

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #14  

This guy isn't really knowledgeable about tractors but he is accurate. If you look at yanmar you get the 325 or 425 so you get that rear hydraulics.

I don't think 425 would fit in your garage but you would have to measure with ROPs down.

325 would fit in your garage my guess, but you would still need to measure.

I just measured in my garage is 6 ft 8 in with the door open at the lowest point. My 425 goes in it with about 3 in to spare maybe more

So I'm sure the 325 would fit and most subcompacts would fit some compacts might even fit in your garage if they have normal size R4s

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #15  
Been happy with my MF GC1720, has folding ROPS and fits in my standard garage.
I am on 6 acres, about 3/4 woods and lots of dead ash.
I use a thumb on the backhoe instead of a grapple.

You should try and drive some of the ones you are looking at to get a feel for comfort and layout.

I have to agree on rental for the stump grinder.
I got a less expensive splitter, I use it a lot with the ash rounds.
Forks for the front work well moving stuff.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #16  
Have fun shopping, and if you get a Kubota, don’t worry too much about dealer distance. I have never actually had to have any kind of repair at the dealer done on my BX25, and it is now 12 years old! But in any case I have a car hauler trailer which I used when I went to the dealer to get my snowblower mounted. And one other time when I was too lazy to change all the fluids!

By the way, when I bought my BX 25, I only had 3/4 of an acre! But since then, I have bought another 25 acres about 500 yards away.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #17  
Whatever tractor you get, make sure it has a Universal Skid Steer Quick Attach on the FEL. That opens a very wide door of generic attachments, from a great many makers, that will fit your tractor's FEL. Most tractors have them, but not all. Cheers!

/ Looking to buy my first tractor
Thanks for the advice so far. Talking through it with my SO, I am leaning towards Kubota. Dealers are closer and there are more of them and it'll hold value a bit more than a Yanmar if I ever sell. Kubota also has R14 tires while Yanmar only offers R4 or turf.

I have a splitter and have split and sold quite a bit of firewood over the last couple years.

I think most of the tractors I'm looking at will fit with ROPs folded down. Only Cab or 4 post models would be an issue. I hope to add a lean to at some point, but for now I'll park the tractor in the garage and maybe a temporary shelter for the lawn tractor, snow blower, and garden tractor.

I have been going back and forth on buying a PTO stump grinder or renting. I'm thinking about renting and seeing what I can get done in a day or two and going from there. If It's slow going I'll probably buy one so I can just work at it as I have time.

Also, I have gone to look at in person all the brands with dealers nearish except TYM, LS, and Bobcat. Bobcat should be similar to Kioti and LS should be similar to New Holland. I drove the JD 1025R, MF GC1723, Yanmar SA424, Kioti CS2510 and CS2520, and Kubota B2601. I sat on the New Holland work master 25s, Yanmar SA325, MF GC1725m, and maybe a couple others. There are a couple Bobcat dealers I've been too, but none had a Bobcat in stock and primarily sold other brands. I think that's about it for local options. The Yanmar and Kubota dealers seem to be the best by quite a large margin so I'm definitely going with one of those two brands.

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #19  
Thanks for the advice so far. Talking through it with my SO, I am leaning towards Kubota. Dealers are closer and there are more of them and it'll hold value a bit more than a Yanmar if I ever sell. Kubota also has R14 tires while Yanmar only offers R4 or turf.

I have a splitter and have split and sold quite a bit of firewood over the last couple years.

I think most of the tractors I'm looking at will fit with ROPs folded down. Only Cab or 4 post models would be an issue. I hope to add a lean to at some point, but for now I'll park the tractor in the garage and maybe a temporary shelter for the lawn tractor, snow blower, and garden tractor.

I have been going back and forth on buying a PTO stump grinder or renting. I'm thinking about renting and seeing what I can get done in a day or two and going from there. If It's slow going I'll probably buy one so I can just work at it as I have time.

You really can't go wrong with the Orange. Post Pics and hang around if you pull the trigger. Try and negotiate some of the options you want on it when buying.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #20  
As far as LS goes, look at their MT225-S.... bigger than the NH 25s. Has a lot of features.... far more than the MT125, which is the NH25s